1 John 4:2

by N.drew 178 Replies latest watchtower bible

• N.drew
    N.drew

The Lord may certainly add to them. What "do not add to them" means is do not ascribe to them your own interpretation. Do not twist them into something they do not mean. The Lord adds understanding to the words. Do not trust in your own understanding. Seek righteousness.

"see that you do ALL I command you" What is the command? LISTEN.

My concordance has a page worth for the word "listen".

• N.drew
    N.drew

Bob, what do you think this means? John 16:12

"I have many more things to say to you, but you cannot bear them now.

• bob1999
    bob1999

That scripture explains itself. Read the next verse.

Were the writers of the new testament inspired by the Spirit? Were their words inspired by the Spirit?

Are any of our words inspired by the Spirit in the same way as the writers of the new (and old) testament were?

What do you think it means?

Peace

• AGuest
    AGuest
    You have got to be kidding.

As dear N.Drew (the greatest of love and peace to you, dear one!) stated, I am not kidding, dear bob (peace to you, as well!). I am "dead" serious.

Was Joseph Smith? How about the WTB&TS? Maybe Harold Camping?

I don't believe Mr. Smith as kidding, per se. I do believe that he wasn't speaking to who he thought he was. As for the WTBTS and Mr. Camping, both have shown themselves to be false prophets. Hearing my Lord's voice... and stating that truthfully... isn't prophesying... falsely or otherwise.

I think I'll stick to the Inspired Word Of God thank you.

If you're referring to the Bible, I would have to say... apparently, not. If you WERE, you would know that IT says:

1. One of the gifts of holy spirit is hearing/discerning/distinguishing spirits (1 Corinthians 12:10);

2. That those who belong to Christ hear his voice, indeed, listen only TO his voice (John 10:1-6, 27; Matthew 17:5);

3. And that that voice isn't passive (Hebrews 1:1, 2; 12:18-25)

I mean, now, if YOU don't have sufficient faith in order to believe this, that's on you. I have such faith... and after giving myself over TO such faith... found these things to be quite true. As a result, I gave myself over to the One who grants such gifts, who speaks, whose voice I hear.

Proverbs 30:6 Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.

Yes, and you really should heed that warning, dear one... because you are adding to God's words. One way is by calling the Bible His Word... when He Himself has given that designation to nothing... and no one... but His Son (John 1:1, 14; 17:17; Hebrews 13:12; Revelation 19:13). You, though, like so many others... now call a mere book, a compilation of writings... on paper... in delible ink... which can rot and decay, be torn, ripped, thrown down, etc., His Word. Where NOWHERE... even in that book... does it call itself such.

Revelation 22:18 - I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book.

Notwithstanding that I mentioned nothing as to Revelation 22:18 (which is the "scroll" that the verse is referring to), you forgot the part about taking anything away FROM... which you are doing... by denying the gifts of the Spirit. Which could be construed as blasphemy... but I'm sure you already know this. Because you read your Bible...

Deuteronomy 12:32 - See that you do all I command you; do not add to it or take away from it.

See above. Again, includes taking away from... as well as adding to. Both of which YOU have done (added the Bible as being the Word of God; taking away Christ as being that Word... and the ONLY Word [of God].

I have been participating in another thread that might help you, shall we say, "see the Light"? It's here:

http://www.jehovahs-witness.net/watchtower/bible/219759/1/Was-the-Bible-written-for-two-opposite-audiences

The Chapter that dear Fernando (peace to you, dear one!) referred to might be of some help with that. Although, as I stated in my last post there... one can... and SHOULD... go directly to the Source himself/herself.

I mean, WHY drink "water" downstream... you know, when it's past through the forest (where animals quench... and "expel")... down the river (where it picks up dirt, rocks, wood, decayed items, and other debris... even garbage, these days)... through various towns and villages (where it picks up "human" waste, in addition to other waste)... and into the city (where it picks up all of that, as well as "industrial waste," "chemicals" and other "pollutants," discarded "drugs", "oil", and "petroleum," as well as other "automative fluids"... such that it must be "treated"... and so ends up being "processed" through a "plant" that ultimately strips it of ALL vital "nutrients"... and replaces these with questionable "chemicals"... to make it "taste" better... and APPEAR "beneficial"... when it may actually be "killing" its "drinkers")... if you HAVE access to the SOURCE?

Things that make you go "hmmmmm"... or should.

Again, peace to you, dear bob!

YOUR servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• bob1999
    bob1999

AGuest, are your words inspired in the same way as the writers of the Bible?

Peace

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Awww, you guys are cute!

• N.drew
    N.drew

I don't understand you. The next verse supports our case. What's up? You playing with my head?

"But when He, the Spirit of truth, comes, He will guide you into all the truth; for He will not speak on His own initiative, but whatever He hears, He will speak; and He will disclose to you what is to come.

John 16:13

• bob1999
    bob1999

To whom was Christ speaking?

Peace

• AGuest
    AGuest
    Were the writers of the new testament inspired by the Spirit? Were their word inspired by the Spirit?

With the exception of John, dear bob (again, peace to you!)... who received the Revelation from... WHOM?... and was told to write by... WHOM?... the answer is no. They were not. If they were:

1. The gospel accounts would all be verbatim... and not based on the writers' memories, recollections, or... as dear Luke PLAINLY states... the testimony of others (which others he interviewed... meaning, he got it from them and not from God)... because the Spirit doesn't change (Luke 1:2);

2. ALL of the writings would be there; however, only four of the "many" gospel accounts that were set down (Luke 1:1) are and Paul's 1st letter to the Corinthians is not (1 Corinthians 5:9; 2 Corinthians 13:1);

3. Luke would have been commissioned... and told to write... by God, through Christ, the Holy Spirit (2 Corinthians 3:17; 1 John 2:1)... rather than "Theophilus" (Luke 1:3, 4; Acts 1:1)

Are any of our words inspired by the Spirit in the same way as the writers of the new (and old) testament were?

They can be, absolutely. To say otherwise is to say that the Spirit is dead and thus inactive. Or sleeping and dormant. Neither is the case, at all. While I am not alluding to any time frame, the very prophecy of Jah-El (Jo·El)... at Joel 2:28, 29 (which Peter referred to at Acts 2:16-18, when he believed the manifestation of the spirit at THAT time was the signal of the "last days" - it was not, of course... because the other features of that prophecy (Acts 2:19-21) did not occur). How do YOU know that that day is not here now? Or that another partial fulfillment is taking place as it did then? You do not...

Bob, what do you think this means? John 16:12

Since dear bob was apparently unable to explain the other verses I asked him about, dear N.Drew (again, peace to you, dear one!), you should not be surprised at his response here. Nothing more than an attempt at deflection. Unfortunately, he doesn't understand that we... and probably everyone else here... are savvy enough to get that.

Again, peace to you, both!

Your servant and a slave of Christ,

SA

• bob1999
    bob1999

BTW, you didn't answer my questions.

Were the writers of the new testament inspired by the Spirit? Were their words inspired by the Spirit?

Peace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit