new watchtower mag arrangement

by shadowofbathory 122 Replies latest jw friends

• silentWatcher
    silentWatcher

this makes sense. ever remember how difficult it was to place some watchtowers, especially the "witness-centric" ones. I always pitched the Awakes in my presentations. easier sell. The general interest articles in the Watchtower were usually "biblical" in nature, and sometimes mildly interesting -- articles about the finer points of Hebrew and Greek grammer were actually informative (I've impressed people with my knowledge about the 4 greek words for love). I could see the public Watchtower becoming an "Awake" for the bible -- articles about greek and hebrew grammer, and impact on translation into the vulgates of today. And Awake still being the more "general purpose" magazine (science, general interest articles). The "internal" Watchtower will become a 32 page Kingdom Ministry. Actually, I would assume the KM is more likely to be folded into the new "internal" Watchtower. Study articles for Sunday, and other articles for the Service meeting.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I'm guessing this is to make things easier in FS where you won't have to match up two WTs with one Awake. Eventually, the Awake will probably be done away with, and you'll have a bi-monthly watchtower - a thicker one for the R+F and FS, adnd a thinner one only for the R+F.

But, I'm gonna throw out another wacky idea that would REALLY cut down costs for the WTS. Every congregation gets ONE SET of study articles, and each congregation has to make enough photocopies for the entire congregation. And guess who has to pay for that? THE CONGREGATION. It's just another way of the WTS distancing itself from the individual congregations. Distributing the articles could also be done through the internet or via email.

I could see them eventually going this route.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Many on this board have a feeling that possibly some time in the future the WTS may take advantage of digitial technology in it's distribution in order to cut costs.

I just wanted to say that IMO this will never happen. How would they ever do this? There are so many technical aspects of this that make it a nightmare for the WTS (security, user access and availability, ect.)

Let's not also forget a main feature of cults namely, the restriction of information!

I say this has everything to do with:

a) Public Image - Hiding the more extreme doctrines from the public
    b) Information Control - Keeping information containted to the loyal few
    c) Cost - Less magazines to print since one edition will be only for the 'faithful' (like the KM)

Anything about the WTS going digitial I think is totally out of line with the fact they are a cult. Why would they make their wacky information more accessable? If anything they want to restrict such information, not make it more widely available.

-Drew

• ninja
    ninja

Sorry to question but how do we know it's true? ...any confirmation?....might this be rumours?....hope it is true though

• Gill
    Gill

Passwords, encryption etc, etc

How about the JW user has to have his credit card handy and password to get the encrypted 'New Light BS' from the GB downloaded onto his PC!

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    There are so many technical aspects of this that make it a nightmare for the WTS (security, user access and availability, ect.)

You're forgetting that the WTS has a supply of computer savvy people working at Bethel. Also, the average joe doesn't know how to hack into his own house. Also, hacking into someone else's computer system is illegal. It's risky for the hacker to do so.

Either the articles could be mailed out ($$$ postage $$$) but if every PO is put onto an email list (or every KH's email address), only those on the email list will recieve the study articles. The POs then run enough copies for those who attend the Sunday meeting. The only way the study articles could leak is if someone has access to the PO's email, or copies the study article after it has been used.

c) Cost - Less magazines to print since one edition will be only for the 'faithful' (like the KM)

The cost of the paper, the xerox machine / printer, maintenance, and ink would go to the Congregation, not the WTS. There would be less cost for the congregation if some brother has knowledge on how to fix printers or xerox machines. When the machine breaks down and copies need to be made, they'll just borrow a computer or xerox machine from another congregation.

• ninja
    ninja

if true they are downsizing rather than the opposite...yet they will spin it good for themselves..the swinesss!!.in my best russell brand voice...

• yaddayadda
    yaddayadda

I think Drew Sagan hit in on the head as quoted above. But I would put the order of priority as C, A, B.

It's interesting to see how these things happen in waves. First the change to the Awake from bi-monthly to monthly; now this upcoming change to the Watchtower. Seems they did a test run with the Awake first.

The wonder of it is that they didn't do this years ago.

This will induce a little wave of excitement in the rank and file and will probably keep the publisher stats up for 2007.

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

If true this could come into effect without any announcement but just as a matter of fact. Then it just means that the 15th-edition is just more intersting in terms of New Light (tm).

• Balsam
    Balsam

Well I had some Elders visit me after discovering I am an ex-jw and they were disturbed that I had been deceiving them in order to attain the magazines. They informed me that the literature was not for entertainment, and disf'ed or dissed ones would have to attend meeting to get them. I said well why then are the watchtower and awakes left with the general public? They had no answer for that. That happened about 6 months ago.

So them cutting back on the study magazines to one and that it will not be distributed to the general public shows the need for them to keep their teachings away from prying eyes. Secondly it will certainly save them a good deal of money. Fluff magazines for the general public. They protect themselves from scrutiny, save money, and make the R & F feel special and separate from the wicked world as they perceive it.

Balsam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit