Please post new forum feedback or questions here

by Simon 180 Replies latest forum tech-support

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Test

I just would like to remind everyone that this forum is designed by an individual Web Designer and is not

an off the shelf piece of blogging software .

Hence the bugs, which I'm sure will eventually be resolved.

The other problem in designing these kinds of Web Sites is that now days there are so many different web browsers in use and each has their own way of digitally presenting web pages,  added to that there are now small mobile devises which again use revised versions of Web browsers..    ....   Oy vey !

Thanks to Simon for all his hard work in keeping the site going for over 14 years now.

Happy New Year Simon and family ! 

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Still having that hanging on during posting attempts.

The post does appear though but the hanging issue is still there.

IE 11  Win.7 

• Simon
    Simon
    Yeah, I'm looking into what may be causing that. I get it on IE 11 too.
  • Apognophos
    Apognophos

A few new issues:

- when copying the text of a PM, the line breaks or paragraph breaks all vanish and the text gets pasted in as a monolithic block

- in PMs and forum posts, instead of just the user avatar's square area being clickable, the clickable area continues invisibly running down the page underneath that icon; mousing over that white space will show the same link as when pointing to the avatar itself

- the colon-hyphen-slash sequence in URLs seems to be turning into an emoticon now -- see below

Just a review of past issues that are still open:

- the unread PM inbox counts are still off; unfortunately a number of users are seeing that message to download an app to read their messages, which, combined with the wrong unread PM count, may be causing people to download malware (they should be more computer-savvy, of course, but well, you know)

- the text "Discuss anything Jehovah Witness, JW.org or WatchTower society related" has the issues I mentioned here, most notably the missing "'s": http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/topic/12020001/please-post-new-forum-feedback-questions-here?page=10

- when viewing your own profile, it gives the correct post count across all threads you've participated in, but gives only your own created thread count, e.g. "4,264 posts in 43 topics" -- I've created 43 topics but I've posted on hundreds, which don't seem to be viewable

- the quote-style button cannot turn off the quote style for selected text, at least in Firefox on a Mac

I know you have a lot on your plate, so this isn't meant as a nag. I'm just an obsessive organizer and I like to report bugs :-)

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath
    love it i can post photo and vid URL straight to this inbox
  • Oubliette
    Oubliette
    There is a 1 next to my PM icon, yet I don't seem to have any unread messages.
  • Apognophos
    Apognophos

Also, PMs carried over from the old forum have bare HTML in them.  I'm pretty sure you already know about this, Simon.  I know you said you could enable some markup for PMs, so hopefully they will stop looking like this at some point:

<br />

<br />&quot;Here&#39;s a sample.&quot;

• Simon
    Simon
    PMs carried over from the old forum have bare HTML in them.  I'm pretty sure you already know about this,

Yeah, I figured it was better to make new messages readable (by adding the linebreaks) even though that broke the old ones. I'll fix those at a later date.

when copying the text of a PM, the line breaks or paragraph breaks all vanish and the text gets pasted in as a monolithic block

That's related to the above - it was a quick fix, not a final solution.

in PMs and forum posts, instead of just the user avatar's square area being clickable, the clickable area continues invisibly running down the page underneath that icon

That seems to be a quirk of some recent changes to bootstrap - I can certainly work round it to limit the link to the avatar itself.

the colon-hyphen-slash sequence in URLs seems to be turning into an emoticon now

Yeah, it should check that it has whitespace or a break before it but mustn't be working right.

the unread PM inbox counts are still off

It's running an update job right now that should fix these.

the text "Discuss anything Jehovah Witness, JW.org or WatchTower society related" has the issues I mentioned here, most notably the missing "'s"

That is by design for SEO purposes.

when viewing your own profile, topics I've posted on don't seem to be viewable

The "topics I've posted in" view will come later. I'm intended to combine that with the ability to mark / follow topics (without having to post in them).

the quote-style button cannot turn off the quote style for selected text, at least in Firefox on a Mac

It doesn't seem to work right on IE either. It was my first attempt at customizing the editor, LOL.. I need to dig into the code some more - maybe easier to add a corresponding 'make normal paragraph' button.

Thanks for all the feedback!

• Apognophos
    Apognophos

Okay, sounds good.  Though I'm curious about:

That is by design for SEO purposes

:-O You mean even the part where it says "Jehovah Witness"? :-/  It didn't say that on the old forum, did it?

Edit: Yay, my PM count is fixed, thank you!

• Simon
    Simon
    :-O You mean even the part where it says "Jehovah Witness"? :-/  It didn't say that on the old forum, did it?

Yes, I changed it a few months back. Quite a few people search for "Jehovah Witness" so it helps a little with SEO.

Edit: Yay, my PM count is fixed, thank you!

You're welcome. It should be fixed for everyone (I didn't check if it finished, I presumed it ran)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit