Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Status Update Thread

by Simon 656 Replies latest jw friends

• LV101
    LV101

Fingers crossed re/clinical trial of new vaccine starting tomorrow in Seattle. This must be the new vaccine from Israel - heard a chemist say a few wks. ago it would be ready in 3 wks. It could be another one but great news.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

As COVID-19 spreads throughout the world, the disease is dominating everything – even Church affairs.

And, yet, it's said that laughter is the best medicine. And we'll certainly all go crazy if we don't try to keep at least some sense of humor in the midst of all this.

So allow me to pass on some advice (that someone sent me) from a few illustrious saints and even a couple of notorious sinners.

-- "Stay calm and don't lose your head." – St. John the Baptist

-- "This is not the Apocalypse." – St. John the Evangelist

-- "Wash your hands often." – Pontius Pilate

-- "Avoid greeting people with a hug and kiss." – Judas

-- "Don't touch your eyes, nose, mouth or any open wounds." – St. Thomas the Apostle

-- "Pets and other animals cannot spread this disease." – St. Francis of Assisi

-- And, finally, "Avoid going to China." – Matteo Ricci

Oh, and don't forget: if someone from China tries to forcefully shake your hand, call Pope Francis!

I received this e-mail from my catholic sister

At least she has a sense of humour

• Simon
    Simon

Scott Adams podcast is good to listen to for updates and to calm down some of the panic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OTNnd7pFJc

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Surely what needed to be said could have been said in less than an hour!

• compound complex
    compound complex
    • The San Francisco Bay Area will be directed to "shelter in place" at 12:01 a.m. on Tuesday until April 7 in an attempt to contain the coronavirus outbreak.
    • The order will require residents to remain indoors except for essential travel, like going to get groceries.
    • The shelter-in-place order is different from a full lockdown, which would prohibit people from leaving their homes without government permission.

https://www.businessinsider.com/san-francisco-lockdown-coronavirus-disease-bay-area-2020-3?fbclid=IwAR082U5RuSaHDkJjFaF56Cenq5gdGlqHeZl7Og__zfLCnIMSmzK8pvLHUMA#steps-have-also-been-taken-to-protect-san-franciscos-most-vulnerable-residents-that-comprise-its-homeless-population-8

• Simon
    Simon

WHO reporting that Iran may have 5 times the number of cases they have been reporting.

This is why Trudeau allowing flights from there is recklessly irresponsible.

https://news.trust.org/item/20200316201122-i8bmb/

• Simon
    Simon

Whitehouse now saying to limit groups to no more than 10.

This is major lockdown time folks, looks like they finally woke up to the fact that the healthcare systems will go under really quickly and are not going to cope unless we enact dramatic measures to curb the spread immediately.

We need to stop the spread and that means strict measures.

• newsheep
    newsheep

Over here we still have the US border open and would wish they close it as well. Our Cosco and Walmarts are sold out of canned goods, toilet paper, sanitizer, chicken, eggs, medicine ect . Big stores are finding that it's ones coming over from the States. Today I had found another pharmacy that had my meds and there were a lot of States license plates in the parking lot. They were right. One can only dream of a lock down everywhere. Today Kingston finally said they will be closing all tourism spots except for the fast food restaurants. The St Patty's Day party wasn't as big what the police thought it would be with the Queen's University but there were still the drunken idiots talking out their asses on TV,

• rebel8
    rebel8

I live in AZ now and we have 12 cases. There is a very, very high % of retirees here, so they're high risk and I want to stay away from all that. Schools are mandated to close and are doing distance learning. Sports events are all cancelled. Most office jobs are now telecommuting.

The hospitals here are triaging in the parking lots and not allowing people to get tested unless they meet the criteria.

Most of us have had a mild cold thing with the same symptoms but no complications, so we're not sure if we've had/have coronavirus or something else.

I stocked up a few weeks ago because I knew it was prudent. Most people started stocking up last week and aren't able to get what they need now. I was trying to order groceries for curbside pickup and the website is totally crashed.

I haven't seen anyone hoarding, just stocking up as CDC recommended.

• Simon
    Simon

Why the lockdowns are so important:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit