Are some of us still judgmental and think ourselves morally superior?

by nvrgnbk 121 Replies latest jw friends

• Missanna
    Missanna

i agree completely Nvr. who are we to tell someone they are wrong for what they do or how they act? isn't that one of the reasons we left the borg? i hear ya brother!

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk

I'm not referring to you mouthy. Please don't take it like that.

I have respect for everyone here.

It's just a question.

To be discussed.

If it is believed to betray inferences to individuals, only the one believing so can say why.

What do we know?

What do any of us know?

We were born.

We will die.

Hopefully we love in between.

I love you all.

Just been perceiving, it's probably me, a trend towards judging.

We all know, without exception, that we have done, are doing, or will do something "wrong" in our lives.

These confused kids, I'm one of them at almost 35 years of age, need our love and understanding.

I get what you're saying too Josie, but I'm not talking about being yesmen or do-whatever-the-hell-you-want-to advocates.

Sorry if my comments or my questions have been misunderstood.

JWD means a great deal to me.

• eclipse
    eclipse

Some people are like that, nvr....

Yes, it's a downer,

The only way we will never hear others telling other people what to do, how to live their life, is when people start letting other people live, wether they agree with it or not....

From where I stand, I see that christendom holds the opposite of this belief, since they believe it is their moral obligation to either save others or condemn them, - mormons, JW's, evangelicals, baptists, born-agains, fundamentalists etc.

I think that the only time a person should intervene in someone else's life, is when that person is injuring a defenceless innocent, like a child, or an elderly person.

I'm sure I'm going to be flamed for saying the above...and that's ok. It's just their opinion, and they have a right to have one, just as I do.

-eclipse

(of the ''used to be a goody-goody once...and I didn't like myself when I was'' class)

• Warlock
    Warlock

To answer your question would be judgmental.

To not answer you question would be judgmental.

Warlock

• BFD
    BFD

If you're refering to Drunk at the ASSembly I don't think anyone was too hard on the guy. Maybe a little. But wouldn't it be far worse not to point out the error in judgement that Mincan displayed at the convention? Yes, he is young and young 'uns do make mistakes. I am not of the opinion that his behaviour is a reflection of "us" apostates as other posters pointed out to him. I thought that was a bit over the top.

IMO, Mincan wanted attention and he got it. Maybe not the kind of attention he was craving for but none the less he did get attention.

People should call it like they see it. I take it very seriously upon any mention of suicide and that's why I replied the way I did. He does need help if he is having suicidal thoughts and that should not be candy coated.

BFD

• The wanderer
    The wanderer

Dear Nvr:

I think it boils down to motivation and how an
    individual perceives other individuals. I think
    if a person looks at the positive aspects
    of people you become less of a faultfinder.

If an individual has an axe to grind they will
    never see anything good.

Regarding those who belong to the "master race",
    simply just ignore them or left click with your
    mouse button and they readily disappear.

Respectfully,

Richard

• Missanna
    Missanna

thinking about it though if there weren't people out there that looked at things a different way and was a little judgemental or harsh or whatever these theads wouldn't be so interesting. so i guess it can be good too.

• Georgiegirl
    Georgiegirl

I am a lurker and usually don't comment BUT...

Judgmental is a term that seems to be negatively - as in - it's "wrong to judge". I vehemently disagree with that - we make judgment calls EVERY day - on what we eat, what we put on, how we treat people. It's not wrong to judge and assuming that because someone judges means they also feel they are morally superior is silly, IMO.

I did read the post that you are obliquely referring too, and frankly was horrified by it and was very gratified to see mature people who have "been there, done that" express concern, provide some guidance and some loving advice. No one condemned the poster, just his actions. It's NOT funny to be publicly drunk. I don't know where the poster lives, but in most states, it's also illegal. Imagine if he had (by his own admission was not too steady on his feet), tripped down the stairs and hurt a child? or an elderly person? How hypocritical is it to judge JWs for not respecting us but then to disrespect them right back? Whether it was at a convention or any other public gathering where there are children, it shows a lack of good judgment and general respect to behave that way. Several posters commented that kind of behavior gives non-JWs a bad name. How can you disagree with that? That's not acting "morally superior", that's stating a fact.

I hate for one of my few posts to be a negative one, I really do. This board has been enormously helpful to me and I do read it daily. However, in this case - GROW UP everyone. Take off the anti-JW rhetoric and put this behavior in context. An underage (I believe his profile says 20) kid, got smashed in front his mom, tried to proposition a teenage girl, exposed small children to his drunkenness, embarrassed his friends and generally behaved like a complete ass. He has an alcohol problem and as someone who has seen first-hand the devasting affects of that - it's NOT funny and it should NOT be catered to, condoned, or treated as if it's some big win in the battle against JWs. I'd be offended no matter where this happened.

My heart hurt reading his post. He's obviously in pain, doesn't know where to go or what to do with his life and has no firm help. I sincerely hope that he gets help - not because I think I'm "morally superior", but because I'm a human being who cares about others. (and now, back to Lurkdom).

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Plenty of people are like that regardless of their history.

• Warlock
    Warlock

Human beings ARE judgmental and they always will be.

My question is why do people want to take the "human" out of humans?

Warlock

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit