What's Your View on Tipping?

by minimus 122 Replies latest jw friends

• sammielee24
    sammielee24

Such sterotypes AWSnap.....perhaps the reason that some people actually share a meal in the USA is because the portions are so large, it can easily be done. The food portions are often huge and a lot of food is wasted when thrown in the trash - and yes, I've done the waitressing bit, the hotel maid service where I got to clean the puke up after drunks stumbled out of their rooms and people screamed at me because I was too slow in vacuuming the carpet...and yes, I've been in the kitchen when those little packets of tartar sauce and other condiments that come to you in open containers is tossed back into the jar, mixed up and guess what portion you get with your next meal?

I do share a meal at times when I know the particular restaurant serves mega portions however, I don't eat baskets of bread and toss junk around, nor have I ever brought a bunch of kids along with me. And for the record - last week while I was out, I got charged $4.00 for a cup of coffee - refused to buy another cup the next day and instead I ordered a glass of water. I did however leave an appropriate tip - even when the waiter disappeared twice and we had to ask someone to go find him twice just so we could get some service. Even when the waitress slapped my food in front of me and scurried away and I couldn't find her for another half hour as I wandered around the tables looking for silverware and salt.

Service tipping is just that - for service. It is not for the cost of the meal. I think after reading all these posts and stereotypes, I definitely have readjusted my thinking from being a consistent and fair tipper to a standardized tipper with perhaps additional monies for excellent service. sammieswife.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    In my waitressing days, I would have surely followed some cheapos out the door.

I say bullshit. It's precisely this attitude of entitlement that makes me want to puke. I tip because I choose to, never out of a sense of obligation. As I said earlier, there is no law that says I must tip. I am under no contractual obligation to tip. I am not responsible for someone else's stupid career choices.

It's exactly this sort of post that makes me want to rethink tipping, and whether I'll ever do it again.

And I'll go to restauraunts if I wish. I do not require your permission.

W

• AwSnap
    AwSnap

We're all entitled to our opinions, aren't we? I'm not calling anybody names....I wasn't calling anybody here a cheapo. It's just that people become waiters and waitresses for various reasons, mainly to make $$$. In my area, I think minimum wage is only $3 bucks an hour....

I see what you're saying about the entitlement thing, and I guess it sort of IS to an extent. It's a generally accepted thing to eat out and tip 15% if you receive good service. I was a kickass waitress and usually made 20% but never expected 20%....a person becomes a waiter, and hopefully does all they can to make the customer's experience awesome. Those are my keywords here...I never expected something for nothing...I was dedicated to my craft, and always heard "ohhhh you make such a great waitress!" <---eyerolling because, at the time, a waitress was all I was ever gonna be according to the cult...but that's a whole different thread. It just really sucks when 3 separate groups of people come in and decide it's just not their "thing" to tip well. I've had that happen before and it's really depressing, especially when you have a car payment or rent due and you KNOW you've done a good job. Know what I'm saying?

Sammieswife, of course I don't know you personally and wasn't trying to attack you ...I think there was a sentence that caught my eye that reminded me of MANY situations & started my rant. Apologies if I sounded like you were the reason for my rant.

last week while I was out, I got charged $4.00 for a cup of coffee - refused to buy another cup the next day and instead I ordered a glass of water. I did however leave an appropriate tip - even when the waiter disappeared twice and we had to ask someone to go find him twice just so we could get some service. Even when the waitress slapped my food in front of me and scurried away and I couldn't find her for another half hour as I wandered around the tables looking for silverware and salt. <---this would be a PERFECT example when a 10% tip WOULD be appropriate... $hitty attitudes do not deserve the customers hardearned $$$.

• Simon
    Simon

I'll normally tip 15% - 20%. Less if the service is awful (but it has to be really bad, not just "not great") and more if it's really good or if the waitress is stunning. In this case is 70% really too much?

• AGuest
    AGuest

May you all have peace!

I'm still with Sammieswife... and Finally-Free... 'til the wheels fall off on this one. Sorry, Awsnap, but what you posted is EXACTLY why I don't like: being told I HAVE to tip anybody anything... FOR anything. Common decency says that when I receive minimal service, I should show my appreciation to my server... and leave him/her a tip. But that is not what I was speaking of AT ALL.

I am speaking of those instances where the service is NOT great, but I am still expected to tip something... or the tip is "included" which takes away my choice (why not just quote me a price, tip inclusive, without telling me that part was a tip; I mean, what's the difference?)... or the wait help is paid so low they are dependent on MY tips to make a living (the fact that I even patronized the establishment should be sufficient indication of my support). Should a server give me better service because I am a better tipper? Seriously??!! The server should do his/her JOB... regardless of what I tip. Just like ANYONE should do their job... because... IT'S THEIR JOB.

It is a scam... no matter what folks think. It is. It is deceitful, even if it is "customary." It's a deceitful custom.

My final say, however, is that one should NOT do a job one does not like doing. Yes, yes, I know... very many people have to do jobs they don't like in order to make ends meet. Okay. But if that is one's lot, one should NOT take it out on the customer... or expect the customer to "pay" for one's... or one's employer's... deficiency. One should either (1) find a better job, (2) find a better employer, or (2) change one's line of work (but do the job they're paid to do in the meantime).

There are a plethora of folks out there who also don't like their jobs... and don't receive tips for them either. We complain about the "service" (or lack thereof) that we received from all sorts of industries. MOST of them, however, are not tipped for their work. Yet, although we DO tip in various industries, such is NOT a guarantee of good service. A GOOD wait person is going to give you GOOD service... REGARDLESS of what you tip... or even whether you tip... because they are CONSCIENTIOUS workers. AwSnap's last comment attests to that. Chiding poor tippers is like calling householders who don't want your magazines "goats." It's... indecent.

For the comment regarding restaurants being the fastest failing business... I have to say, yes, but then surely it's upon the one taking on such a venture to count the cost, yes? Perhaps it's the lure of LOW WAGES TO EMPLOYEES that give such entrepreneurs the hutzpah to undertake such a venture at all. Again, why not simply include the tip rate in the actual meal cost... and stop calling it something that's in addition? Because... everyone (owner and staff)... would have to pay taxes on ALL of the "tip."

C'mon, folks... it is what it is: a way "legitimate" way to cheat on taxes.

Now, I'm not knocking that in and of itself; I am knocking that many of those very same people... whose livelihoods depend on tips... who are the a the head of the line of those who think OTHER people who cheat on their taxes are the spawn of Satan. Indeed, I've heard 'em say close to that. And so, I'm just saying...

Bottom line: LET me tip... because I really am a generous soul and do tip well. However, don't MAKE me... and/or tryp to make me feel bad or call me "cheap," etc., if I don't or don't to the extent YOU think I should. Because then you're infringing on MY... FREEDOM... to CHOOSE... while YOU'RE participating in deceptive practices. And I really don't like THAT... at all

So, okay, I've had my say, so movin' on...

A slave of Christ,

SA

• John Doe
    John Doe
    These people (as well as dr`s) work hell hard, at sometimes inhuman hours and shifts and are very low paid (I know since I have been there) and I don`t mean to patronize you here - but if you would make me choose - I would easily say their jobs (and mine) are a lot more "important" than yours - that isn`t excactly lifesaving.

How many of them make $2 an hour? Like it or not, tipping is a planned part of wait staff's pay. Those who do not pay when there is no problem with service are despicable, to put it mildly.

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dr. Nathmedeah, thank YOU... and peace to you!! I would MUCH rather "tip" someone who cleaned ME... and my "dirt" up (and if any here's ever been in the hospital, you know exactly what I mean)... than cleaned my table up.

Those who do not pay when there is no problem with service are despicable, to put it mildly.

But their employers... who make a pretty good living and can pay THEIR mortgages and car loans... are not. Right? (Shaking head) Shoot, no wonder Ms. Sylvie's always giving you the blues - methinks p'haps you deserves 'em. BUT... I bid you peace, too!

A slave of Christ,

SA

• John Doe
    John Doe

Are you seriously comparing a doctor's pay to wait staff's? Come now, we're not imbeciles.

• John Doe
    John Doe
    But their employers... who make a pretty good living and can pay THEIR mortgages and car loans... are not. Right?

So, you're going to short the staff? That just makes your position even more untennable.

• LightCloud
    LightCloud

Pretty simple for me.

Bad service=Bad tip (Rarely if ever none it has to be exceptionally bad service but I would call bad 10% or less)

Average service=average tip (anywhere between the 10% and 20%)

Good service=Good tip (20% or more)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit