Covid-19 (Coronavirus) - Status Update Thread

by Simon 656 Replies latest jw friends

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno
    Surely what needed to be said could have been said in less than an hour!

It’s a podcast, not a soundbite. Does no one else listen to podcasts?

• caves
    caves

Stores were getting rather empty today. I don't think I saw anyone smiling. Meat is just about wiped out in this town and neighboring towns. No Tp left. But a decent amount of napkins and paper towels still.

The big bread store in town that usually gives away bread they have so much, just sold the last of their bread. Potatoes are gone. Pasta is near gone.

This is not pretty. Everyone, I literally mean everyone I spoke with today said that they are ready to fight, with guns and whatever means necessary. The general vibe is switching to "we are not going to sit back and take it".

This is starting to make the recession of 2008 look like a child's play.

Near 1/3 of Americans lost their job over night? How can this possibly turn out well. The air is thick with panic.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Declaring “we are at war,” President Emmanuel Macron of France prohibited public gatherings of any size, postponed municipal elections and told people to stay in their homes except for essential needs.

His order, which goes into effect on Tuesday, is one of the most stringent anywhere in Europe. Officials said that going out for a walk to get some fresh our [recte: air] would be allowed, but meeting a friend on a street or in a park would be punishable with a fine.

Christophe Castaner, the interior minister, said anyone on a public outing would need to carry a document justifying it, even if only a sworn statement written by that person. He said that 100,000 law enforcement officers would be deployed to enforce the order.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/16/world/live-coronavirus-news-updates.html

• LV101
    LV101

Good for the President of France - not smart to isolate then go out in crowd of even 10 people - maybe elections are the exception.

If more products were available on line it would help. I know they're working it re/keeping shelves stocked but empty stores cause so much panic - they need to start limiting the quantities each consumer buys.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Yes the U K is also moving towards lockdown with the over 70's told to stay indoors for months, large events cancelled and people advised against going to pubs , eating out etc.

I don't know what it is like on the street, I am confined indoors as an "at risk person" ( so they say)

Wifey has gone to try and beat the crowds at the supermarket, so as to keep a "social distnce" from people...

I see from the excellent link that Simon put up (top of this thread) that Britain is in the top 10 for reported cases, but how many are unknown since they dont test everyone?

Oh well, hunker down and keep smiling .... hope all my JW Discussion friends are ok...

• compound complex
    compound complex

I don't know what it is like on the street, I am confined indoors as an "at risk person" ( so they say)

Wifey has gone to try and beat the crowds at the supermarket, so as to keep a "social distnce" from people... Oh well, hunker down and keep smiling .... hope all my JW Discussion friends are ok. -- BluesBrother

If more products were available on line it would help. I know they're working it re/keeping shelves stocked but empty stores cause so much panic - they need to start limiting the quantities each --consumer buys. -- LV101

I went into our small but ordinarily well-supplied supermarket, started down aisles of empty shelves, loaded up what I could into my own bags. Initially oblivious to my surroundings, I headed towards checkout, saw the wrap-around queues (using a British term for you, BB; we call 'em lines here), returned items to shelves and made a hasty exit. 'Twas impossible to social distance. Likewise, I'm at risk health-wise (slightly older than you and at home much of the day) and have had to cancel all my classes. I miss my beloved students. The loss of income, I guess, is impertinent compared to protecting the interests of health.

Yes, limiting quantities purchased. I've never seen bare shelves before in the above store. People are nuts.

Life is short, the rules have changed -- including my own -- and I need my friends, even those here, online. I've been gone too long, away from JWD.

Love you all.

CoCo

• compound complex
    compound complex

By the way, our first case of COVID-19 was reported yesterday. Many more are in the offing, to be sure, but undetected so far.

What a world, what a world . . .

• waton
    waton
    limiting quantities purchased.

cc: how about making the second item per person double the price, triple---

• compound complex
    compound complex

cc: how about making the second item per person double the price, triple--- waton

Yes, that might work for the average shopper with a limited budget; however, when I see the cashier ring up a tab of several hundred dollars on a basket (trolley) piled high with junk food, prepared packaged items, soft drinks, and liquor, I do wonder.

Myself, I quail when my total gets close to $50.00.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

That’s a beautiful and portentous picture CoCo

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit