What's Your View on Tipping?

by minimus 122 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Typically, I give at least 20% on my total bill. If the service or the waitress is especially charming, maybe more.

I wonder, when you sit at a bar/restaurant and have a meal and drinks and then order a take out ( I do this for my mother quite often) are you supposed to tip on everything, including the takeout??

When I stay in a hotel, I typically leave 2 or 3 dollars per day for the maid. If I get my car valeted, I usually tip $2.

What do you tip? Hopefully, not a Watchtower or Awake!

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

I always tip 20% of the bill. If the service is exceptional, sometimes a litte more. If the service is horrid, then less.

When getting takeout, I'll usually tip $1 or $2 dollars depending on the place. If all they are doing is handing over a pizza box, then nothing, Unless it's delivery, then I do tip about a couple of dollars for his time.

I have left tips at hotels for the maids or the cabin guy on the cruises.

• undercover
    undercover

20% on total bill at bars/restaurants...including the takeout.

Now if I get strictly takeout, like calling ahead and picking up a pizza, I give em a couple of bucks.

I'm kinda slack about tipping in hotels. I have a hard time tipping someone I never see and really didn't do anything personal for me. If they do something extra, I'll tip for that service then and there.

Valets get 2 bucks.

Hairdresser gets 20%.

Cabbies get anywhere from 3 to 10 bucks depending on the length of the ride and the total charge.

edit because BG75 reminded me of cruises: I tip the recommended amounts for service on cruises. I do not tip extra for bartenders on cruises as they already add a "service charge" to the total bill.

• minimus
    minimus

Have you ever had service that was simply horrible and the place automatically puts their tip in? What's worse is if an establishment puts it on the bill, doesn't inform you, and you pay an extra 20% !

• minimus
    minimus

I never tip on takeouts if they're only takeouts. I picked it up! Why should I tip them???

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

If service is good I tip. If service is crappy I don't. I am under no legal or contractual obligation.

W

• undercover
    undercover
    I never tip on takeouts if they're only takeouts. I picked it up! Why should I tip them???

Well, I don't know about every place, but at my favorite pizza place, it's a server that brings the pizza from the kitchen to the counter, checks to make sure it was what I ordered and concludes the transaction. I tip him/her because they checked the box and because that chore is pulling them away from taking care of their assigned tables, causing them to maybe have to rush back after I leave.

Plus I know the owner and some of the staff. I like to be a nice guy to em... but that's just me...

• ninja
    ninja

that was one of the big things I noticed in amerikay.....the tipping.........no one over here really tips at all (could be a scottish thing though...he he).......

people would faint if you gave them a tip........whereas one restaurant in new york actually came back and said our tip wasn't enough and to think

about it again......cheeky swine.....all them dimes add up you know

• undercover
    undercover
    no one over here really tips at all (could be a scottish thing though...he he).......people would faint if you gave them a tip

Yea, we noticed that when we were in Scotland. We tipped the barmaid at one pub out of habit (and partly because she was a cutie) and she brought it back to us and told us we left our change behind. We told her she could keep it and she looked at us like we were nuts.

• carpediem
    carpediem

It depends where I am as to how much I tip. Tipping isn't such a big thing in the UK, not like it is in the States or other countries. Service is mostly included in the vast majority of restaurants. However, if i have a good meal with good service I usually tip about 10 percent. I was really surprised when I went to America to find that tipping is an integral part of the the wage of many public service jobs. It seems everyone expected tipping - tourguides, bus drivers, waiters, bar staff. I spent a fortune on tipping (because I didnt want to seem like a mean Brit, and also think its important to do what is acceptable in whatever country you happen to be in). I would much rather pay more for my holiday for those in working in the service industry to get a better wage, than have to tip. but as they say 'when in Rome......'

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit