Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Status Update Thread

by Simon 656 Replies latest jw friends

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

SIMON:

I was in my local supermarket this morning at 8am when they opened - and was shocked to be greeted by many empty shelves and slim pickings elsewhere.

There was: NO milk, no eggs, no bread, no meat - and No toilet paper or other paper goods. I had heard that other supermarkets will soon have early hours for seniors.. So I called and spoke to customer service asking if I come in early will the shelves be stocked? OR will I face empty shelves like in the other store? She answered: “it’s possible the shelves could be empty because they have no control over truck shipments.” (Luckily, I stocked up the last two weeks and just needed a few things - like milk.)

This is very disappointing and I cannot imagine the anxiety some seniors will face if they get up early only to face what I faced. This is not good.

• cofty
    cofty

Highly recommend Sam Harris' podcast 'Making Sense' with Amesh Adalja released on 11 March.

Lots of good information. Take away thoughts include, death rate will be 0.6% at most (based on data from South Korea that had a massive testing program). Many people will have no more than a bad cold or flu and make full recovery with no long term lung damage.

A small percentage of younger healthy people will develop secondary lung infections and require hospital care.

Some hope of effective antivirus within months but vaccine probably a year away.

Reasonable social distancing makes sense to flatten the curve and relieve pressure on health provisions.

Very interesting conversation with an expert who has a common sense approach.

On the down side he genuinely fears an actual viral apocalypse such as an airborne bird flu with a mortality rate nearer 60% which is a real future possibility.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

The low South Korean death rate is down to their rigorous policy of testing, tracing, isolating, social distancing, and high quality of health care for severely ill patients. Cases peaked in South Korea two weeks ago as a result of their excellent approach and, despite being one of the first countries outside China affected by coronavirus, so far they have only have 81 deaths.

European countries unfortunately have not followed their example—the UK worst of all—and are on a very different trajectory than South Korea. I wish the death rate would be as low as 0.6% in Europe as South Korea achieved. I fear that will not be the case. Many European countries already exceed South Korea’s total number of deaths and are on an exponentially increasing trend. The health services are already overburdened and already people are dying who would not have died if the health service was not stressed to breaking point by the reckless complacency and poor and delayed response of European governments, in particular the UK government.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

and the worst is all the bars are closed so no one has a place to cry in their beer. I always feel a little humor keeps all from going nuts.

Still Totally ADD ...

For what it's worth, I have followed the government's recommendations on having at least a two week supply of basic goods.

My wine rack is full, I have several liters of scotch and vodka, four cases of beer and plenty of chips and salsa. I have several racks of ribs in the freezer along with several pounds of shrimp along with a dozen boxes of Rice-a-Roni and plenty of toilet paper.

I'm in this for the long haul. Cheers.

Rub a Dub

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

They say 60% alcohol kills the virus. On that basis I know some folks whose body will be totally immune to the disease.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

They say 60% alcohol kills the virus. On that basis I know some folks whose body will be totally immune to the disease.

slimboyfat ...

I guess you could count me in there. Let them sneeze or cough on me, I generally feel protected.

Rub a Dub

• compound complex
    compound complex

I was in my local supermarket this morning at 8am when they opened - and was shocked to be greeted by many empty shelves and slim pickings elsewhere. There was: NO milk, no eggs, no bread, no meat - and No toilet paper or other paper goods. [bold added] -- LHG

Identical to my store, from which I just returned. Interestingly, at 9:30 a.m., we were all senior citizens shopping about, amazed, bewildered, and bothered (well, at least me). I did find a loaf of sprouted grain bread in the frozen section. Two cans of sardines . . .

• Doctor Who
    Doctor Who

I just went to my local grocery store and bought toilet tissue (not my usual brand though) eggs, milk, and bread. The meat department was fairly bare, but was able to get pork chops (which I did want) but no ground beef. I checked the paper towels since they are next to the toilet tissue and they were low. I don't use bottled water so I didn't check on that. Interesting note....they had employees wiping down all shopping buggies with a bleach solution after you were finished with it. Funny thing, at 1 pm local time it was empty of people. I saw maybe 8 others shopping. But I am now good for at least a couple of weeks. I wish people would just use good sense and judgement and stop freaking out.

• cofty
    cofty

SBF - Cases are massively under reported everywhere apart from S Korea where there will still be some under reporting. Death rate in S Korea will not be less than in other western countries. Death rate will not exceed 0.6% of the 30-50% who will be infected. Stop fear-mongering.

• Simon
    Simon

Interesting infographic about the deadliest pandemics:

https://www.visualcapitalist.com/history-of-pandemics-deadliest/

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit