Public breastfeeding

by simplesally 174 Replies latest members private

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

I breast fed in public in four countries, and I never got asked to stop, although I did get some glares occasionally in restaurants. I'm usually pretty shy and do not like public disapproval much, but I really have no patience with it in this case. I remember reading about a case recently in America where the woman was called to jury duty, and when they wouldn't let her feed her baby there, she insisted, and was held in contempt and charged, in fact I think she was even thrown in jail. One of the O states, Ohio, Omaha? Or possibly Iowa. I was pretty shocked.

I think it was Hanna who breast fed Samuel till he was five, although my memory of the bible is weak. But my mother had a baby when I was 11 and I remember her talking about it, because she wanted to do the same. She breast fed my youngest sister till my sister was four, in fact, and developed a milk allergy. I remember reading a while back about a woman (in another O state I think) who breast fed her boy till he was 8. She went on Oprah with it to show the world how beautiful and okay it was, and the state charged her with child abuse. Hmmm, things seem to get very wierd there in the bible belt sometimes.

• little witch
    little witch

Thankyou Simplesally for the article and bringing up this subject. I also breastfed my children and did so whenever my babies needed fed. I am not ashamed to say that on many occaisions people were offended. I felt it natural and necessary and never gave in although I recieved many glares and comments.

Funny how a woman feeding her child is like a train wreck. People stare as if it is they cant just look away. (mostly men wanting a peek IMO).

It is my opinion that any business or public gathering place, be it a restaraunt, church, park, etc should have a clean, pleasant accomidation for nursing mothers if they are concerned over the natural need for feeding a child.

I have never known or witnessed a woman ever, who left her breast exposed. Never. Women naturally distinguish the difference of feeding her child, and using the act as sexual. Women have boobs and know how to use 'em. It is the men who can't figure out the difference. (jeoulousy I suspect) lol

• dottie
    dottie

I just have a question for the ladies who were treated badly in public...Were you "covered up"?? Like with a blanket or not??

I'm just curious as I'm going to be a new Mom in a couple weeks and I do plan on breastfeeding. I think it's positively ridiculous that women are treated so poorly when it comes to something so natural.

• little witch
    little witch

speaking for myself, I never was "exposed". I always had a blanket draped over my shoulder and of course wore a breastfeeding bra, and appropriate clothing that buttoned down. I know of no woman who intentionally would expose her breast to strangers to breastfeed.

There is certainly nothing sexual about a leaky breast that a mother would want to show it off. LOL.

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

I tried to cover up, but if your baby doesn't like a blanket over his or her head, there's not a lot you can do about it.Some babies also don't like to feed in public, because it's just not restful enough. A friend of mine with a new baby always has to go home because even if the baby is hungry he won't feed in public. Mine didn't mind feeding in public but she did tend to make quite a job of it because she got distracted by everything. And she was not that old before she figured out she could make mommy jump and squeak by pulling my shirt up, down or sideways and giving everybody a free floor show.

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Breast Feeding is one of the most natural things. What kind of prudish unnatural society are we becoming if a woman is publicly ridiculed for breast feeding her baby? Dont get me wrong, indecency is one thing, if your baby wont let you put a blanket over your shoulder than you should find a more discreet way. But come on!

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Reading this thread it brings back some memories, I haven't been able to breathfeed Tony more than a month ... (it was painfull) and never fed him in public.

But I can't understand : that because a few "perverts" can't stand to see a breathfeeding, that some Laws does condamne the fact to feed a baby (in public or not - by breath or any other mean). So more over it it a religious rule !

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I had not intended to post on this one, as a man and not a father , it did not seem to be for me.. But I must confess a feeling of embarassment when I have seen this done in public.

Reading this though has made me realise that this is My problem, not that of the mothers.. Why ever not? It is natural, it is good for baby, it is harmless to anyone else.. From now on I will not allow myself to feel awkward. Carry on with it!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

urinating and sex are also natural yet as a society we have decided they are private matters. Get real ladies, you must be aware that every teenage (or older) male in eyeshot is naturally turned on by the site of an exposed breast. We have evey right to request that you not flash them for any reason. Arguments that suggest males should just get over it and not be aroused or made uncomfortable are just plain silly. Ladies keep them covered at least, better, breast feed in private where the experience will be more intimate between the two of you. This is far more insightful and kind to everyone.

• Lehaa
    Lehaa
    urinating and sex are also natural yet as a society we have decided they are private matters. Get real ladies, you must be aware that every teenage (or older) male in eyeshot is naturally turned on by the site of an exposed breast. We have evey right to request that you not flash them for any reason. Arguments that suggest males should just get over it and not be aroused or made uncomfortable are just plain silly. Ladies keep them covered at least, better, breast feed in private where the experience will be more intimate between the two of you. This is far more insightful and kind to everyone.

Go grow up. How can you compare breastfeeding to urinating and sex. Women don't breast feed to make you uncomfortable, they do it because that it the easiest was to feed their kids. Next time your out and you see a woman breastfeeding why don't you just look somewhere else. Much easier for you to move that a woman with a newborn baby and a couple of kids. Baby rooms are usually full of parents trying to change and feed babies and toddlers, not always the easiest place to feed a child. A lot of times there is nowhere else to feed. If you want something sexual to perve at go by playboy.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit