Public breastfeeding

by simplesally 174 Replies latest members private

• wasasister
    wasasister

Sorry to bump this topic again, but I just now read Peacefulpete's response.

First of all, Pete, no one was "assaulting" you, just your argument which I still believe is silly. You make wild assertions about "most men" and "the majority of women" without anything at all to back that up. If women find sucking noises to be arousing, could it have to do with a certain part of male anatomy, rather than a woman's breast?

Let me ask you two questions and I'd be eager to hear your answers:

1. How is your argument any different than the Taliban who mandated women to cover their bodies because men could not control their responses to skin?

2. How do you respond when you encounter an underage female wearing low-cut jeans and a short t-shirt?

My point was and is - just because YOU have a sexual reaction to certain sight-stimuli does NOT mean others have to be inconvenienced by it.

Sorry if you felt attacked, but you did take a reather outrageous position and you should expect some heat.

Wasa

• simplesally
    simplesally

Breastfeeding causes oxytocin to be released. This hormone is sometimes called the cuddle hormone....it makes a woman want to touch, cuddle and love her baby. Here is one article on it:

Oxytocin

Perhaps the best-known birth hormone is oxytocin, the hormone of love, which is secreted during sexual activity, male and female orgasm, birth, and breastfeeding. Oxytocin engenders feelings of love and altruism; as Michel Odent says, "Whatever the facet of Love we consider, oxytocin is involved."

1.Oxytocin is made in the hypothalamus, the "master gland" deep in our brains, and stored in the posterior pituitary, from where it is released in pulses. It is a crucial hormone in reproduction and mediates what have been called the 'ejection reflexes'; the fetal ejection reflex at birth (a phrase coined by Odent for the powerful contractions at the end of an undisturbed labor, which birth the baby quickly and easily);

2 and, postpartum, the placental ejection reflex and the milk ejection, or let-down reflex, in breastfeeding. As well as reaching peak levels in each of these situations, oxytocin is secreted in large amounts in pregnancy, when it acts to enhance nutrient absorption, reduce stress, and conserve energy by making us more sleepy.

3 Oxytocin also causes the rhythmic uterine contractions of labor, and levels peak at birth through stimulation of stretch receptors in a woman's lower vagina as the baby descends

4. The high levels continue after birth, culminating with the birth of the placenta, and then gradually subside.

5.The baby also produces oxytocin during labor, perhaps even initiating labor;

6 so, in the minutes after birth, both mother and baby are bathed in an ecstatic cocktail of hormones. At this time ongoing oxytocin production is enhanced by skin-to-skin and eye-to-eye contact and by the baby's first suckling. Good levels of oxytocin also protect against postpartum hemorrhage by ensuring good uterine contractions.

7 In breastfeeding, oxytocin mediates the let-down reflex and is released in pulses as the baby suckles. During the months and years of lactation, oxytocin continues to keep the mother relaxed and well nourished. One researcher calls it "a very efficient antistress situation which prevents a lot of disease later on." In her study, mothers who breastfed for more than seven weeks were calmer than mothers who did not.

8 Outside its role in reproduction, oxytocin is secreted in other situations of love and altruism, for example, sharing a meal

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

OK I'm a "myopic" "immature" "perverted" "ignorant" "idiot" "has a problem" and deserves getting the "one finger salute" for being the voice that dissents. I have never suggested that all men or most women do anything only that many and some feel discomfort at the sight of a naked breast in public. This should be sufficient for modest ladies to consider whether they need to do something that is there right by lobbyists but questioned by enough people to keep this a controvertial subject. My comparison to sex and urination was,as clearly expressed, merely to demonstrate that the argument that what is "natural" should be public is flawed.

• Sirona
    Sirona

"modest ladies"

Dig the hole a little deeper why don't you Pete.

Sirona

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

Oh for Pete's sake Pete. You're not just wrong, you're outrageously and even comically wrong.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

"modest ladies"

Dig the hole a little deeper why don't you Pete.

Sirona

... Yeah it talks by itself ... and we know where this come from ... No PETE you are not responsible ... but the time is changing and there is nothing wrong in feeding a baby as far as it is "just" feeding a baby ... get use to it and everything is gonna be OK ...
  • wasasister
    wasasister

OK, Pete, settle down. There is no lynch mob...yet.

Since you declined to answer my questions, how about this one?

Does your discomfort at the sight of my partially exposed breast supercede the need of my infant to feed if I happen to be in public when he/she is hungry?

And since you brought up modesty, you have your work cut out for you. As has been previously mentioned, you are likely to see far more of the female anatomy on a hot summer day walking down Main Street.

• franklin J
    franklin J

all of my kids were breast fed; and my wife did it very discretely in public with her and the infant covered in a small baby blanket. It can be done; and is quite a common site to see here in New York.

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

BINGO!

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I don't agree with pete, but he needs an ally in his corner. so I being in the calvary (Landover Baptist Church)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit