Why don't Dub families have pets?

by MinisterAmos 110 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• maxwell
    maxwell

My sister had a dog when I was growin up as a Jehovah's Witness. The last place I went to a bookstudy was a private home where the owner/MS/bookstudy conductor's family had a dog which they let run around the house freely, except they tied him up during the actual bookstudy. I am of course no longer a JW, but I have no interest in pets. For me personally, it would be a waste of time and money for an animal.

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

One of my friends had a dog growing up. It was her dad's pride and joy. When the dog died, he took it really hard. He was depressed for a long time. The elders told him to get over it because dogs won't be resurrected. To this day, this jw holds to the belief that the promise that jehovah will "satisfy the desire of every living thing" means that his dog will indeed be with him in paradise, because that's his only desire. I sometimes wonder if it's the main reason he stays in the org.
    tall penguin

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

It's quite disappointing to see that R6Laser was confronted with a barrage of negative response for simply pointing out the same thing that I pointed out earlier on this thread... specifically, that people are looking for a correlation where none really exists.

• wombat
    wombat

Jeffro.... take the trouble to read the whole effen thread.....It's just a bunch of folk having a chat...

Don't be a super serious dick. Chill pill time.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Why don't Dub families have pets?

Well, not having pets would reduce the temptation to get involved in animal worship or other pagan rituals.

Rub a Dub

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

In my old congregation most people had some sort of pet. The only trouble they had was finding someone to care for them during conventions and assemblies. Since all their friends were dubbies, they were attending the same functions.

There was one older single sister who had a houseful of pets that others didn't want. She lavished as much love and care on them as others did their children (I always figured she was using them as a surrogate for the husband and children she had told me she wanted so desperately.)

Convention time came, and she didn't go. Elders were dispatched to speak with her, and she told them her reason. They really hammered her with guilt, but came up with no pratical solutions. (Typical.) In fact, she made it known that she would never accept a sheparding call from one particular elder from that time forward.

Lo and behold, at the next special needs talk, the PO spoke derisively of this problem. The poor sister was just in tears. I felt so bad for her.

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll
    Even now those that I know have pets, from dogs to snakes.

I knew a brother who's mother wouldn't let him have a snake in the house because she thought they were "satanic" and that bringing one into the house as a pet would be like bringing Satan into the house. On one occasion I was witness to an argument between them about a pet snake where she resorted to threatening to tell the Elders that he wanted a Satanic Snake lol

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

On one occasion I was witness to an argument between them about a pet snake where she resorted to threatening to tell the Elders that he wanted a Satanic Snake

Maybe the snake was trying to discourage the guy from meetings and field service and questioning his loyalty to God.

Don't laugh, I read that that has happened before.

Rub a Dub

• luna2
    luna2

I had a ton of pets when I first became a dublette. It was a pain in the ass, tho I loved them all. They took up a lot of time and money and flea powder. I don't think I decided to become pet-less because of being a dub, however. I just got tired of all the work and mess.

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

We had a lot of animals but never took them to assemblies™ like the Germans do or out on field sevice™ like they do in Scotland. One day we got a call from the vet, our lassie had been run over. We got there too late to save her from a blood transfusion so we were a bit wary of the apostadog after that.

Frank Ewanitza an Elder™ at Elizabeth once went door to door with a stray cat. It was embarrasing. People were more scared of him placing™ the puss than placing™ the mags.

unclebruce

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit