What's Your View on Tipping?

by minimus 122 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I've been to many all inclusives and have always tipped and believe me---it's worth it!

• falcon
    falcon

I have too Mr. Min.

May I suggest pre-tipping any masseuse, pre massage.

I know I do.. ;-)

• ldrnomo
    ldrnomo

I have aquired a number of tracts over the years so in lieu of money I leave a tract. What better way could one give the gift of life....?

JUST JOKEING

20% is usually max for 10 service and anything less then 10 service get's an appropriate deduction from the 20%

• AGuest
    AGuest

I think some are missing the point (and may you all have peace!). I personally don't have a problem with tipping IF I AM COMPELLED TO DO SO BY THE SERVICE I RECEIVE. I do NOT believe I should be MADE to do it based on (1) the amount of my bill, or (2) because the employer is too cheap to pay his/her employees a decent wage, or (3) in order for the employer/employee to avoid paying taxes, or (4) because of "custom" or "tradition."

I would be MORE than happy to pay a fare price for my MEAL... if it means wait staff will make a decent living.

That's all I'm sayin'. You know? I'm jus' sayin.

Peace, all!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• John Doe
    John Doe

I try to keep things upright so I don't have to worry about it.

• twinkle toes
    twinkle toes

Well I had to chime in on this one. One of my biggest pet peeves when I was younger.

I used to work as a chambermaid in my younger days. I didn't make a lot of money, but, minimum wage was like $7 or something. I had roommates and scraped by. Yet when I would go out to eat food every once in a while, like at a convention I was expected to tip the waitress generously. We both made the same wage! I never got tips as a chambermaid, or a store clerk. But if you are a waitress then people tip you out of obligation. I realize that this is very different in other countries where there is a very low min. wage. But in Canada it shouldn't be an obligation. Certainly the guy who pumps your gas, the person who cleans your hotel room, or bags your groceries, works as hard for their money as a waitress.

P.s. I waitressed a lot too. On a good night at a restaurant I would make $200 in tips. $56.00 in wages.

• mysterious437
    mysterious437

An important consideration on cruises is that if they fly under a foreign flag they are NOT under US minimum wage laws. Very important to remember when tipping the guy that makes up your room every day!

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

well, lets see how we did last night:

dinner $80 and another $5 or so in tax....... we gave a total of $102

after we walked around for 2 hours we went to starbucks, our bill was $9.25 we gave the remaining $.75 in the cup.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

LOL....there should NEVER be an argument over tipping...it's pretty ridiculous since any voluntary amount or time could be construed as cheap or selfish as compared to others. Let's face it - a lot of people never give to the Sally Ann cans at Christmas citing having 'given' in other ways already - I'd say compared to others, those people are selfish and cheap. Ditto people who give a buck at Christmas but would rather sit around and drink at the holidays than go to work at a food bank - could say they're selfish and cheap compared to others. It's all relative. People from other countries have different customs - doesn't mean they are cheap.

I agree with FF and AGuest - logic. I have also worked with wait staff who do not claim tips on taxes and who earn substantially more than I did while I worked as a cleaner and a desk clerk in the hotel industry. My cousin was a bus boy and when all was tallied, his take home was about $20.00/hour. No taxes.

A couple in PA, in the USA, were arrested this past week for NOT paying the 18% gratuity in their bill. The reason they refused to pay the $16.00 was because the waitress took an hour to serve them, poor service and the clients had to go and find their own silverware and napkins to use. They were handcuffed and charged with theft for not paying the tip. Were they cheap? I don't think so. Legally, perhaps they were obligated but I'm not sure because the case hasn't gone to court.

Tip what you want - or don't want to - I'm sure the next guy who loves to tip will make up for any shortfall you might cause in the servers pocket. I still say, paying a standard amount for service and NOT an amount based on price, is smart and totally logical. It isn't cheap and is much different than paying only to the penny - I have no problem with people not being guilted into following the herd. sammieswife.

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

In my waitressing days, I would have surely followed some cheapos out the door. Has anyone on this thread ever waited tables? Eating/Dining out is a luxury....do not go out and eat in a sit-down resturant if you are not going to tip 15-20%. I understand your point about whether you get a cheap meal or an expensive meal & then tipping for the meal as opposed to the service. Ok, here's where I'll probably get into trouble with stereotyping....but I waited tables for almost 15 years & am basing my thoughts on actual experiences.

If you come to a resturant where the average bill per person is 25 dollars, but you and your spouse order only one entree & split it, and order waters....or perhaps the cheapest bottle of wine: chances are, you are ALSO going to ask for 3 baskets of bread as well & possibly crackers for your bratty baby, who is going to drop it all over the floor as well as mix up the sugar packets and knock over on of your glasses of water. So, for taking up 2 hours at a table, ordering as cheaply as possible and then tipping 15%....it was YOUUUU people who drove me nuts! I HIGHLY recommend this: if you are not in the greatest shape financially but you desparately need to get out of the house and dine out but you can only afford to split a meal & ask for 3 free baskets of bread....for the love of gAWD tip more than 20%. and be extra nice to your server.

For Foreigners...do your research if you're traveling. I worked at a resturant that had a lamenated printout that said, in 15 different languages!, what the customary tipping policy was in our area. I always Looooved the ones who came in & you could just TELL that they knew but were playing the whole "i'm foreign" card. Ugh.

On the OTHER hand, for the fine folks who came in & ordered a $15 dollar meal & a nicer bottle of wine, I knew that they would take their time sipping the wine. They wouldn't guzzle their water just for the sake of watching me run back and forth to earn my tip. If they brought a child with them and crackers were crumbled all over the floor, they would kindly apologize. If the bill was on the more expensive side, a 15% tip for me was awesome (no less). If you show appreciation for the person who is taking care of your too-lazy-to-cook-at-home a$$, they will *hopefully* treat you like a king or queen and take care of you before you even need to be taken care of.

I always loved it when people from New York/New Jersey would come into my resturant...they were never that nice, but I just KNEW if I took care of business, made sure their drinks were taken care of & made sure the service was perfecto, they'd ALWAYS tip more than 20%.

For the jackass who said to me: Hey, are you allowed to accept tips? Plant your corn early....

I'd say "ohhhhh, you really should have thought to say that AFTER I delivered your meal. You don't even KNOW what happens behind kitchen doors (as I smiled and walked away)" As a sidenote, i NEVER spit in anyone's food or saw any of my coworkers do that. Unfortunately, too many servers DO grab lemons for your water with their barehands without using the tongs provided for sanitation....if I were you, I'd skip asking for lemon.

Alright...rant over. Like I said, I waited tables for 15 years because college was strictly forbidden in my congregation...so I'm pretty passionate about this. If I have a server who grabs my water glass with their hands around the area my mouth goes...they go on my $hitlist. And I always know if there is a mistake in my order if it was the kitchen's fault or the server's fault. Ok, for real, rant over....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit