Evolution is a Fact #34 - Hiccups and Tadpoles

by cofty 43 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Hiccups are a weird phenomena. They are a combination of two involuntary actions - firstly a rapid inhalation of breath followed 35 milliseconds later by the glottis at the back of the throat suddenly closing off our airway.

Our normal breathing is controlled by a "central pattern generator" in a small region of the brain stem close to the boundary with the spinal cord. A signal is sent along the vagus and phrenic nerves resulting in a rhythmic contraction of muscles in chest, diaphragm and throat.

These nerves branch off right at the top of the spinal cord and follow a convoluted path through the chest cavity. Any spasm in these nerves result in the first part of a hiccup.

But what about the second part - the snapping shut of the glottis with the resulting comical squeak - where did that come from?

It turns out that the pattern generator responsible for hiccups in humans is virtually identical to one in tadpoles.

Fish breathe by extracting oxygen from water in their gills. Amphibians breathe by extracting oxygen from air in their lungs. Tadpoles, who metamorph into frogs, have gills and lungs and can do both. Our evolutionary ancestors who emerged from sea onto dry land also had a combination of lungs and gills.

When tadpoles breathe with their gills they inhale water into their mouths and then the pattern-generator in their brain stem rapidly closes the glottis to block the path to the lungs and forcing it out through the gills. This involuntary sequence still exists in the wiring of the most ancient part of our brains and when it is accidently triggered gives us hiccups.

In experiments, gill-breathing in tadpoles can be interrupted by increasing the level of CO2 or by stretching the wall of the chest. The tadpole then reverts to lung breathing. Hiccups can be interrupted in the very same way. Breathing into a paper bag increases the CO2 levels and holding a deep breath stretches the diaphragm. Your best chance is to stop the bout in the first ten hics otherwise it is likely to last an average of sixty.

Spare a thought for Iowa resident Charles Osborne who started hiccupping in 1922 and didn't stop until February 1990.

Evolution is a Fact 1 - 30 Index...

#31 Ten Questions For Creationists ...
    The basic facts about reality covered so far pose an impossible challenge to creationism.

#32 Sexual Selection
    How female mating preferences led to some of the most remarkable features of living things.

#33 A Tale About Tails
    Human embryology reveals our primate history.

• notsurewheretogo
    notsurewheretogo
    Never knew that, deeply fascinating.
  • WhatshallIcallmyself
    WhatshallIcallmyself

Good Post. Thanks

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

Hiccups????

Really???? That's it? That proves Evolution as a fact?

• Quarterback
    Quarterback

By the look of your History of posting on this site, I would say that you have a campaign in promoting Evolution. I counted at least 15 posts that highlights your views on Evolution within the last two months. Weather that is right or wrong on a JW Discussion website is not for me to judge.

Oh well, you have found some support for this view on here.

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

Wait a second. . . .

I thought the origin of hiccups was that Jehovah smote everyone working on the Tower of Babel with them. . ..

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie
    What about me, who has never experienced hiccups - does that mean tadpoles are not my ancestors, that I have to look elsewhere for my great-great-great etc. father/mother?
  • scary21
    scary21

Yes, many of us appreciate your posts. All the information and the research you bring,

I love science !

• cofty
    cofty
    Hiccups???? Really???? That's it? That proves Evolution as a fact? - Quarterback

Of course not, that would be simplistic.

Evolution is proven to be a fact by a mountain of evidence from many fields of science including genetics, biogeography, comparative anatomy, paleontology and more. If you search google scholar for "human evolution" you will get links for over 4 million scientific papers.

I counted at least 15 posts that highlights your views on Evolution within the last two months. - Quarterback

The title of this thread is "Evolution is a Fact #34..." There are plenty more to come. Here is a link to the first 30...

There are links to #31-33 at the bottom of the OP. There are plenty more to come.

You might want to take a look at these ten basic questions for creationists...

Weather that is right or wrong on a JW Discussion website is not for me to judge. - Quarterback

Creationism is the fundamental doctrine of JWs. No Adam and Eve means no ransom. Of course it is appropriate to challenge JW teachings on a JW discussion forum.

Oh well, you have found some support for this view on here.

Evolution isn't a "view" it's a fact.

• cofty
    cofty
    What about me, who has never experienced hiccups - does that mean tadpoles are not my ancestors, that I have to look elsewhere for my great-great-great etc. father/mother? - Old Hippy

Of course not. Hiccups are one of many clues in our bodies to our ancestry. Not everybody has the same atavistic features.

Do you get goosebumps?

Do you have a Darwin's Point on your ears?

Can you wiggle your ears?

Do you have a nictitating membrane in your eyes?

Why did you have a tail when you were an embryo?

The strongest evidence for your ancestry is in the DNA in every cell in your body. See numbers 1-8...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit