Evolution is a Fact #35 - Nature Red in Tooth and Claw

by cofty 18 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

Genes only get copied to future generations if the bodies they help to build succeed in surviving and reproducing. These sort of genes thrive in the gene pool and genes that build unsuccessful bodies don't. This blindingly obvious fact is at the very core of understanding evolution by natural selection.

Being born, finding food and shelter, escaping predators, fighting opponents, attracting a mate and raising the next generation - the challenges faced by living things are daunting. At every stage there is competition from other bodies built by other genes struggling for survival in the same environment.

Evolution has devised astonishing strategies to win at any cost and the battle begins even before birth. Here are a couple of examples of the sort of thing Herbert Spencer had in mind when he coined the phrase "survival of the fittest".

Great Egrets often have enough food for only two chicks, although a mother egret typically bears three. By sometimes allowing their older children to kill the youngest, the parents guarantee that they raise two well-fed, strong chicks who have an excellent chance to mature and reproduce. The two oldest egret chicks are destined for success even before birth. Douglas Mock and colleague Hubert Schwabl recently discovered that the first egg to form inside the mother egret always gets the highest dose of the hormones, or chemical messengers, that trigger aggressive behaviour. The second egg in line gets the same dose. But egg number three gets only about half the amount. With less tendency to be aggressive, the youngest chick is less able to defend itself against its more aggressive siblings.

Female sand tiger shark produces 400 to 500 embryos at a time. While still in the womb, these embryo sharks grow razor-sharp teeth, the embryonic sharks start to eat other embryos. Within a few months, three to four dominant sharks engage in a life-or-death struggle until only one survives. By the time it is born, the sole-surviving shark pup has become an experienced predator. Amazing film taken inside the womb recently appeared on UK television clearly demonstrating this behaviour.

These are just two of countless examples of the carnage that is the experience of all living things. Unlike the cartoon characters of Disney, animals don't live happy ever after. They die in pain and in distress from predation, parasites, starvation, exposure or disease.

Every anatomical feature of an animal, from its skeleton, camouflage, jaw and teeth, digestive system, eyesight, claws, hearing, even the molecular structure of the myosin in its muscle fibre equips it to kill or escape predation.

All of this makes perfect sense in the light of evolution by natural selection.

If on the other hand "god's invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world's creation" what does it tell us about god?

"Who trusted God was love indeed

And love Creation’s final law–

Tho’ Nature, red in tooth and claw

With ravine, shriek’d against his creed" - In Memoriam by Alfred Lord Tennyson

Evolution is a Fact 1 - 30 Index...

#31 Ten Questions For Creationists ...
    The basic facts about reality covered so far pose an impossible challenge to creationism.

#32 Sexual Selection
    How female mating preferences led to some of the most remarkable features of living things.

#33 A Tale About Tails
    Human embryology reveals our primate history.

#34 Hiccups and Tadpoles
    How hiccups are a relic of our amphibian ancestors.

• cofty
    cofty

Dr. Manfred E. Rau of McGill University in Montreal, recently found that two types of closely related parasitic worms can dramatically influence the behaviour of mice to suit their own needs.

One worm will prompt the mouse to become hyperactive, scampering through fields so frenetically that it attracts the attention of a predatory bird that will eat the mouse and the worm with it. When the bird eats the mouse, it provides the necessary next home for the parasitic larvae.

The related worm species will cause a mouse to become sluggish, heightening the chance it will be easily caught and eaten by the carnivorous mammals that this worm requires for its second shelter.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    I was watching Jungle Animal Hospital on TV yesterday evening and a vet was treating a baby spider monkey in Guatemala for a lump on the back of its neck. He cut into it and pulled out this huge insect, the larvae of something, I can't remember its name. It was revolting and the vet said it would have pressed on the tiny monkey's spine and probably killed it. Reminds me of Darwin and Ichneumonidae.
  • defender of truth
    defender of truth

Here are some examples of ancient predators, from another thread:

ziddina 4 years ago

...extremely ancient forms of life - that predate humans by millions of years - show clear evidence of predation - predators and prey existed VERY early in the fossil records, from the Cambrian era [540 million years ago] to our modern world of lions, tigers and bears...

http://science.nationalgeographic.com/science/prehistoric-world/cambrian/

http://bjo.bmj.com/content/88/2/164.full

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notrocketscience/2011/12/07/anomalocaris-sharp-eyes-predator/

www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/222352/theists-why-does-god-allow-suffering?page=3

The following example was also given by Cofty on the same thread. See the page for full details..

Taung child lived 2.5 million years ago in the Pliocene era.

Professor Lee Berger of Wits University's palaeoanthropology unit discovered that a bird of prey similar to the African crown hawk eagle had swooped down and seized the child with its large talons and beak, killing it immediately. He said the evidence was so convincing he could "prosecute the eagle killer in court".

www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/222352/theists-why-does-god-allow-suffering?page=8

• Half banana
    Half banana

The sand tiger shark takes the biscuit in demonstrating the crudest form of survival of the fittest. I am reminded as Xanthippe mentions; Darwin's ichneumon wasp and also I add the critter from Alien.

Tennyson's line "red in tooth and claw" was carefully used by TH Huxley and as an outstanding marine biologist, wouldn't he just have loved to have discovered the tiger sand sharks unique gestation? It is an uncomfortable to view but perfect paradigm of Evolution.

Science is about progress and it took until 1948 before intra-womb cannibalism was discovered.

Devoted parenting can be found but there is no sentimentality in the real scientific world of nature.

• Half banana
    Half banana
    meant to say...it is an uncomfortable thing to view but a perfect paradigm of evolution.
  • cofty
    cofty
    Defender of Truth - That is an important point that predatory behaviour can be seen in the fossil record a long time before there were humans and any so-called "fall".
  • Jerryh
    Jerryh

it is an uncomfortable thing to view but a perfect paradigm of evolution.

Half banana referring to "survival of the fittest"

there is no sentimentality in the real scientific world of nature.

I was never a JW and visit this board only to gain from others experience. I am a Christian, not much of one,

but that's another story. I see that many posters here have rejected the existence of God based on the

"problem of evil". This problem is not new of course and has its own name (theodicy) and is unlikely to

be settled in a forum post. I usually visit here for JW insight but in this thread I see an opportunity to ask

for another kind and I am genuinely asking. In the USA April 15 is evil but that also another story.

This man was J. Bruce Ismay. You can read about Bruce at Wikipedia. Was he evil on April 15 1912?

Can you identify with Bruce in any way? Any sentiment at all? Was Bruce only driven by a proven scientific

principle? Please don't hear this as questioning evolution. It takes more pesticides / antibiotics. Case closed.

Next case. Evolution exists and is a topic for consideration. Evil exists and is a topic for consideration. Was

J. Bruce Ismay, Leslie Van Houton, me and you altogether molecules? In my culture there are few

people openly unbelievers, hypocrites aplently but that still another story. I honestly am asking, how do

self professed unbelievers explain evil?

• cofty
    cofty

Here is another fiendish example.

There is a parasitic larvae that can drive its host mad. Rather than hiding underneath the foliage the infested snail ascends to the top of a blade of grass. At the same time, a few of the invading larvae migrate to the snail's antennae, turn bright colours and pulsate, transforming its feelers into a reasonable facsimile of a caterpillar.

That resemblance catches the attention of birds, which then consume the hapless gastropod. Once in the guts of the birds, the larval worms can mature and reproduce.

"All things bright and beautiful
    All creatures great and small,
    All things wise and wonderful,
    The Lord God made them all."

• cofty
    cofty

Hi Jerryh our posts overlapped.

I think that the problem of evil is a fatal challenge to christian theism. Specifically "natural evil" such as earthquakes and tsunamis.

We had a very long discussion about it here...

See the post four up from the end of the last page.

I think you are asking about why some people behave in ways that we might call evil. It is impossible to be sure in any specific case but surely there are factors that include nature and nurture.

I think a definitive answer is most likely to be found in neuroscience.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit