new watchtower mag arrangement

by shadowofbathory 122 Replies latest jw friends

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

Betterdaze, with my reduced status I just get the scraps. I'll be with an elder over lunch later this week. He may have more for me. But the letter has been read.

tsof

• under_believer
    under_believer

Well here's your first eyewitness sighting. It's official.

They read this letter at our TMS&SM tonight. Here's the scoop:

* Watchtower is still bi-monthly.
    * The WT on the 1st will be referred to as the "Public" Watchtower. It will contain no study articles, only public-oriented information with no jargon (they specifically said that--no phrases or words that are difficult for the public to understand, like "pioneer" and "publisher".)
    * The WT on the 15th will be the "Study" Watchtower. It will have all the study articles for the whole month and will be only for publishers and interested ones (yes, it will be available to studies/interested people.) It is NOT for the general public.
    * Only the 1st Watchtower and the 8th Awake will be offered in service.

As people have already pointed out, there are many benefits to this. Vast cost savings. Simplified preparation for field service. An easier-to-sell pair of magazines. Information control (of course exJWs will still get them, but the public won't read weird crap about gays dying at Armageddon.)

Anyways, just thought you'd like to hear it firsthand.

• SirNose586
    SirNose586

So that's the news, eh? I thought they were going to cut the WT down to one issue per month, like the Awake. This is better than I had hoped! A propaganda flavor WT, and a Cult Edition WT. My my, how the Tower turns.

Now they get to save money, and beat the flock harder! And the public won't get to see them.

Methinks I could have some fun replacing the "Public Consumption" WT with the "Cult Edition" WTs at the laundromats around town!

• betterdaze
    betterdaze

This new arrangement sounds eerily familiar...

25"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You clean the outside of the cup and dish, but inside they are full of greed and self-indulgence. 26Blind Pharisee! First clean the inside of the cup and dish, and then the outside also will be clean.

27"Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You are like whitewashed tombs, which look beautiful on the outside but on the inside are full of dead men's bones and everything unclean. 28In the same way, on the outside you appear to people as righteous but on the inside you are full of hypocrisy and wickedness.

~Sue

• aniron
    aniron

When does it come into operation?

• choosing life
    choosing life

Does anyone have proof that they are going to drop the Awake magazine totally or is this just a guess?

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Dropping the Awake is just a guess.

The new arrangement sounds very logical, it makes an Awake and Watchtower pair. I always wondered how JWs worked out which W to offer the G with.

• truthsetsonefree
    truthsetsonefree

The new Craptower issues are to begin with January 2008. And Yes I look forward to circulating the "cult" ones as well. Wow, I may start reporting again!

tsof

• jayhawk1
    jayhawk1

(Thinking of Seinfeld's Soup Nazi)

"You are irregular at meetings... No Watchtower for you!"

• observador
    observador
    "look how special and exclusive we are, we get lots more information than just the regular public gets!"

This can backfire, though. When I was a JW, for many years I entertained the idea of having exactly such an arrangement because of how ridiculous it is to offer bullcrap articles (aka "deep spiritual truth") for the general public.

But then I would always rationalise that what is good for us is good for the public and, besides, we are an "open organization", right? So, now, having one mag for inside comsumption and another for outside comsuption could make some braincells to think and start questioning.

I certainly hope that happens!

Observador.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit