Shocking talk from 2013 District Convention urges parents to shun disfellowshipped children

by cedars 153 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Resistance is Futile
    Resistance is Futile

It's a cult.

Thanks for making the video Cedars. A light needs to shine on the inner workings of the Watchtower organization. JWs need to own the practices they try to deny to outsiders. Whether intended or not, I could clearly feel that the main effect of this talk was hardening the hearts of those in the audience.

The higher ups in the religion are afraid that they're losing control over their captives. The disfellowshipping doctrine is a weapon wielded by the society in order to enforce total control over Jehovah's Witnesses. You must OBEY the imperfect men on the Governing Body or else lose your family. That's the bottom line. Truth is what they decide it is.

Strangely, I don't feel a lot of bitterness towards the speaker. He is a messenger, a puppet on a stage. If he decided that he couldn't give this talk because of his Bible-trained conscience, the show would go on. Someone else would deliver the Governing Body's message.

• Dagney
    Dagney

The problem is when you are in, you "think" you are doing the right thing, you are helping to save the disciplined one.

When you are out, it's seem so simple to see how mean and cruel it all is. This guy sounds so creepy and manipulative. The majority of the listeners I'm sure will think it's a "good talk."

• biometrics
    biometrics

They're still playing the same game. I can't tell you how much pain shunning caused our family when growing up.

Shunning is based on a fawed interpretation of 1 Corinthians 5:11-13.

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

It's an insult to Kool Aide!

At least Kool Aide Stands for something!

• NVR2L8
    NVR2L8

Marked

• Narcissistic Supply
    Narcissistic Supply

Maybe the Gov Bo's want to close down some kingdom holes and launder more real estate. 800 million isn't enough!

• baltar447
    baltar447

Yeah, this video turned my stomach. Shame on the WT! F*cking cult!

• ProfCNJ
    ProfCNJ

I cannot understand what Matthew 10:34-38 has to do with shunning. I think it was taken way out of context.

First, that message from our Lord Jesus Christ's was delivered without reference to any disfellowshipping situation. There was no DF arrangements, let alone WT policies, during his time. So why apply the scripture to justify heartless, unmerciful treatment to DFd members of the family?

Second, in going against their family members, there was no specific instruction from Christ that a person SHOULD or MUST not talk to erring family members or those you feel do not have the same beliefs as yours. I can disagree or go against an opinion, belief, philosophy, or behavior of one family member but this does not mean I would no longer speak to him/her.

Matthew 5:43-47 will explain more clearly that our Lord Jesus Christ has a viewpoint different from the WT.

43 “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor’ and ‘hate your enemy.’ 44 But I say to you, love your enemy and pray for those who persecute you, 45 so that you may be like your Father in heaven, since he causes the sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46 For if you love those who love you, what reward do you have? Even the tax collectors do the same, don’t they? 47 And if you only greet your brothers, what more do you do? Even the Gentiles do the same, don’t they?

What if something bad happens to an erring or DF'd member of the family? Will he be following Christ's example if he will just brush everything aside, pretend that there is nothing wrong, and extend no help? I cannot simply digest the logic.

• rebel8
    rebel8

In contract with this shocking talk - according to their website (jw.org) JWs do NOT Shun:

http://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/shunning/

Right now that article says they do not shun inactives, and they do shun disfellowshipped people. That is consistent with what I've heard them say to outsiders--they do shun unrepentant people who get formally kicked out. They don't like to call it shunning, but they openly admit that's what it is.

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

He claims the shunning is the result of the decision by the disfellowshipped person. And then just after that, he says to respect the decision of the judicial committee. Morons.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit