Evolution is a Fact #18 - Fish Fingers

by cofty 9 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• cofty
    cofty

In number 11 of this series we looked at Neil Shubin's discovery of the fossil Tiktaalik. It is an amazing intermediate form between fish and land animals complete with both lungs and gills as well as ribs, a jaw, a flat head and teeth. Crucially it displayed the beginnings of leg bones that are common to all modern tetrapods. It had a humerus, radius, ulna and wrist bones but also retained the fin-ray bones of it's fish ancestors.

Tiktaalik is just one of many fossils that display the journey of our ancestors from the sea to life on dry land.

This picture shows just a few samples of many fossils that have been discovered from this important period of life's history between 385 and 360 million years ago.

More than 2000 specimens of Eusthenopteron have been collected from the same location at the Miguasha cliffs. These were surface-hunting fish and probably never came onto the land but the front fin was supported by bones identifiable as a humerus, ulna and radius, and the rear fins by a femur, fibula and tibia although bones distal to a wrist or ankle are not present.

Acanthostega had a number of primitive features. One of those was the proportion of the bones in the forearm. In most tetrapods, the ulna is longer than the radius but in the fish it’s the other way round - and that was the condition in Acanthostega. It was basically still an inhabitant of the water. Its limbs were too floppy and its backbone too weak to support itself on land. Not only that, but despite the presence of lungs, Acanthostega had very fish-like gills. Possibly the most amazing feature of this species was the fact that it had eight fingers.

Nearer the amphibian side of the gap 20 million years later comes Ichthyostega discovered in Greenland in 1932 and buried there in the days when Greenland was at the equator. This creature had seven toes.

Icthyostega is a really enigmatic animal. It’s got some features in which some limbs elements, like the humerus, are more primitive than that of Acanthostega, and yet other aspects of the anatomy of Icthyosthega suggest it was more terrestrial. Acanthostega seems to be almost certainly entirely aquatic, but Icthyostega has a really robust front limb that looks as though it could at least raise the front body off the ground, whereas the hind limb is a paddle and points backwards towards the animal’s tail.

This is just a very brief introduction to a few of the stars of this amazing collection of fossils. Those who continue to claim that there are no transitional species really have not looked at the evidence. Our ancestors developed lungs, legs, necks craniums and inner ears that made life on land possible. These fossils are not isolated examples. Many of these species are represented by hundreds or even thousands of specimens.

Life experimented with various formations of limb bones - TuIerpeton had six fingers - and today the same pattern of big bone >> two thinner bones >> lots of bones >> digits is the basic shape of the limbs of thousands of modern species from bats to birds to horses and humans.

Part 1 - Protein Functional Redundancy - - - - - - - - Part 2 - DNA Functional Redundancy
    Part 3 - ERVs Part 4 - Smelly Genes
    Part 5 - Vitamin C Part 6 - Human Chromosome 2
    Part 7 - Human Egg Yolk Gene Part 8 - Jumping Genes
    Part 9 - Less Chewing More Thinking Part 10 - Non-Coding DNA
    Part 11 - Tiktaalik Part 12 - Lenski's E.coli Experiment
    Part 13 - Morris Minor Bonnets Part 14 - Joey Goes to Oz
    Part 15 - Robinson Crusoe Part 16 - Aquatic Mammals
    Part 17 - Belyaev's Silver Foxes
  • Simon
    Simon

It's amazing how many theists claim there is no evidence of evolution and intermediate species when they are actually numerous examples showing animals adapting and transforming - and we only have limited snapshots of all the things that have swum, crawled and walked on this beautiful planet.

• cofty
    cofty

One of the scientific heroes of tetrapod history is the unassuming Jenny Clack.

One of her great discoveries was a fossil that was in storage in the geology department just a few yards from her lab in Cambridge. This led her to Greenland and the discovery of Acanthostega.

This film about her work is excellent. The audio is in English.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury

Yeah, but my imaginary invisible friend is real and those fossils are fakes.

The voices in my head told me to say that....

All scientists are gay as well... and that makes them worse than murderers, but not as bad as you God denying atheists.

• Witness My Fury
    Witness My Fury
    Oh, forgot to say, thanks for these Cofty. :)
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I've always been amazed by the 8 digits of Acanthostega - weird!

Will read the film about its discoverer later ...

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Thanks Cofty for the vid about Jenny Clack and the first tetrapods, the aquatic development of limbs. Absolutely fascinating. Her mind is very clear and she explains everything in a no nonsense way, without ego but with the pure joy of scientific discovery. The first women in her field to be accepted into the Royal Society! Well deserved.
  • cofty
    cofty
    Her mind is very clear and she explains everything in a no nonsense way, without ego but with the pure joy of scientific discovery

Yes that came across to me as well. When she went to Cambridge she already had her Doctorate but she was regularly addressed as Mrs Clack rather than Dr Clack. She thinks it was as much to do with being from a "red brick" university as with being a woman in what was then a man's field.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Thanks for posting this Cofty, very informative.

The snobbery and sexism that is still rife in Academia should be an embarrassment to them, but the perpetrators do not seem to be aware they are doing it.

I was reading a review of an academic book a while ago, which was damned with faint praise by the male academic reviewer, I am convinced it was because the Professor who wrote the book was female.

It is about time that Academia Evolved !

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Great vid.

Professor Clack comes across as a nice, down-to-earth northern lass.

Great use of initiative when she, as a museum technician, used that fossil as a way to get the interest of her former lecturer and get a PhD offer.

I feel slightly sad about some attitudes at Cambridge towards women and people from red brick uni's.

Hopefully this has changed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit