by minimus 122 Replies latest jw friends

• snowbird
    snowbird
    cheeky swine.....

NIN - JA!!!

Sylvia

• undercover
    undercover
    I would much rather pay more for my holiday for those in working in the service industry to get a better wage, than have to tip.

I would also, but it does ensure better service in a lot of instances.

If you've ever been on a cruise, you know how the room steward, the waiter, the water boy, the head waiter, the wine steward, (did I forget anyone?) fall all over themselves waiting on you...making sure they get at least the recommended tip. But we took a cruise one time where the cruise line was experimenting with including the tip charges in the price of the cruise. The staff got their cut, but it was preset. ( you could always tip extra but if you're told that your tips were included in the price, you tend to keep the money to yourself). Since the staff didn't need to work any harder for that preset amount, service suffered. We could tell a marked difference between the service on that cruise compared to the ones where we tipped at the end of the trip.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I don't consider myself a huge tipper, but most people are pleased with what I leave them. I wonder if that means that many don't tip so well.
    I typically tip 20% of the total before taxes. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, depending on the service. I know that times are changing and I try to keep a good attitude, but a tip can be lowered if we have to ask a waitstaff person for refills on water/coffee and ask for the check after waiting too long. I tend not to tip extra when they force a gratuity for a large group, but I will for great service.

I typically leave a few dollars for the maid/roomcleaner at a hotel. I tip 2 or 3 dollars for food delivery. I don't really use valets or get someone to help with bags when traveling, but I would remember such people if I did. Still, for a short help, a short tip would be ordinary.

I tend to overtip a skycap if I use them to check my bags when traveling. They help you skip a long line inside, struggling with bags, and they can send your bag to Timbuktu instead of where you need it. But inside the airport, no tip is expected for the airline employee.

• mouthy
    mouthy

15% always exceptional service 20% no WT or awake but I do leave my card
    http://exjw.weebly.com/ Just encase they are getting interested.
    My life is dedicated to STOP the WT screwing up MINDS!!!!!!

Like I allowed mine to be.

• keyser soze
    keyser soze

I always tip at least 15% for dine-in. Delivery drivers I never give less than $5 because they're using their own vehicles and gas, and because I used to be a delivery driver myself.

• wantarevolution
    wantarevolution

Tipping has always confused me. In ireland - for a service like Taxi etc, I would always round up to the next Note (ie , if a ride was 12€ it would be a 10€ and a 5€ and a "keep the change".

Here in a cafe , you always leave small change - so if a coffee costs 1€,30, 10 - 15c suffices. When you are with a group of people, and drinking a lot of beers on table services, it is usually about 50c per trip the waitress makes - so 4 beers each (for four people) you usually leave probably 2€.

The attitude here (both by punters and servers) is that they are just doing their job - like everyone else is...

• minimus
    minimus

The Brits are known to be poor tippers.

• White Dove
    White Dove

It sounds like Britton knows how to pay their staff so tipping isn't necessary. In America, wage can be 1/2 the legal minimum because the bosses count on customers paying the rest of their wage for them. I tip 20% in restaurants and at the salon.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

They also have lousy haircuts. Every Brit that visited my old congregation had poorly cut, messy hair. (even worse than mine, and I cut my own) Maybe it's because they didn't tip their barbers.

W

• mouthy
    mouthy

Go to your room Mini!!!

You too FF

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit