What's Your View on Tipping?

by minimus 122 Replies latest jw friends

• Olin Moyles Ghost
    Olin Moyles Ghost

This thread reminded me of a classic scene from Reservoir Dogs...Mr. Pink is not much of a tipper...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-qV9wVGb38

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you all have peace! I am SO glad someone brought this up!

The reason why there is tipping in the US is that the people are paid such low wages and are expected to make up the difference in tips.

Why IS that, I wonder? I mean, if we STOPPED tipping, wouldn't the wages be SO low... that the employers wouldn't be able to keep staff... and so would HAVE to pay a decent wage (or use illegals, which is... well, illegal)? I mean, aren't we "enabling" employers to pay cruddy wages? Also, aren't employers required to report... and wait staff/bussers required to PAY... a certain amount as "tips"... even if they don't receive such? Why don't they just include the amount in the price of the fare?

One of my pet peeves is how the whole "leave a penny/take a penny" tray thing has now turned into a "tip" jar. There is a tip jar at almost EVERY place that serves some kind of food... even if it's nothing more than bagging up a donut. There's no tip jar at the self-serve bakery in the grocery store. Honestly, I don't get it: why not charge what you need to charge to pay your workers a decent wage? (Besides the fact that the employer doesn't want to pay payroll and other taxes on the additional amount...)

And why do we tip some workers... and not ALL workers. Aren't ALL workers performing SOME kind of service for SOMEONE?

And why should I pay you... for pouring and handing me a cup of coffee? Is that really "service"?

And Isn't the TRUTH that tipping is a way to earn income WITHOUT paying taxes (in most cases)?

Wait, before you string me up: I virtually always overtip... usually because I just can't be bothered with trying to count how much (yes, I know - in Calif it's easy: 20% is about double the tax. But that means I have to THINK about it... and I don't WANT to think about it - I have other things to think about... ). But, I just don't get it.

I will continue to tip, of course, because... well, it's what we "do." It's... custom. Tradition.

And I do feel that I can say how I feel about this as my best BFF waitressed for years, as did her three sons, and now she and her husband own a very successful coffee shop, so successful, they are opening up a second location. I have never had this discussion with her, as I would NEVER want to hurt her feelings (and I think it would because I can tell by her comments when the matter comes up otherwise that "tipping" is, well, what we DO... it's the EXPECTED thing).

But I really don't get it. And I AM curious about it. I mean, I think it should be a voluntary thing... one resulting from impulse, in appreciation for attentive or extraordinary service. But I DON'T think it should be mandatory under any circumstances. Or, if it is... then I should be able to write it off, regardless of whether it was for business.

Again, I bid you all peace!

A slave of Christ,

SA, who doesn't "get" why tipping is okay... but not paying and/or cheating on your taxes is not...

• PSacramento
    PSacramento

20%, 15% is to hard to calculate, LOL !

If the service is horrid I write on the bill that it was very bad and leave no tip, if it was great I tip more than 20%.

• minimus
    minimus

When I go to dunkin Donuts I do not put $$ in the jar because they don't deserve a tip.

• dinah
    dinah

I ask, what have cows ever done to you? dang!

• dogisgod
    dogisgod

If you tip in cash instead of putting it on a card then it is not "reportable" to the IRS. In Arizona servers get "servers wages" which is $2.00/hr-taxes, etc. Can you believe THAT? If it's a slow day you could earn $16.00/day-tax etc. Many states have that. My mom was a waitress at one time when I was growing up. I remember helping her count her tips when she would come home. We depended on those tips. I therefore tip to help them. In my travels most staff at the hotels and restaurants say europeans tip very little if ever.

• The Almighty Homer
    The Almighty Homer

The rule for myself is tip low if the quality of service or product is poor, if the service was just OK I'll tip accordingly

and if the service was exceptional I usually tip very well.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I kind of like the tipping custom. If you notice the difference between the service you get from those that put a gratuity on the bill for a large party and those who do not, just imagine some of the service from minimum wage (or slightly higher) waitstaff. Some hustle for the tip and earn a decent living.

And just imagine how hard it would be to entice shapely women to work at Hooters if nobody tipped.

• minimus
    minimus

OTWO, you're not a real big tipper.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Min, we haven't had a good argument in a long time. Well, you went and ruined that, didn't you?

OTWO, you're not a real big tipper.

Here was my original thought:

I typically tip 20% of the total before taxes. Sometimes a bit more, sometimes a bit less, depending on the service. I know that times are changing and I try to keep a good attitude, but a tip can be lowered if we have to ask a waitstaff person for refills on water/coffee and ask for the check after waiting too long. I tend not to tip extra when they force a gratuity for a large group, but I will for great service.

I typically leave a few dollars for the maid/roomcleaner at a hotel. I tip 2 or 3 dollars for food delivery.

The word "typical" is in there. The story I told about Van Couver was factual and we tipped more than the Canadians. Rather than try to defend my tipping habits, I will just say this:

Min, you single people out with controversy or insults in your dead threads to liven things up. Otherwise, screw you.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit