Or was it Designed???

by Slidin Fast 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

Perry 7 hours ago

No sensible scientist would comment on their commitment to "Darwinism". This simple fact is beyond all sensible debate.

Perry,

Do you think that the way you have presented this 'quote' above is dishonest? I certainly do because you are presenting 2 unrelated sentences in an effort to make the reader think that this is what Cofty is saying.

The first sentence is about creationist's use of the word Darwinism. The second sentence is in relation to the fact of common descent. You are extremely dishonest...

• never a jw
    never a jw

from a common ancestor over millions of years.

Billions... just little details

• stockholm_Syndrome
    stockholm_Syndrome

Oh I get it - Because young children brought up in Christian households grow up trusting -then following- their parents this somehow validates Godism

Or maybe - because these good christian kids go onto university --this somehow proves Godism

Hmmmm

Maybe because there is a list of academic Hindu scientists saying Brahma created the universe we should subscribe to this view -

Or maybe we should just accept that the bible describes a violent, jealous and racist supreme being that belongs to an ancient barbaric uneducated era.....

• cofty
    cofty

Perry - You are too easily impressed by the label "scientist".

Just because some engineer or high school physics teacher rejects evolution is irrelevant.

Please link me to the peer-reviewed articles that refute common descent.

• Perry
    Perry
    In fact the best discovery of soft tissue in dino fossils was published just last week.

Cofty,

I think this is the recent discovery that you were referring to earlier. I wasn't aware of this one yet. Thank you.

It confirms my prediction on this forum many years ago that much more ancient soft tissue would continue to be found and that the soft tissue would be found irrespective of the presumed age of the donor.

In other words, if the current dating methods are wrong, (see above) then it wouldn't matter whether the specimen is one million, 65 million, or in this case 195 Million years old... original soft tissue will be found in all of them and will continue to be found. That is exactly what is playing out here. See carbon dating of original dinosaur tissue here.

• cofty
    cofty

Carbon dating dino fossils is like using a digital stopwatch to measure the speed of a glacier.

Embarrassing! Try to know a little bit about what you are criticising. Soft tissue in fossils is very exciting. It offers no comfort at all to creationists by the way.

Still waiting for you to answer my question.

• Perry
    Perry

Cofty,

Do you have some sort of degree in the subjects in which present yourself as an expert?

Try to know a little bit about what you are criticising.

Your general attitude is a huge turn off. At this time, I will not engage in a lengthy discussion with you because you don't even attempt to reel in the ad hominem, appeals to authority, circular reasoning, strawmen, ad infinitum fallacies.

Have a blessed day Cofty!

• WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

Perry -

Cofty is laughing at you (as am I) because your utter lack of knowledge in this subject is such that you cannot see the ridiculousness of the statements you are making (my higher education credentials are in geology and related Earth sciences). Even your accusations of logical fallacies get a chuckle out of me because you seem not to notice that what you are accusing Cofty of perpetrating, you are actually committing yourself!

• cofty
    cofty

Oh look Perry has found a website that lists logical fallacies. This will from now on be his excuse for never answering a question.

Do you have some sort of degree in the subjects in which present yourself as an expert?
    No but I am a bit of an expert as a result of hard work to educate myself about something I was ignorant about. I used to be a creationist like you even though I now realise I knew nothing about the subject. Here are a few posts for you start your education. It will be a few hours that could change your life.

#1 Protein Functional Redundancy

Comparing the sequences of amino acids in ubiquitous proteins confirms the relationship between all living things.

#2 DNA Functional Redundancy
    Comparison of the DNA that codes for the amino acids of ubiquitous proteins predicts the tree of life with an astonishing degree of accuracy.

#3 ERVs
    Endogenous retroviruses that infected our ancestors are found in the same place of the genome of our closest primate cousins.

#4 Smelly Genes
    Hundreds of broken genes that used to code for olfactory receptors in our ancestors are still found in our genome.

#5 Vitamin C
    Why humans can no longer make their own vitamin C and what that tells us about our species' history.

#6 Human Chromosome 2
    Our second biggest chromosome is made up of two of our ancestors' chromosomes stuck end-to-end.

#7 Human Egg Yolk Gene
    Humans and our primate cousins have the genes for making vitellogenin and they are all broken in the same way.

#8 Jumping Genes
    Bits of parasitic code called ALU elements prove our common ancestry with primates.

#9 Less Chewing More Thinking
    A broken gene for a type of muscle fibre we no longer have tells a story about our evolutionary past.

#10 Non-Coding DNA
    In common with many other species huge amounts of our genome originated as copying errors.

#11 Tiktaalik
    An amazing fossil discovery illustrates the transition of life from sea to land.

#12 Lenski's E.coli Experiment
    An experiment with E.Coli, now in it's third decade, demonstrates the power of natural selection.

#13 Morris Minor Bonnets
    Evolution has to make do with building on existing designs as illustrated by the recurrent laryngeal nerve.

#14 Joey Goes to Oz
    Fossil evidence for the origins of marsupials found in Antarctica exactly as predicted.

#15 Robinson Crusoe
    The biogeography of oceanic islands presents an impossible dilemma for creationism.

#16 Aquatic Mammals
    An excellent sequence of fossils illustrates the evolutionary journey of whales from land to sea.

#17 Belyaev's Silver Foxes
    A 50 year breeding programme demonstrates the amazing power of selection and the interconnected nature of genes.

#18 Fish Fingers
    The evolution of limbs is mapped out in an amazing sequence of ancient fish fossils.

#19 Goosebumps
    A vestigial reflex bequeathed by our hairier ancestors.

#20 Lucy in the Sky...
    An exceptional fossil of a 3 million year old hominid.

#21 Footprints in the Sand...
    Footprints at Laetoli show our Australopithecus afarensis ancestors were bipedal 3.6 million years ago.

#22 The Hillocks of Hiss...
    A vestigial feature if the human ear shared by 10% of the population demonstrates our evolutionary history.

#23 Faunal Succession...
    The consistent sequence of fossils found in the rocks can only be explained by evolution.

#24 The Origin of Your Inner Ear...
    How the bones that reptiles eat with became the bones that we hear with.

#25 Deep Time...
    Scottish geologist Andrew Hutton discovered the proof of earth's great antiquity.

#26 Colour Vision...
    How gene duplication - new "information" -and mutation equipped us with trichromatic vision.

#27 Monkeys, Typewriters, Shakespeare, 747s etc...
    Evolution is a combination of random mutations and non-random selection.

#28 Something Darwin Didn't Say...
    A long term study of pigeons demonstrates how natural selection acts on a local population.

#29 Use it or Lose it...
    Fossil genes reveal the history of modern species.

#30 Your Third Eyelid...
    The remnants of a nictitating membrane reveals our evolutionary history.

#31 Ten Questions For Creationists ...
    The basic facts about reality covered so far pose an impossible challenge to creationism.

#32 Sexual Selection
    How female mating preferences led to some of the most remarkable features of living things.

#33 A Tale About Tails
    Human embryology reveals our primate history.

#34 Hiccups and Tadpoles
    How hiccups are a relic of our amphibian ancestors.

#35 Nature Red in Tooth and Claw
    Nature's ability to inflict pain and suffering in the battle for survival.

#36 Mass Extinctions
    96% of life was wiped out in The Great Dying 250 million years ago.

#37 Testicles
    The plumbing of the vas deferens gives evidence of our fish ancestry

#38 The Origin of Complex Cells
    How a merger of simple cells made complexity possible

• cofty
    cofty

Twenty Questions For Perry - Answers are in the links

. Since some proteins can be assembled in more ways than there are atoms in the universe why do the sequences of amino acids and bases vary between species in exactly the way evolution predicts? 1, 2

2. Why do humans and other primates have virus DNA, and other bits of non-coding text, in exactly same place in their genomes? 3, 8, 10

3. Why do humans and other species have broken genetic code for features that they no longer possess? 4, 5, 7, 9, 29

4. Why does human chromosome 2 consist of two primate chromosomes joined end-to-end? 6

5. How do you explain the amazing fossils that demonstrate major transitions? 11, 16, 18, 24

6. Why do the same fossils always appear in the same layers of rock in a way that is totally predictable? 23

7. Who were the hominids that walked upright more than 3 million years ago? 20, 21

8. Why do humans have vestigial features? 19, 22, 30

9. Why does the distribution of species align exactly with evolution? 14, 15

10. How does creationism explain bad design like the recurrent laryngeal nerve? 13

And a bonus question for "young-earth" creationists...

How do you explain geological features like the unconformity at Siccar Point? 25

Explanations of natural selection and examples of how it works can be found at the following posts 12, 17, 26, 27, 28

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit