Christmas not Xmas!

by hibiscusfire 405 Replies latest jw friends

• Legolas
    Legolas
    XmasThis abbreviation for Christmas is of Greek origin. The word for Christ in Greek is Xristos. During the 16th century, Europeans began using the first initial of Christ's name, "X" in place of the word Christ in Christmas as a shorthand form of the word. Although the early Christians understood that X stood for Christ's name, later Christians who did not understand the Greek language mistook "Xmas" as a sign of disrespect.
  • hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

Confession: They truly think they know it all. They do not express these things as opinions--but as facts.

Hey I never said I know it all but I know what is true. And usually the truth offends. It's like a conscience partly bald man asking, "How does my hair look?"

Ofcourse he'd like to hear, "oh you look good"

Inside the person is saying, "Good grief is he for real the bald baboon!!"

Hibie

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

If you want to be offended that people other than strict Christians celebrate Christmas then be offended. But really, isn't this a waste of precious time and energy? Live and let live and you will find your stress level will be greatly reduced. I am saying this in sincerity. I can't tell you how much more energy I have to devote to important issues now that I am not worried about god striking everyone dead over silly things like typing out x-mas or saying "good luck" and things like that.

Really, life is so much more enjoyable now that I can just concern myself with paying rent, getting to work on time, etc. I don't have my brain all mucked up all day with silly things that Jesus might not like. My Jesus is a very nice person who is probably having a good time chuckling over this thread as I type.

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

ithink:

Children Xing = Children CROSS-ing

X = Cross

That does not apply here. We are talking about something that is very serious.

Hibe

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Inside the person is saying, "Good grief is he for real the bald baboon!!"

Geez, now that is offensive. I think the guy is cute, he reminds me of Riff Raff in the Rocky Horror Picture show. I'd tell the guy, I think you're cute, I don't find baldness unappealing.

• Princess
    Princess

Hib, have you read ANY of the arguments presented that disagree with your point of view?

You seem to be the most unreasonable person I've ever come across. You so want the X to be "crossing out Jesus" that you won't reason on any of the evidence to the contrary. This doesn't have to be such a serious matter. Actual Christians disagree with you. Have you noticed that most of the Christians on this board have NOT joined in this thread to back you up?

Can you actually respond to my questions instead of ignoring me as you have for the last 11 pages?

You remind me of my cousin who used to stick her fingers in her ears and shout "I'M RIGHT, YOU'RE WRONG, I'M RIGHT, YOU'RE WRONG".

It's not very Christian of you.

Rachel

• rebel8
    rebel8
    What I really celebrate therefore is the resurrection of the Lord Jesus Christ and hence people know it as Easter which in fact is not. But to cut a long story short yes Easter is pagan but around that time Jesus' resurrection is celebrated.

So here are some questions then.

Do you decorate your house with eggs, chicks, or bunnies? How about a Christmas tree, Santas, or yule logs?

Do you exchange Easter baskets or Christmas presents?

Do you eat egg bread or other Easter-related foods?

Do you send Easter greeting cards? Do you use the word "Easter" to refer to a special day you celebrate?

Do you listen to holiday music that mentions the above items?

If the answer to any of those questions is yes, you are doing things that originated with pagans.

Now the question I'd ask is, who cares? Why does it matter what things symbolize to others if they symbolize something good to you?

PS--"crossing out Jesus" is something I see routinely on church billboards. is that where you got this idea from?

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

mrsjones

daunt

mulan

legolas

kazar

chrissy: (your name would be pronounced as zeeeeena)

daystar

All

The word 'X-mas' : Professing yourselves wise you become fools.

1. The X is not an English letter, but Greek. Then "mas" should be in greek too.

2. The "X" is the Greek letter "Chi" and is equal to a "CH" in English letters. Where does "R I S T" come in???? So you've got CHmas...Geez...What is CH???? chooo chooooo train????

3. We make a mockery out of Christmas when we don't practice the spirit and meaning of Christmas every day. We make a mockery out of Christmas when we focus on the word and not on the meaning. We make a mockery out of Christmas when we don't care enough to know the story as printed in the Bible. When we don't care enough to pass the story on correctly. When we don't care enough to make a connection between Christ and our gift giving. When we make Santa Claus the spirit of Christmas, leaving out any connection to Christ, the true spirit of Christmas.

Hibiscusfire

• John Doe
    John Doe

Have any of you ever seen a video of a dog chasing his tail?

• John Doe
    John Doe
    We make a mockery out of Christmas when we focus on the word and not on the meaning.

Your own words Hibiscus. . .

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit