What's Your View on Tipping?

by minimus 122 Replies latest jw friends

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

I don't really tip anything, it isn't part of UK culture.

If at a restaurant and the bill is say £48, then I would leave £50 if paying in cash, but virtually everyone pays by credit card here so you always just pay the exact amount.

It's not because we are tight, just different, we probably pay a lot more than you for everything. My hair costs £80 ($132) to have cut/coloured (that a pretty average price, there are far more expensive salons, and I don't even live in an expensive place in the UK, London you could pay 3 times that), why would I tip on top of that, I think it's enough, if they do a good job - great that's what I have paid them for anyway. I wouldn't expect them to do a bad job for that money.

Same for restaurants, it normally costs about £50-60 ($82-100) for 2 people here for a decent place (again, you can pay anything up to 10x that), again, I expect good food and service for that anyway.

• zombie dub
    zombie dub

Oh, and one more thing, saying brits have bad teeth is about as daft as saying all americans are hugely obese and have a very low IQ.

All brits have bad hair is a bizarre thing to say, from what I see on TV it seems on average brits and europeans have much better hair than the average american, you can't judge over 60 million people by one congregation!?

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    Whether she appreciated the tip or not isn't at issue. To me, that's not a generous tip. Thanks for your comments.

You state that I am "not a real big tipper" based on one story. Now I will defend my tipping habits.

I stand by my statement: Otherwise, screw you.You should have noted that this was a one-time incident, the tip was for lousy service, it was to send a message:

The problem was- THIS WAS THE BEST FOOD I HAVE EVER TASTED, YET ONE OF THE WORST WAITRESSES I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED.
  • minimus
    minimus

OTWO, OK, you're a big tipper.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

someone made a comment reguarding employers having to "stepping up to the plate"

if restaurant employers coffers were so "sure to be full" then why is it one of the riskiest businesses out there?

one source I found http://www.startribune.com/yourvoices/70085642.html says close to 25%?

in this bad economy, i would not be surpised to see 50% (not counting pizzeries and fast food joints)

anyway, rest assured if the restaurant owners here in the states had to pay waitresses $12-20/hour, be sure to see your bill double!

• RubaDub
    RubaDub
    saying brits have bad teeth is about as daft as saying all americans are hugely obese and have a very low IQ

Zombie ...

Well, that is true in many parts of the American South and Mid-West ... particularly in the "Red" Republican states.

Rub a Dub

• minimus
    minimus

it's a flouride problem.

• aSphereisnotaCircle
    aSphereisnotaCircle

"" I have a problem with tipping a hairdresser who PER HOUR makes double or triple what I make. Who started this tradition? I HATE it. But I don't want to seem cheap. But if they are giving me a $200 hair cut and color and it takes them 3-5 hours, that's A LOT of dough. And not to mention they are doing cuts and styles in between while I'm sitting under the dryer. NOOOOO!!!! This has to stop! ""

BlueSaphire, Hairdressers are not employees, usually they are independant contractors. So her fee works out to be a generous amount per hour but she must pay her rent, insurance, supplies, advertising, etc out of that amount. She is running a business and has expenses she must pay first. And also, being self employed, means she also has a certain amount of down time when she's at work, but not earning a penny. hairdreesers do not make much money unless they are talented at their work AND good at business. You have to be good at both, or you make no money.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

some people have been infected by the "jw" mentality

• falcon
    falcon

This is for the U.S. tipper...

In what other sitation can you make a hard worker feel so much more appreciated, brighten a person's day?

and only for a few dollars [or less] more.

!5% or 20$ ? If you think about it, it's not that much?

Unless you are eating at a resturant you really cant afford to begin with.

If you had poor service, that is a different story.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit