What's Your View on Tipping?

by minimus 122 Replies latest jw friends

• Angharad
    Angharad

wow lots of Brit generalisations on this thread !

We usually tip between 15 -20% sometimes more on a sit down meal. We always give a few extra dollers to delivery takeout. I dont usually tip for takeout that I pick up because you are not tipping for the food your tipping for the service so I don't consider it necessary then when all they are doing is handing you a bag.

Usually tip hairdresser between 15 -20% depending on how happy I am, last time I went I only tipped 10% because I wasn't at all happy with it.

Oh and I don't tip my dentist but my teeth are good and so are my kids

• Robdar
    Robdar
    I ask, what have cows ever done to you? dang!

LMAO.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

I think people shouldn't feel obligated to tip for service and too many people feel intimidated into doing so. It has gotten beyond ridiculous - tip jars sitting on counters, employers (owners of hair salons, nail salons etc) all expecting a tip, taxi drivers, delivery people...it goes on forever. Interesting enough, I know people who are in customer service including receptionists in busy offices, who never ever receive tips but who work their butts off for minimum wage. I also think too many 'service' people expect tipping as a 'right' to supplemental wages, when in fact it is not. I worked as a maid in the hotel industry, as well as front desk person and never once did I ever expect someone to tip me - ever. I was paid to do my job and although the wage was minimal, I knew it when I took the job. I didn't expect anyone to supplement that wage - tips are not a 'right' but yet, I hear a lot of service employees labelling those who don't leave them extra bucks. sammieswife.

• carla
    carla

In my state waitstaff by law can be paid $2.35 per hour and are required by law to declare at least 10% of their entire days bills as tips whether they make it or not. So if you go out and do not tip the waitress still has to pay the taxes on your non tip. If the service is really terrible a very small tip and a penny or dime is still known throughout the waitstaff industry as an insult and that you were not happy with the service. just an fyi.

• flipper
    flipper

I eat out a lot when I'm on the road traveling to my jobs. If I'm eating at a restaurant ( not fast food ) I will usually tip the waitress a minimum of 20% . If I get really good service I'll tip 25 to 30 %

• Kaethra
    Kaethra

I think that us Canadians have been unfairly influenced by our American brethren then. If the reason for the 20% minimum tip is because American servers are paid hourly wages below the minimum, why is it that we Canadians need to tip our servers 20% when that is not the case in Canada?? Just askin'....

• NvrKssdNObutt
    NvrKssdNObutt

i was with a jerkhooba bro once and he asked the waitress if she was allowed to take tips---when she said yeah he said "plant your corn early" and walked off. so i turned around and left her more than i originally had--- boy was i embarassed for the what the jerkhobo said

• Robdar
    Robdar
    so i turned around and left her more than i originally had--- boy was i embarassed for the what the jerkhobo said

I've done the same thing.

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

It's way too overblown and way too stupid in many cases. If a person is tipping for service, then why the hell are you putting a percentage on the price of the meal? I mean, let's face it - I go to a restaurant and order a $40.00 meal that includes a bottle of cheap wine ...the staff expect a 20% tip on that....I sit on the other side of the restaurant and order a meal for $200.00 that includes a more expensive bottle of wine and yet the staff expect a 20% tip. Tipping on the price of the meal makes no sense simply because the time spent uncorking the wine takes the same number of minutes - walking a steak out of the kitchen vs walking a burger out of the kitchen takes up the same amount of time ...placing the plate on your table - the same amount of time and focus. Nothing different but the price of the meal and theoretically, you could have the same waiter, performing the exact same service, in the same restaurant and yet expect to pay him more in a larger tip, simply because you ate a meal that cost you more. That is not tipping on service - it's tipping on the cost of your meal.

So it would appear that tipping a wait staff based on the price of the meal has little to do with the service but with the cost of the meal...and realistically, many a meal has been overpriced.

Tipping a person as Starbucks for making your coffee? Why? Is the coffee supposed to be better for tipping the maker an extra buck? Drive through windows at Micky D's? Some tip there - why? So a guy can hand you a burger in a bag that you just ordered through a microphone and got in a paper bag? The hair dresser who also happens to own the salon she is working in? She's self employed - are we saying that she'll screw up your hair if you don't tip her? What about the cabby? You pay him for a safe and quick ride to the airport - doesn't his cab fare include the presumption that he is professional and will provide that ride safely and quickly without a tip?

I think it's unfair to label one group of people cheaper or less sensitive to the issue of tipping if they don't fit the 'norm'.

I've been a tipper but the more I think about it, the more I think I need to rethink the whole tipping issue. sammieswife.

• AGuest
    AGuest

dear Sammieswife... and peace to you! I'm with you! It IS based on the price of the meal and NOT the service - GREAT example! We've all been duped, methinks, by the proprietors of such establishments who refuse to pay their staff their worth... to keep from paying payroll taxes... and wait personnel who went for some time without paying taxes. Bugs me that I can get the dirty look for NOT tipping... whilst the "boss" looks like the good guy. Good waitress? Pay her good. Bad waiter? Pay him minimum and let him get BETTER... by trying to EARN tips. Which should be left to the customers. Afraid someone won't tip? Please... we overtippers more than make up for them.

I think you hit the nail on the head, dear Sammieswife. Thank you... and peace to you!

A slave of Christ,

SA

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit