What's Your View on Tipping?

by minimus 122 Replies latest jw friends

• beksbks
    beksbks

Doe I notice your drama level has been increasing exponentially. Mid terms?

• zombie dub
    zombie dub
    I knew a waitress at a Marriott who regularly got a party of 10 plus who stayed at their table for an entire evening ordering drinks and enjoying live music. They typically stayed for 4 to 5 hours! She would get no more than 15 or 20 dollars for her efforts. She was regularly distressed when they'd saunter in. They were very sweet people but lousy tippers. The other waitress I knew there did the same amount of work and was thrilled with the tables, the tables my party generally stayed at. Eventually, we began to ask for the other waitress just because we felt awful for her.

funny how differently people see things, see if I (and I think nearly everyone in the UK) was in that party of 10 I would reason think of all the money we've given the Marriott with all those drinks we have bought - why would I pay more? Of course then I would expect the Marriott to fairly pay the waitress for her 5 hours work, whether she spent 5 hours serving a party of 10 or 5 hours serving 5 couples, it's all work and the job she is paid to do anyway - why pay her more just for doing her job??

In my line of work, some of the jobs I work on are easy, some are hard - I don't expect to be given a tip for completing one of the harder jobs though - it's all part of my job that I am being paid for anyway!!

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

i know plenty of witlesses who went out specifically to places with free drink re-fills and "re-lobster type shrimp re-filled free". tell me if those waitresses did not work their but off for 3-4 hours?

• minimus
    minimus

The bottom line is I can understand that certain areas don't typically tip because the waitstaff is paid significantly more but if you're getting 2 bucks an hour, you NEED to be tipped.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

i've been in places in europe where the establishment has a "sitting fee", tap water is a chargeable item.

so, money is money, the business has to make money.

if you don't like the charge stay home.

there are places in manhattan that require a tip for the host, and also have a tip jar for the bathroom man (with towels and sprays)

• undercover
    undercover
    ...and also have a tip jar for the bathroom man (with towels and sprays)

The only places I've ever had to tip the bathroom attendant was in strip clubs. Bastards...taking my singles that I need for tipping on the runway...

• minimus
    minimus

UC, you're right except that in clubs, they sometimes do it too.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

the man in the bathroom (most of time) is hired as an outside contractor. they either work for free or pay the proprietor. their only income is those tips.

my point is that if you don't like these policies boycott the places that take advantage of you

• minimus
    minimus

If a guy hands me a towel, why should I pay him?? I do but it irritates me!

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

min, it irritates me too.

I give the $, I don't go to those places a second time

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit