Since you on the right won't answer this question. Abortion

by dawg 148 Replies latest jw friends

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

"I often wonder if they even think about all of the wonderful things that child could contribute to society, were it allowed to live."

Don't worry cat baby lady, we'll make more.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

Let us not forget that capital punishment was deemed appropriate for a wide variety of crimes under the Mosaic Law, not just murder. For instance, a rebellious child or an adulterous woman could be punished by death.

Since the death penalty was a punishment for crimes other than murder, should we necessarily conclude that Exodus 21 speaks to whether a fetus is considered a living person simply because it proscribes the death penalty for a person who causes a woman to miscarry?

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Oh Come on!!

you're own link has this prominently displayed:

Footnotes:

1. Exodus 21:22 Or she has a miscarriage
    2. ___________________________________________________

There is of course the desire of people who want desperately to have the old testament god validate their 20C opinion, to have the verse mean "birth prematurely". But it can't mean that, because it says no harm... and if there is no harm, then why the hell would there be a fine from the father? The "no harm" is obviously to the mother.

And the Amplified Bible, also from your link:

22 If men contend with each other, and a pregnant woman [interfering] is hurt so that she has a miscarriage, yet no further damage follows, [the one who hurt her] shall surely be punished with a fine [paid] to the woman's husband, as much as the judges determine.

23 But if any damage follows, then you shall give life for life,

24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,

25 Burn for burn, wound for wound, and lash for lash.

Or:

Exodus 21:22-25 (Contemporary English Version)

Contemporary English Version (CEV)

Copyright © 1995 by American Bible Society

22 Suppose a pregnant woman suffers a miscarriage [ a ] as the result of an injury caused by someone who is fighting. If she isn't badly hurt, the one who injured her must pay whatever fine her husband demands and the judges approve. 23 But if she is seriously injured, the payment will be life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, cut for cut, and bruise for bruise.

Footnotes:

1. Exodus 21:22 suffers a miscarriage: Or " gives birth before her time."

Or:

Exodus 21:22-25 (New Life Version)
    New Life Version (NLV)

Copyright © 1969 by Christian Literature International

22 "If men fight with each other and hit a woman who is going to have a child so that she loses her baby but no other hurt comes to her, he must pay whatever the woman's husband says he must, as agreed upon by the judges. 23 But if there is other hurt also, then it is life for life, 24 eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, 25 burn for burn, cut for cut, sore for sore.

Or:

1. SixofNine
      SixofNine

"should we necessarily conclude that Exodus 21 speaks to whether a fetus is considered a living person simply because it proscribes the death penalty for a person who causes a woman to miscarry?"

Dude, the very next verse prescribes the death penalty for the life of the mother. So yeah, it definitely "speaks to whether a fetus is considered a living person".

2. yknot
      yknot

I keep seeing the instances of rape being brought up. In most states it is standard procedure to offer the 'morning after pill' to all rape victims.

3. worldtraveller
      worldtraveller

Since most pro-lifers support the death penalty, would a woman who terminates a pregnancy be guilty of murder and subject to the death penalty?

Also wondering why lifers condemn birth control. Do they believe that sex is solely for procreation?

4. Redneck
      Redneck

I am from the RIGHT and if Dawgs trying to push a button on the people on the RIGHT and they snap back ya should just get over it..Poke something with a stick long enough it will snap back... Being from the RIGHT doesn't automatically make me have a line I have to tow. I believe that abortion is a woman's right to choose,it is her body. I think it is wrong to use it as birth control but that is my personnel opinion .I have seen very few women that are not negatively affected by having an abortion .When does life start ? My opinion is at conception but even science cant agree on it . I do believe in the death penalty . I do not believe its used enough. And always remember opinions are like assholes we all got one.

5. Zico
      Zico

So what do "you on the right" think the punishment should be for a woman who aborts?

6. dawg
      dawg

Well, I don't mind Happy Dad's assertion, he's passionate about this subject, as many people are... It didn't bother me because I can understand the passion. Funny that he thinks I don't have a life and need to grow up, and he put forth an argument that sounds like a second grader, but what the hay?

This is actually one of the few conservative arguments that I admire, I've thought about this a lot, but in the end it seems that the conservatives want to bring their religion into the subject.

I believe that's why they won't answer the questions about what kind of crime a early abortion would be.... nor has anyone of them said whether they believe in making laws against abortion in the case of rape or incest. They've answered what they think, but not whether they support laws that would enforce their opinions on others.

I do not mean this as a dig, I guess it is a dig, but what can you expect from a group that allows the bible be a guide for their lives? Its really hard to have a conversation based on logic when one side still believes something like that.

7. dawg
      dawg

Thanks 2112...

IO believe St. Anne was the most honest of all our posters on the right... she says this among other things..

"I believe that God creates and instills a soul into the baby the moment it's conceived"

As I said, I will not jump, I do not agree that someone's religion should be brought into a political discussion as those on the right do with the abortion discussion... but I admire stanne for being honest and will not jump for that reason... she at lest has the guts to be honest and I like that in a person...

But, I do not want someones religious belief to become law... I would prefer religion to be kept out of all law discussions. Good Job though anne, you were honest and I thank you.

Share this

Google+
    Pinterest
    Reddit