Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Status Update Thread

by Simon 656 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

it could be in the homeless population of California for instance, and good luck containing it then.

Simon ...

Excellent point. If this thing gets into the streets, we will have to shut the cities down.

Rub a Dub

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The washing the streets in full ebola gear tells me this isnt the flu.

So far we have extra vitsmins, pet food canned stuff and a gallon of bleach.

We got the letter yesterday, word for word same as the German translation. Only thing I noted is a mention of giving out the secret phone patch number

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/02/iranians-lick-shrines-say-not-scared-coronavirus-12331081/

Doesn't seem to be curbing the shrine licking practices of Allahs faithful.

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Even the wtb&ts has sent a caution letter to the congregations here in the usa about covid-19. First time I've heard the borg get officially involved in a medical alert! The letter even said to stay home and listen in to the meetings if one feels ill. WOW

just saying!

• Simon
    Simon

There are conflicting reports about whether facemasks offer any protection. I think the clearest indication that they do is that the US surgeon generally is telling people that they don't help protect the public.

Uh? Don't I have that back to front?

Well no - if you look at the full quote:

The surgeon general on Saturday urged the public to stop buying masks, warning that it won’t help against the spread of the coronavirus but will take away important resources from health care professionals.
    “Seriously people — STOP BUYING MASKS!” the surgeon general, Jerome M. Adams, said in a tweet on Saturday morning. “They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if health care providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!”
    The plea comes as panicked consumers rush to buy masks online, including so-called N95s, a surge that has led to price gouging and counterfeit products.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/29/health/coronavirus-n95-face-masks.html

Ah ... so they do protect, but "we" are not to have them because it means there are then fewer for them.

No thanks, I'll be keeping the masks I already bought - your professions should have had stocks for emergencies such as these, the foresight to get more early on and the US shouldn't have outsourced manufacturing of basic, but important, medical equipment and medicines to China.

• Pete Zahut
  • MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Price gouging :

Unfortunately, the gut reaction here will most likely be to stop “price gouging” - which will make the situation worse ... *sigh*

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard

Just an FYI:

I was curious and went into the local Walmart and Sams club yesterday. All the shelves (where I live at least) are stocked full. Plenty of canned goods. Sams club has large bags of rice, entire pallets full, for about $12.99 each. Lots of bulk canned chicken. No panic here. I do live in a state with confirmed cases.

BUT - I did notice that at the local Walmart, Clorox and Lysol wipes were being pushed to the front displays and people were generally getting a pack or two. No panic buying though.

I grabbed a few bulk canned goods (veggies and meat) and some rice. These are things I will naturally eat anyway... so either way I’m OK.

• Simon
    Simon

Four more deaths in Washington State, for a total of 6

This means there are likely already many people infected and spreading it.

Also a new case in NY, someone fresh off a plane from Iran where there is a major outbreak (you can't make this shit up can you?!?)

They have decided that she "is not believed to have been contagious either on the plane or in the car returning home" but I don't see any basis for that claim other than wishful thinking and wanting to down-play the fact that they are allowing people on flights from severely infected places. There are also multiple cases in Ontario, again, imported straight from Iran.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51715245

In other news, the presidential candidates are now all the worst demographic for outcome - so it will be interesting to see if they continue criss-crossing the country and shaking hands, 'cause it's hard to think of a worse thing to be doing in a pandemic situation really. Maybe all the others who suddenly dropped out the day before Super Tuesday had 2nd thoughts (probably more todo with political shenanigans).

• Jehalapeno

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit