Since you on the right won't answer this question. Abortion

by dawg 148 Replies latest jw friends

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I also believe life begins at conception. That life wouldn't survive outside the womb, but it is life.

I've had 4 six week ultrasounds, and the little heart was beating in every one of them. Unfortunately one was in essence "aborted" as it was an ectopic pregnancy. I asked my sister in law if it's heart was beating, and she kindly lied to me and said no. But there were tears in her eyes. I said it was wasn't it..yes it was.

A friend of ours is raising a child of rape. Great kid, almost 11.

All of that being said, I wouldn't have an abortion, nor would I influence someone either way. I would just want them to be presented with all the facts and options. I've supported friends after an abortion.

I like this bumper sticker I saw: If it isn't a baby, then you aren't pregnant.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I dispute it. Life began around 3.8 billion years ago and has continued in an unbroken chain ever since. Conception is merely an alteration of already-existing life.

All life comes from life, I am part of the chain even now as you are, but that is not the point, is it? Even though we are on the chain, we are human individuals, not "mere alterations". This is conveniently reductionist.

Why not sentience, for example?

A human being that does not have sentience does not have the right to life by that criterion. Are you sentient when under the effects of anesthesia? Or when in a coma? Are you still human during this period?

From where does this right derive?

It must be treated as innate, inalienable and intrinsic to human life. It cannot be treated as something granted from without by any human authority. Who decides which characteristics make one a human? And to what degree must these characteristics be present? Ultimately, these decisions will be made by those in power. This is the foundation for totalitarianism. We are moving on that path, as this recent article in he Telegraph illustrates.

British ethicist: Senile should be “put down”

But what exactly is it that gives a human zygote rights

Human embryos, like fully mature human beings, are whole human organisms. As such, they are living members of the species homo sapiens. Human embryos contain the epigenetic primordia for internally directed growth as distinct and complete human individuals. They are human. Assuming the nonexistence of spirituality or other dualisms:

1) You and I are essentially physical organisms;

2) we came to be when the physical organisms we are came to be

3) the physical organisms you and I are came to be at conception.

4) You and I once were human embryos

BTS

• Aculama
    Aculama

I asked my grandmother what she thought about abortion. She said "When you plant an apple seed you don't get a pear tree.". I was only a kid when I asked her so it took a while to sink in. An abortion is a tragedy but it begins with bad choices and mistakes. I wish more adults, for or against abortion, would try to take an active intrest in helping kids to understand there are results that spring up from our choices. No matter what laws you have in place, it's better for a person to learn the benefits of making good choices. My cousin was only twelve when he got a girl pregnant in our neighborhood. Even though she put the baby up for adoption, it still haunts him.

• cognac
    cognac

Ok, just thought I'd give my viewpoint on this matter.

I was raped. It was terrible. It would have been a lot more traumatic for me if I'd taken the morning after pill. I would have had to live with the fact that I had, in my opinion, murdered an innocent child. My child.

I am pro-choice only in extreme circumstances. If a rape victim decided to take the morning after pill, that is her choice that she would have to live with.

However, I have a much bigger problem with people who have an abortion at around the 5th or 6th week of pregnancy. The child is no longer a zygote at the 5th week and at the beginning of the 6th week is typically the start of when the child has a heartbeat.

How many abortions happen after the 5th week??? At this point the child is no longer a zygote and so there is no question in my mind that I would view it as murder and nothing less. I think that women should not be allowed abortion after the 5th week unless there is an extreme circumstance.

• JeffT
    JeffT

For the record I am opposed to the death penalty, too.

• cognac
    cognac

Let me correct myself. I believe the child is no longer a zygote at week 3, not week 5 like I just said... So, I don't believe abortion should be allowed after week 3 except in extreme circumstances, not 5, like I said above.

According to this article: http://www.umm.edu/ency/article/002398.htm

• Week 3 of gestation
    • The brain, spinal cord, and heart begin to develop
    • The gastrointestinal tract begins to develop

• Aculama
    Aculama

Lavender, GREAT quote!

• dawg
    dawg

Respectfully, a "person is a person" when they no longer resemble a clump of cells that only have the resemblance of a clump of cells... that's my opinion.

But this is what we're talking about right, opinions? I find it hard to imagine, and maybe that's why so many have not answered this question... so I'll pose it again in hopes we all can have clarity...

What should be the penalty for those who abort early in the pregnancy (say before 5 weeks) If you consider abortion murder and that life begins at conception?

And I'll ask again, what about rape and incest? Should there be laws that make someone have the baby after rape.,.,. I'm talking law here not personal opinions.

Only St. Anne came clean about this, and I didn't jump her... I really just want to know.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

BurnTheShips:

All life comes from life, I am part of the chain even now as you are also, but that is not the point, is it?

No, because when life begins isn't the issue. What we should be asking is when personhood begins (or something very similar).

A human being that does not have sentience does not have the right to life by that criterion. Are you sentient when under the effects of anesthesia? Or when in a coma? Are you still human during this period?

I would still be human if I was brain-dead and being kept alive by machines. I would still be human - and alive, discrete and unique - if all that was left of me were cells growing in a petri dish. But I would not exist as a person. While under anaesthetic or in a coma, my personhood might be temporarily suspended but it's still there. How about we extend rights to beings that have been sentient in the past and are likely to be sentient again in the future even if they are not currently so? That seems reasonable to me, in a way that extending rights to entities that may at some future point achieve sentience does not.

It must be treated as innate, inalienable and intrinsic to human life.

That's not what I asked. I asked from where it derives. Your answer that it must be treated as innate merely tells me that your preferred end requires such treatment. Why must it be treated this way? What happens if we treat it differently?

It cannot be treated as something granted from without by any human authority. Who decides which characteristics make one a human? And to what degree must these characteristics be present? Ultimately, these decisions will be made by those in power. This the foundation for totalitarianism.

I don't see how. You are the one who seems to be making a totalitarian judgement. I welcome the questions you ask. When exactly should a being be granted rights, and what rights should those be? Merely declaring that being a member of H. sapiens gives an entity "innate, inalienable and intrinsic" rights adds nothing to the argument.

We are moving on that path, as this recent article in he Telegraph illustrates.

British ethicist: Senile should be “put down”

I welcome such a move, not forcing people to be "put down" but allowing people to painlessly opt out of life when that life is no longer worth living. I don't know a single person who would rather be a drooling, incontinent shell unable to recognise the family they burden than to be allowed to die with dignity, and nor, I suspect, do you.

Human embryos, like fully mature human beings, are whole human organisms.

Agreed.

As such, they are living members of the species homo sapiens.

Agreed.

Human embryos contain the epigenetic primordia for internally directed maturation as distinct and complete human individuals.

Agreed.

They are human.

Agreed, but you keep just saying the same thing in different ways. Yes, it's human, but why is that the important criterion? Replace the word "human" with "bonobo" and "Homo sapiens" with "Pan paniscus" in your statements above, and nothing significant changes. Add a chromosomal abnormality to the human zygote and any arguments you have about their relative potential future intelligence become worthless.

Assuming the nonexistence of spirituality or other dualisms:

1) You and I are essentially physical organisms;

2) we came to be when the physical organisms we are came to be; and

3) the physical organisms you and I are came to be at conception.

4) You and I once were human embryos

I initially thought the above was just a rehash of the trivial point you'd already made several times (namely, that a human embryo is human). But it's slightly more. You're saying that you began to be you and I began to be me at conception. That may be true in some sense. But there are many ways in which it is not true. The person I am certainly didn't just pop into existence fully formed. It has developed over the last 32 years or so, and while it's difficult to say exactly when I became a person capable of feeling, of suffering, of loving, of hoping and dreaming, it is certain that none of those things happened at conception. I'm glad the embryo that became me wasn't aborted, but I'm just as glad that the sperm that became half of me wasn't wasted in a wank so that doesn't really add to the argument.

Can you give me a good reason why we should treat a zygote like a person? I haven't seen one in your posts so far.

• lavendar
    lavendar
    What should be the penalty for those who abort early in the pregnancy (say before 5 weeks) If you consider abortion murder and that life begins at conception?

And I'll ask again, what about rape and incest? Should there be laws that make someone have the baby after rape.,.,. I'm talking law here not personal opinions.

Dawg, these are really tough, but good questions. To be very honest with you, I just don't know what the answer is.

All I know, deep down in my spirit, is that abortion is wrong. The Bible says in Proverbs 6:16,17 that "the Lord hates hands that shed innocent blood". How much more innocent is a little, defenseless child in the womb?

Lavendar

• Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit