What's Your View on Tipping?

by minimus 122 Replies latest jw friends

• finallysomepride
    finallysomepride

tipping in Australia & New Zealand is not generally the norm, restaurants & cafes being the exception.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

i'm gonna tell you straight because I don't need exultation:

sit down--> bad service 10%, good service 20% (if waiters expect 20% from everyone then what incentive is there for good serv?)

mail man and ups driver: never (they get paid enough)

delivery: $1 (honestly should give more, but on a $10 pizza?)

take-out: never, there is no service rendered

buffets: $1.5 per person on my table (they're only putting napkins and plates)

coffee shops: loose change, or $1 per drink

hotels service: on the last or first day only.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I side with Angh 100%

sammie, I agree with you 80%, just that delivery people (food) probably make only $50 a day from their employers wage..... gotta feel sorry for them?

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I almost never eat out any more, because about 99% of the food has monosodium glutamate and they don't tell you about it. Either way, when I used to eat out, I would think of 15% as the standard amount to tip, in round figures. Of course, that was back in the mid 1980s.

And no, I never "tip" with a waste of paper.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

i was once on a 10 day tour through europe, and I swear the tour guide kept on reminding us everyday on the bus that "it is customary to tip us"

• minimus
    minimus

This has been an interesting thread. I've always considered myself a 'good" tipper. I've been told by waitstaff and bartenders this, however, some of you folks tip for things I wouldn't. I know a woman who tips the guy who puts gas in her tank. That's crazy to me. I'd never tip the UPS driver either. I wouldn't tip a cook or chef either.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Employers need to step up to the plate. This has been a scam for way too long. If you understand that you are tipping on the price of the meal and NOT on the service itself, and you still want to use a percentage of your bill to pay for that service, you should go ahead. If the person next to you decides that no matter how much the bill is, they choose to leave a set amount for service tipping of $2.00, then why crucify him and call him cheap? Sounds to me like the guy who actually thinks about a standard tipping allocation is the smart one - everyone else is suckered into overpaying for their night out. Rather than feel guilty for not paying anything or paying too little - perhaps anger and expectation should be re-centered around the employer and the wage issues that keep wait staff at the bottom rung of the ladder. Ten minutes of a server's time in a restaurant is the same ten minutes he gives no matter what I order - I think my New Years resolution is about to get pretty clear. sammieswife.

• minimus
    minimus

OTWO, I based my impression more on your post of "we decided to leave her slightly less than 8% , still a considerable amount for 12 people, who ordered a few rounds of alcoholic drinks....It kind of averaged out to 8% with us Americans feeling we had to break 10%". Whether she appreciated the tip or not isn't at issue. To me, that's not a generous tip. Thanks for your comments.

• minimus
    minimus

Sammieswife, the guy or woman who decides to tip less might be the "smart one" but still "cheap".

My ex and I went out with a young couple, we were both newlyweds. Hank was a nice guy but known by all as "cheap". We had a nice meal, excellent service and when it came time to pay the bill, he gave EXACT change, not a penny more, reasoning "that's her job". I put the tip for the 4 of us and went my way. The following week Hank called us up again to go out for dinner. I politely refused. The following week he called again. I told him why I wouldn't want to go out with him again in this setting. He had a hard time grasping what the problem was.... His marriage lasted but a few years. His ex told people he was the cheapest guy! and she just couldn't take him anymore. I'm sure his cheapness wasn't the only problem.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

If service is reasonable I leave about 15% on the cost of food, 20% if the service is exceptional. The percentage is on the cost of the food and drink, never on the amount of taxes added. I will not tip someone for collecting taxes. If service is crap I leave nothing, or maybe one cent if it's really bad. Nothing in coffee shops or take out. I tip when someone brings me my food, and not when I have to go and get it myself. I tip pizza delivery guys, but I don't believe I should have to since I'm paying an extra charge for delivery.

I've done income tax returns for some waitresses. Not one ever claimed any tips as income, even though they were often bringing home a couple of hundred dollars a night in tips. Many made more money in 3 days than I do in 5.

Bottom line, leaving a tip is my choice, and never an obligation. The best way to get nothing is to make me feel obligated. I am not responsible for someone else's career choices.

W

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit