Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Status Update Thread

by Simon 656 Replies latest jw friends

• Simon
    Simon

This topic is to focus on status updates & advice (no opinion or politics please).

Status

Latest status is that it's serious, probably isn't going to be contained and most large companies are making contingency plans, cancelling large events etc... which I don't think would happen if it was just people being alarmist. The incubation period means it may have already spread further and infected many more people than are currently known, so expect jumps in the numbers over the coming days and weeks.

Tracking

First, the best tracking sites appear to be:

https://hgis.uw.edu/virus/

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Protection

Even here in Calgary, where there are zero known cases, everywhere is sold-out of hand-sanitizer although places do have rubbing alcohol spray which is just as good (if not better). People are probably just looking for the "hand sanitizer" label so if you haven't got any already, that's maybe something to look for. Don't just look in the "obvious" places as I think they tend to sell out first - people go to Shoppers for drugs and medicine for instance, and maybe don't think of the Dollar Store, or Staples. Looking in the non-obvious stores sometimes works but it can just be a case of being lucky and there when they have stocked shelves.

At some point though, there will be too much demand for things and they won't be able to stock shelves any more.

Face masks are also sold out everywhere and I think those are going to be more difficult to get hold of. It's worth trying though as you never know. Look for N95 or N99 rated ones. Check if you have a pack of masks in your tools from a painting project, they may do if things get bad.

Supplies

Now may be the time to stock up on provisions before any truly mass-panic strikes. Canned foods, beans, chilli, tuna, spam, whatever you can eat in an emergency and will last a while. Also worth getting water (just in case services stop) and things like rice - easy to make some solid meals from. Get some chocolate as well, just because it's nice having a treat!

If you need medication of any kind, make sure you have it. Things like plasters, bandages, pain-killers too - you want to be self-sufficient, not having to go out if you don't have to (and reconsider dangerous activities - now really isn't the time to risk being in a hospital is it?!)

Future

There are still a lot of unknowns. Some reports are that it may be on a par with a bad seasonal flu. But other reports show people collapsing and dying, so I don't think it can just be dismissed.

Say safe people!

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Great tracking by Johns Hopkins (fully interactive with updates and map)

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Sample screenshot below

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

This topic is to focus on status updates & advice (no opinion or politics please)

Good luck with that one Simon.

• Bobcat
    Bobcat

One hopeful possibility here amidst all the bad news. Although, it just may be 'a day late and a dollar short.'

I appreciate all the preparation ideas above.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Thanks for the useful link, Simon.

It does seem that outside of China the rate of fatalities is pretty low, but that does not stop people worrying . In the Uk the media is full of it ...

Stay safe people

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

Ever seen the movie "Contagion"? It's actually very good. Stars Matt Damon. Guess where it all began in that movie? Yep, China!

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

Survival Food Recipe: Awesome & Authentic slow-cooker Frijoles Borrachos (Mexican-style Pinto Beans):

• 1lb bag of dry pinto beans
    • 1 medium onion, diced (if still on shelf during panic)
    • 1 16oz can of diced tomatoes
    • 3 Tbs of Chili Powder
    • 1 Tbs of Comino (Ground Cumin)
    • 6 chicken boullion cubes
    • 6 cups of Water
    • 1 can of beer (optional if SHTF)
    • 1 Jalapeno (pickled if fresh aren't available)
    • Salt & Pepper to taste

Place all the ingredients into a crock pot/slow cooker. Set on High for 6-8 hours. Occasionally check on the beans to make sure you don't need to add more water. Enjoy!

Leftovers can be mashed in a cast-iron skillet over medium heat along with some fat (butter, lard, oil) for authentic refried beans.

This recipe can also be done on the stove or over a fire. Just make sure to soak the beans overnight first if doing this method. Cook time will also not be as long as the slow cooker.

Note: Onions are also a good thing to stock up on. They may not last as long as canned food, but they will last quite a while on the shelf in a cool, dry place. I've had onions last for 6 weeks or more in our pantry...

• no-zombie
    no-zombie

Thanks for the serious thread.

While things in Australia are still calm and some are buying more to stock up, it has become very hard (all most impossible actually) to get N95 masks without paying extorted prices online. It would be prudent though for all of us (no matter where we live) to buy more long life foods just in case our local area is closed down for a while in quarantine. But sadly I believe that global containment has failed and ultimately it will spread globally. However if we can make provisions and socially distance ourselves, there is a chance we can remain unaffected until a vaccine is released.

Best of health to all.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

This HAS to be affecting businesses here in the US.

My wife and I may get Chinese take-out twice a month. No longer! She won't touch it.

Multiply that ($25 x 2) per month with who knows how many others adopt the same attitude. She is even concerned about going to Walmart since so much of their stuff comes from China.

I know she is over-reacting, but I am sure she is not the only one who is changing buying habits.

Rub a Dub

• Simon
    Simon

Fatality rates are still up in the air and differ wildly between different sources.

On the one hand, some people point out that there are likely many times more people who have it than have been counted, because the have very mild or no symptoms at all. Including these would lower the death rate to closer to regular seasonal flu levels.

So nothing to worry about, we're all over-reacting ... right? Let's hope we all look back and laugh like we did Y2K.

But there is the fact that may people who have it haven't yet recovered and may still die from it plus the response in many countries suggests it's more serious: trying to disinfect the streets with large spraying machines and carting people off who are sick as they shake violently, very often trying to cover it from cameras and people dropping suddenly in the streets (China + Iran).

Like I said on another thread, we'll get a better idea on truly how serious it is or isn't, as more data points come in from responsible countries that we can trust.

Remember too that there is a delay of 2-3 weeks before infections may be known about so It's likely already in places that we haven't seen reports from yet - it could be in the homeless population of California for instance, and good luck containing it then.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit