Evolution is a Fact #20 - Lucy in the Sky ....

by cofty 21 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

When Donald Johanson and his colleagues returned to the Afar region of Ethiopia in 1974 they were full of optimism. It was their second season searching for human fossils around Hadar.

The previous November Johanson had found a fossilised knee joint that was dated to more than 3 million years ago. When the tibia and femur was put together it was clear that they were from an upright walking hominid. In apes the leg bones form a straight line but in humans the joint is angular. This was the first fossil of it's kind from this age and gave hope that there was more to come.

The 1974 season started promisingly with the discovery of a hominid jaw but little else. Then on 24th November Johanson and a colleague were returning to the Land Rover at a site more than a mile from the location where the knee had been found the previous year. Johanson spotted an arm bone on the slope of a gulley. Beside it he quickly found a part of a skull, a femur, some ribs a pelvis and lower jaw.

That evening there was a party back at the camp with colleagues from America, Britain and France as well as local guides and guards. The tape that was played loudly and repeatedly included the Beatles' "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds". Confident that the fossils belonged to a female hominid they decided to christen her Lucy.

Careful searching and sifting over the next few weeks turned up several hundred bone fragments making up 40% of the skeleton. Lucy was young but sexually mature - probably about 12 years old at the time of her death. She does not seem to have died as a result of violence. She was about three and a half feet tall and weighed around 60 pounds. Her arms were similar in length to a modern human but that is obviously long in proportion to her height.

Due to the volcanic layers above and below the strata where Lucy was found dating her remains has proven to be very consistent using Argon-Argon radiometric dating.

Lucy is the most famous specimen of a species known as Australopithecus afarensis - "Southern Ape from Afar". Her skeleton has lots of evidence showing that she walked upright. The knee joint was capable of locking straight. Apes never fully straighten their knees because they can't. Try standing or walking with slightly bent knees and see how long you last.

The femur was angled in relation to the condyles - the knobbly bits on the end of the bone. This angle makes it possible to balance on one leg at a time while walking. The condyles are large to support the load of bipedal walking. The big toe has come into line with the other toes unlike the splayed big toe of apes. Even her spine shows evidence of the curves that we all have to accommodate our upright posture.

Since 1974 the fossil remains of more than 300 of Lucy's species have been found. Australopithecus afarensis lived between 3.85 and 2.95 million years ago in Eastern Africa.

They had both ape and human characteristics with apelike face proportions and a small brain, usually less than 500 cubic centimeters -- about 1/3 the size of a modern human brain. They had long, strong arms with curved fingers adapted for climbing trees. They also had small canine teeth like all other early humans. Their adaptations for living both in the trees and on the ground helped them survive for almost a million years as climate and environments changed. The species survived for more than 900,000 years, which is over four times as long as our own species has been around.

#1 Protein Functional Redundancy . . . . . . . #2 DNA Functional Redundancy
    #3 ERVs #4 Smelly Genes
    #5 Vitamin C #6 Human Chromosome 2
    #7 Human Egg Yolk Gene #8 Jumping Genes
    #9 Less Chewing More Thinking #10 Non-Coding DNA
    #11 Tiktaalik #12 Lenski's E.coli Experiment
    #13 Morris Minor Bonnets #14 Joey Goes to Oz
    #15 Robinson Crusoe #16 Aquatic Mammals
    #17 Belyaev's Silver Foxes #18 Fish Fingers
    #19 Goosebumps
  • cappytan
    cappytan
    From the title, I thought this one was gonna be about LSD. lol
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

[edit]

She had a triangular jaw compared to our U-shaped one and a chimpanzee's rectangular jaw. Their upper torso was wider at the bottom than on top with narrow shoulders. And her arms went down to her knees.All in all Lucy was one ugly lady.

• Mephis
    Mephis
    One of the things which always strikes me about the Lucy skeleton is just how tiny it is. Hip height to me when I've stood next to reconstructions. So incredibly small.
  • Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

This is a informative talk on biological evolution concerning human evolution. .

http://library.fora.tv/2011/05/09/Lucys_Legacy_The_Quest_for_Human_Origins

• Finkelstein
  • Fisherman
    Fisherman
    Thanks for the links fink.
  • Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Over twenty years ago I bought Lucy The Beginnings of Humankind by Donald Johanson and Maitland Edey from the British Library and I've always intended to read it but little details like finances and getting a roof over our heads got in the way. So I have finally started it thanks to this thread. At this point I would just mention Johanson says Lucy was about 25-30 and not 12 when she died because she had fully erupted wisdom teeth that showed evidence of at least a couple of years of wear.
  • cofty
    cofty

:thumbsup:

Please let us know some of the highlights of that book xant.

There has been a lot of progress in human origins recently. It's becoming less clear how many different species can be identified. A number of species lived at the same time and interbred..

Johanson says Lucy was about 25-30 and not 12 when she died

Yes that's possible. The reason for the younger estimate by some authors is that Australopithecus lived shorter accelerated life-spans.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Please let us know some of the highlights of that book xant.
    Yes I will.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit