Or was it Designed???

by Slidin Fast 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

AWAKE! NO. 1 2017 Says on its back page.

THE Saharan silver ant (Cataglyphis bombycina) is one of the most heat-tolerant land animals known. When the midday Saharan sun forces the ant’s predators to seek shade, the ant makes brief forays from its burrow in search of food, which consists of other insects killed by the intense heat.
    The Saharan silver ant’s compound heat shield helps the insect to keep its body temperature below the maximum it can tolerate—128.5 degrees Fahrenheit (53.6°C). Inspired by that tiny creature, researchers are working to develop special coatings that enhance passive cooling—that is, cooling without the aid of fans or other devices.
    What do you think? Did the compound heat shield of the Saharan silver ant come about by evolution? Or was it designed?

This article set me thinking so I did a little further cursory reading. It turns out that this ant inhabits a short (10 minute) time frame at about midday in the Sahara. Why? The temperature becomes too hot for lizards at 47 degrees Celsius and too hot for the ants at 53 degrees Celsius. During this 10 minute window the ants scoot out and take the heat affected dead and dying back under ground.

So, did the almighty god say “hmm, look at the Sahara there is a 10 minute gap in activity there at midday. I will invent a creature that can take advantage of all the others in which I made a design flaw. That’s better, it can eat them alive”?

Or

Is it a magnificent example of adaptation in form and behaviour that has made these fascinating animals able to find a niche in time and space that they can successfully thrive?

To me there is only one answer to the question:

What do you think? Did the compound heat shield of the Saharan silver ant come about by evolution? Or was it designed?

And it isn’t creation. What say you?

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

AWAKE is full of Fake News and Twisted Info and False Questions.

Perfect for the weak minded and those who would rather be told what to think.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

Good thoughts. They may come back to you stating that yes, their Jehovah indeed made it that way to show how amazing and powerful he is. In fact, Genesis blah blah blah, and so they go on a tangent.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Ah, the wonders of nature!

The violence in nature, storms, tornadoes, typhoons, floods, earthquakes, hailstones, volcanoes, etc. tell me that if god 'created', he must have enjoyed violence. The food chain is another example. Specie devouring specie in very graphic and violent ways speaks volumes to the violent nature of all creation.

In the bible, the manner in which god destroyed the wicked is usually depicted as very violent events. I’ve often wondered why he just didn’t make the wicked simply disappear without a trace. Why the need to graphically describe their violent end?

Let’s face it, the real world; both in nature and in humanity are inherently violent.

just saying!

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Oh why did Dog make Predators? I thought all was designed to be a peace and to eat straw?

• waton
    waton

the design process involved a "family dinner"***. The not so well shielded ants died, were eaten by their siblings. Nature's outworkings were determined in the original beginning, creation event.

*** catchy term quoted from a recent science story on the benefit of cannibalism.

• ScenicViewer
    ScenicViewer

The Saharan silver ant’s compound heat shield helps the insect to keep its body temperature below the maximum it can tolerate—128.5 degrees Fahrenheit (53.6°C).

Did the compound heat shield of the Saharan silver ant come about by evolution? Or was it designed? What do you think?

Doesn't this set up a contradiction within the Watchtower belief system?

Watchtower subscribes to the "water canopy" theory in understanding Genesis 1:6,7

6 And God went on to say: “Let an expanse come to be in between the waters and let a dividing occur between the waters and the waters.” 7 Then God proceeded to make the expanse and to make a division between the waters that should be beneath the expanse and the waters that should be above the expanse. And it came to be so.

Watchtower explains that the layer of water "above the expanse" (the water canopy) provided the flood water of Noah's day when God caused it to collapse, and that before the flood the extreme temperatures of today did not exist. Rather than having the frozen poles of the arctic and antarctic, and the extreme heat of deserts, the water canopy caused temperatures world wide to be moderate. They describe as a hothouse effect.

(As a side point Watchtower claims the collapse of the water canopy is how mammoths became suddenly frozen, with green grass still in their mouths and stomachs. When the water canopy collapsed there was a sudden deep freeze at the poles.)

So, why would God create insects with a heat shield that were designed to tolerate extreme heat if extreme heat did not exist at the time of creation?

• Magnum
    Magnum

ScenicViewer, I was thinking the same thing. It does set up a contradiction within the JW belief system. I've known about this contradiction and seen examples of it for decades. It always disturbed me, but I just filed it away and figured that one day I'd be able to find a resolution to the contradiction.

JW: "Ah, the wonders of creation. Consider the magnificent polar bear. It is marvelously designed to be able to thrive in extremely cold areas."

nonJW: "But I thought there originally weren't supposed to be any extremely cold areas according to JW theology, so why would God design an animal for such environments?"

JW: [crickets]

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

ScenicViwer and Magnum, brilliant points, you reminded me of the line: “Oh, what a tangled web we weave...when first we practice to deceive.” Walter Scott.

The more you try to manipulate truth, the more tangled the mist-mash of misinformation you create.

Edit I have no idea where the massive font came from

• cofty
    cofty

All the wonderful "designs" we so admire in nature are for the purpose of getting laid and/or killing other wonderful things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit