1 John 4:2

by N.drew 178 Replies latest watchtower bible

• AGuest
    AGuest

Where do you get that the law "is to be read"? I see no need (I didn't say I see no blessing) for "reading".

I don't get that, dear bob (peace to you!), but it appeared that YOU believe that, by means of your response to dear N.Drew (peace, my sister!). When she asked: ""I wonder why they all sound the same? Do you know?", you responded:

Because God has the power to and does protect His Word

This insinuates that the Bible is God's Word. I did not get that your response was tongue-in-cheek, so please forgive me if I misunderstood. It was taking you literally... which perhaps I shouldn't have done... that compelled me to ask you to explain the things I did. If you weren't so insinuating, I sincerely apologize.

Again, peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• N.drew
    N.drew

Good morning!

If the word that has been written (about The Christ and the end) is The Word, then God would not have let it get bastardized as it has been.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento
    Again, I understand the "historical" direction you were coming from. But I would ask you to go to our Lord and ask HIM if that "history" is accurate. I don't believe, after hearing HIM on the matter, that it is.

The historical background is quite accurate, we get that sense from not only John but Paul's letters and in Acts.

That John's letters are far deeper than that and can touch believers in a far deeper way, Yes I agree, but the historical context of what was going on in Ephesias at the time ( and before and after) was soemthing that had to be addressed and I beleive that THIS part of the letter addresses that AND goes beyond.

In other words I do NOT disagree with what you are saying or N. Drew I am just pointing out that it is not a case of "either/or" but that the writer was addressing the superficial issues AND the deeper ones.

Too many times we get caught up in the " I am right", "my interpretation is right" and we forget that even if we ARE right that doesn't mean that a diferent one is wrong either.

I think that all of us have had TOO MUCH of that narrow view that is guide more out of pride than out of love.

• AGuest
    AGuest
    The historical background is quite accurate, we get that sense from not only John but Paul's letters and in Acts.

Since I don't wish to contend, dear PSacto (as always, the greatest of love and peace to you!), I will just leave the following in response to the accuracy of the "historical background":

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2011/12/21/ancient-document-three-wise-men_n_1162489.html?ref=religion&ir=Religion&icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl16%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D122152

Given that the teaching as to "three" wise men/astrologers/Magi came from the Catholic Church (based on the gifts: gold, frankincense, and myrrh), which church has apparently had possession of this document for at least 250 years (now, where do you think THEY got it from?), I cannot put MY faith in every "historical record." As to this one (re the Magi), while I don't take much issue with the interpretation (from an 8th-century manuscript, which itself is "a copy of a text first written down almost half a millennium earlier," or say, somewhere in the 3rd century A.D.), based on what I received on the matter from our Lord*, there is at least one flaw in that:

"The wise men are described a descendants of Seth, the third son of Adam."

If the account of the Flood is accurate (and I believe it is), then their coming from Seth is irrelevant, as ALL men... including these... are descendants of Seth. Because ALL come from Noah, 8th in line after Seth. There is no reason, then, for Seth to be singled out from, say, any of his others siblings, including Cain. These would HAVE to come from Seth.

My point is that a teaching/understanding (i.e., "three wise men") doesn't necessarily support the "historical background"... nor is the "historical background" always accurate. Often... it is what man wants us to believe it is. Again, then, I can only rely on what comes forth from the One who says:

"Listen, for I have trustworthy things to say;
    I open my lips to speak what is right.
    My mouth speaks what is true,
    for my lips detest wickedness.
    All the words of my mouth are just;
    none of them is crooked or perverse.
    To the discerning all of them are right;
    they are upright to those who have found knowledge."
    Proverb 8:6-9

I trust and have faith in HIM, dear one... and so put faith in HIS words to me. Even if man does not agree. Unfortunately, I do not always or necessarily trust "historical records"... because they are often what the commissioner/scribe/copyist want them to be... rather than the truth. Or are fraught with human error. So... as with all other things of this nature, I gotta go with him on this one, I do, dear one.

But, of course, you... and others... are always absolutely free to believe whatever it is they wish. Easier to know what the truth of such matters really IS, though... if you just go to him... and ask HIM. A lot less speculation to put oneself through.

Again, peace to you (always)... and may JAH bless you and yours this holiday season!

YOUR servant (always), sister, and fellow slave of Christ,

SA

*It was, in fact, a VERY large caravan, with MANY coming to do obeisance and give gifts... and they came from the Orient (East), yes, but not as far east as the interpreter believes (they came from the land where Abraham, who was from the East, had sent his sons by Keturah) nor the middle east as many others believe). As I've posted before, though, there are a LOT of similarities in the religion/worship/beliefs of those IN the Far East to that of the Hebrews... because the first Hebrew, Abraham, came from that region. He was an adult, married man when he left... and so absolutely took some practices from that region with him.

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

As always I respect and accept your views my dear sister :)

Quite correct that we should not soley trust the historical accounts.

• sabastious
    sabastious
    If the account of the Flood is accurate (and I believe it is)

If you don't mind me asking when do you date the Great Flood and why?

-Sab

• AGuest
    AGuest

I don't mind, dear Sab (the greatest of love and peace to you, dear one!) and to be honest, I don't know. My Lord has never said specifically such that it correlates with "dates" as we know them... and my understanding of "day", "years"... time itself, actually... is probably different from that of many others. That's because it has to do with the "speed" of time, though, so...

But I promise that if I DO hear, I will certainly share it!

Again, peace to you!

YOUR servant, sister, and fellow slave of Christ,

SA

• bob1999
    bob1999

" I trust and have faith in HIM, dear one... and so put faith in HIS words to me. "

" My Lord has never said specifically..."

" But I promise that if I DO hear, I will certainly share it!"

WOW! I mean, WOW!

You have got to be kidding.

Peace Philippians 4:7

• N.drew
    N.drew
    You have got to be kidding.

The Lord is NOT mute, she's not kidding.

• bob1999
    bob1999

Was Joseph Smith?

How about the WTB&TS?

Maybe Harold Camping?

I think I'll stick to the Inspired Word Of God thank you.

Proverbs 30:6 Do not add to his words, or he will rebuke you and prove you a liar.

Revelation 22:18 I warn everyone who hears the words of the prophecy of this book: If anyone adds anything to them, God will add to him the plagues described in this book.

Deuteronomy 12:32 See that you do all I command you; do not add to it or take away from it.

Peace

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit