The Outing of Faders, and the Epilogue of Sic Semper Tyrannis

by zed is dead 298 Replies latest members private

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“do you not understand for on second how that makes you come across as arrogant? even when totally clueless in a matter you still have to advise us??? we are done with uneducated men guiding us as our leaders. When i know NOTHING on a subject (as you clearly had no clue about fb) i use the tools available to me - google for one, and even asking and LISTENING, but i take a step back and learn i dont advise people - it really puts people off.”

3dogs1husband,

I think you misread me.

My statement “advise accordingly” was not said of JWN members. It was said of my response to leaders at BBXB. The advice I offered was to BBXB decision-makers, and they needed it.

I did not need to understand Facebook to realize there was potential for harm. My aim was to reduce potential for harm as quickly as possible. Because there was some resistance to changing the Facebook thing by BBXB leadership, I took the liberty to advise that they rethink that resistance and stop the thing.

Marvin Shilmer

• Justnowout
    Justnowout

Just curious how we are doing with cedars outing himself...? Evidently he dosent think its all that big a deal, im sure the former head of the AAWA wouldnt have a problem with that! After all he was the legal head of an organization dedicated to reforming the organization, and when faders were outed by his organization he took the time investigate. Eventually. Once he got proof. And emails. Emails that he evidently never read and cant now find..... But it wasnt that big a deal... After all SST could have just joined the AAWA and been the public face of the evil shunning policy! Which brings us back to cedars and his real idenity.....

• UnConfused
    UnConfused

JustNowOUt - I see your point and even the fairness of it. I personally wouldn't do it, but it would be nice for those guilty of hurting the faders to suffer in some equal way.

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“Marvin...this reminds me of how people like to spread the blame when their President does something wrong...but give him all the accolades when HE does something right. Are you saying that in effect Cedars was just a figure head or there were too many leaders at the helm? Or a smiling fictional person in the position of president that held NO authority on important decisions? One has to wonder what the point of a leader is if there is a pressing matter that needs an immediate decision that cannot be agreed upon, to the detriment of the people who NEED that decision made.”

still thinking,

I completely understand that skepticism.

It sounds counterintuitive to think the president of an association is not “in control”. Regardless, in nearly all professional and trade associations (associations that press agendas, which is what BBXB is) the real power is held collectively. Most often this power is held by the association’s board of directors. Sometimes it’s held by an executive committee made up of select members of the association’s board of directors.

All this was made more complex because BBXB was just getting off the ground, and worse, things were rushed. Regardless, under BBXB’s operating structure, Cedars had equal authority with others. There were, as you say, “many leaders at the helm”. One of the problems caused by this sort of structure is reduced ability to react. Most associations require at least 7 days notice for a board meeting. Typically this can only be avoided by a unanimous vote by the board. This means a single person could put off a decision for at least a week. When the board does finally meet, depending on bylaws it will take either a simple majority or a super majority vote to take an action. It’s often the case that this inhibits a decision from being made as soon as it should be made.

“You also seeming to be adding in a lot of what you think Cedars felt. Are you a mind reader? Is this how you look at EVIDENCE? If that is the case, what about how SST felt? Are you taking his feelings into account since you seem to think how you feel about their feeling are good enough evidence for you to support Cedars position.”

I don’t know where I’ve premised anything on Cedars’ feelings. I had a couple of firsthand discussions with Cedars, but that was mostly after the fact of the Facebook thing, and maybe each was afterward. I don’t recall off hand. If I’ve premised anything on Cedars’ feelings it's based on what he said to me; not any attempt to read his mind.

I don’t know why people think of me as supporting Cedars’ “position”. Cedars is to me as everyone else here is. He’s a fellow poster at JWN. I have far more communication with others here than with him. I’ve spoken with him twice and we’ve exchanged probably 5-10 emails since he joined here in 2011. I’m not sure what people think Cedars’ position is. I accept that he much regrets harm caused by actions taken by BBXB during his time there. He cannot undo what happened. He’s willing to respond directly to direct questions. That means a lot to me. Many here don’t bother to do this. I’m not sure what others want him to do that he’s not already done. When he’s spoken of his role, authority and responsibility as BBXB’s president he’s been honest about it insofar as I can tell. My take is that readers don’t believe him that he was not in a position to demand something, or else. My take is also that readers don’t believe that he stayed on at BBXB as he did based on a sense that he could fix things better and faster by staying on rather than resigning. My take is also that if he had it all to do over again he probably wouldn’t. What position is it I’m supporting?

Marvin Shilmer

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“…feel I need to reevaluate your trustworthiness.”

UnConfused,

It’s better not to take things I say on trust. Each of us should always look for veracity in things people say, no matter who’s doing the talking. Assertions are only as good as supporting evidence.

One of the weakest forms of argument is that based on authority. That’s why I attempt to avoid it, even when it’s my own experience. Who is asserting something is not very important, if at all. The reasons why someone is asserting something is what we should look for. That is what’s important in assessing veracity of an assertion.

Marvin Shilmer

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Not on my tablet anymore.

Here's that shovel, Marvin. Although you seem to be digging your own hole just fine without it.

"I did everything right. I am wonderful. I saw the very danger you all speak of. I suggested the right course.
    Look at me. Look at me, Mr. Wonderful-Save-The-Day."

Honestly folks, no need to bother with this one anymore.

• still thinking
    still thinking

Marvin..... "I don’t know where I’ve premised anything on Cedars’ feelings."

Marvin....." I think he felt he could fix things more efficiently from the inside and that’s why he stayed on as president at the time as he did."

Marvin....."I had a couple of firsthand discussions with Cedars"

This thread is about some first hand discussions with SST.

• zed is dead
    zed is dead

Marvin warning:

zed

• Marvin Shilmer
    Marvin Shilmer

-

“This thread is about some first hand discussions with SST.”

still thinking,

My comment you cite was doing no more than answering your question of me. Any comments I made of Cedars’ feelings is not a result of mind reading. It is a result of things Cedars told me of his sentiments. When I’ve shared those sentiments it was conveyance and not as premises within an argument.

Marvin Shilmer

• Simon
    Simon

Marvin: the delays you describe due to voting and authority work both ways - how was the fb group 'done' without it and rushed through without the meetings and agreement if everyone?

If someone rushed off and did something without approval then a big meeting isn't required to undo it.

Your claim only makes sense if it was someone at the top behind it - that's why nothing was done to end it sooner, no one else had the required authority.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit