Are some of us still judgmental and think ourselves morally superior?

by nvrgnbk 121 Replies latest jw friends

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Honestly, what you judge (yes I chose that word deliberately) to be judgemental - I judge to be people being concerned for someone who is acting out in destructive ways to himself and others.

Frankly, I'd like to respectfully disagree with the sentiment, "Well we all make mistakes, and hey kids will be kids" attitude. Some mistakes are made as kids, but we're not talking about getting silly the first time we indulge in a little booze-arino. We're talking about diliberate drinking to get drunk and act out in socially unacceptable ways on purpose. To me, that's destructive and more than a few laughs and jokes.

In a community like this some of us have had to witness alcohol abuse, either within ourselves or in those we love.

In a community like this some of us have had to deal with suicide, either thoughts of our own, or friends and family taking their own lives.

In a community like this some of us have opinions on the best way one should exit the organization. Yee-ha do it with a bang, or silently slip into the background. That's a choice everyone makes for themselves and everyone will have an opinion on.

And the list goes on. It's still all about perspective. You see someone getting a little silly, and others see someone hurting. Who's judgement is the correct one?

Well we can debate that all day - and probably will - what with this being a message board and all...

• Dansk
    Dansk

Well, the older I've got the more wise I believe I have become! I look back at some of the things I did as a teenager/early twenties and shudder. Now, I have a teenage son and twenty-year-olds of my own. I don't judge them or anyone else. I may not like how they and other young ones behave (or many adults come to that!) but who the heck am I to judge, especially considering my own past?!

Morally superiour? Heck, no! I don't like sexual promiscuity but people come from all walks of life and we don't know their hurt or reasons for doing things. Many of us are carrying baggage around. It can take years to off-load it!

Ian

• Amber Rose
    Amber Rose

Is referring to others as "judgmental" being judgmental?

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Great thread Nvr!

I personally do not think that I am morally superior nor do I consider myself to be judgemental; I do think that its proper and kind to point out where someone could be going wrong when they ask for peoples comments on a public board, and that is what I attempted to do. His behaviour at the convention cannot be condoned and if he carried on doing what he did, then things could go horribly wrong for him longer term. If he didnt want constructive criticism then he should not have posted.

Personally I feel a certain pity for him - he seems in pain!

What do you think Nvr?

Peace

Gary

• Paralipomenon
    Paralipomenon

It depends on the perspective I guess.

If someone is making suggestions that you agree with, is it advice? If someone makes suggestions you disagree with, does it make it a judgment?

To me, everyone is entitled to their opinion. It's up to the individual to decide if the opinions are worthwhile or not to them personally.

• ex-nj-jw
    ex-nj-jw

I don't think anyone was being judgemental, he put it out there and we responded. I have a 17, 19 and 24 year old and I would give them the same ADVISE as he was given.

It was not cute, funny or in any way amusing. If he felt he had to have something to drink because he had to go and that was the only way he could get through it and just sat at his seat without trying to seduce a teenager (mind you that is statutory rape by the way), find people to harass, embarras anyone then go for it. But it was my understanding from his reply that he didn't have to go, he chose to go.

As I said in my post when he originally told us what he was going to do, "do you think no one will smell the alchohol"? It seems he did more to embarras himself than anyone else!

Just my 2 cents!

nj

• jgnat
    jgnat

This is a loaded question that cannot properly be answered. Those who are truly judgemental won't recognize themselves, and the morally sensitive will feel unneccessarily guilty.

I chose not to respond to the drunken assemblyman. No answer seemed adequate.

I do think it appropriate, at times, to say, "You screwed up, man." As long as we recognize our own humanity when we answer.

P.S. I am relieved, however, that he did not get a standing ovation. Can you imagine if the board had gone the other way and commended his behavior?

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

I get what you're saying too Josie, but I'm not talking about being yesmen or do-whatever-the-hell-you-want-to advocates.

Sorry if my comments or my questions have been misunderstood.

JWD means a great deal to me.

Np, but I dont think anyone has really misunderstood what you're saying. This is a board of ordinary people who are going to express their opinions. Some thought he was funny and what he did rocked and others thought it was wrong and express concern about his actions and person. Like Jgnat I'm glad this board did not totally cheer on his drunken antics at the DC.

Personally I think it was rather sad and uncalled for.

Josie

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

Thanks all.

I just think so many kids come here, hurting. This cult killed us while we were still alive.

Those of us that really believed, if even for a moment, feel a huge sense of loss. We'll never be "right", not completely anyway.

Yes diamondblue1974, I feel bad for mincan, I want him to find peace and happiness.

I knew I'd be called judgmental, for simply asking if some of us are judgmental.

I can take it.

I never said I wasn't screwed up.

Those of you who love me anyway, I love you back.

Those of you who don't, well you know what you ca..................................just kidding, love you too. LOL!

• z
    z
    Personally I feel a certain pity for him - he seems in pain!

This is exactly my feeling …. Not sure all of it happened… the kid need help some did not offered help but attacked him ….this to me is judgmental …what do I know I’m worldly man who have kids son and daughter BTW no one can mess with her not even me

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit