Christmas not Xmas!

by hibiscusfire 405 Replies latest jw friends

• mrsjones5
  • mrsjones5
    mrsjones5

Hibis honey,

you need to learn to use your computer. there is so much information online as to the meaning of "X" in relation to Christianity.

Xmas Dictionary X·mas (kris'm?s, eks'm?s) pronunciation

n.

Christmas.

[From X , the Greek letter chi, first letter of Greek Khristos , Christ. See Christ.]

USAGE NOTE Xmas has been used for hundreds of years in religious writing, where the X represents a Greek chi, the first letter of ???st??, “Christ.” In this use it is parallel to other forms like Xtian, “Christian.” But people unaware of the Greek origin of this X often mistakenly interpret Xmas as an informal shortening pronounced (eks'm?s). Many therefore frown upon the term Xmas because it seems to them a commercial convenience that omits Christ from Christmas.

alt WordNet Note: click on a word meaning below to see its connections and related words.

The noun Xmas has one meaning:

Meaning #1: a Christian holiday celebrating the birth of Christ; a quarter day in England

• I quit!
    I quit!

Great thread. I thought I was going to hate it but it turned out to be fun. It got me in the Christmas mood enough to go in the closet and locate the frut cake that has been passed around here for generations. Now where is that eggnog?

Merry Christmas

Hibiscus

• Daunt
    Daunt

Hibs. From every thread I have ever seen you in I have found that you can't change or accept new information in conversations (On the internet at least). There has been pointed out NUMEROUS times that the X is just as valid as the word christ itself. Concede and accept the information or stay intellectually dishonest.

• nilfun
    nilfun

*massages temples*

• orangefatcat
    orangefatcat

Wow, could this be any more entertaining than watching a movie flick?

Love fruit cake. yummy

as for popcorn I am a fiend for it..

Orangefatcat.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    If you are celebrating Christmas do not X Christ out of it.

If you are celebrating Christmas do you know why???

Oh, good grief! What a silly thing to be offended by.

We celebrate it because the whole family does, because it's fun to decorate the house (Santas, no nativity stuff) and our friends celebrate it. We enjoy the whole process each year, picking out a photo for our Christmas cards, sending out cards, talking with our friends who live all over the world, sending them gifts..............sure we could send them another time, but Christmas is a good time to do it. Why not?

We don't believe in the divinity of Christ or any religion, but celebrate it like millions of atheists, and non Christians all over the world do. It's a huge holiday in Japan, where most are either Buddhist or Shinto, so leave this one alone. I think it's a subject you can't win with.

No offense intended.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    OMFG this is the most hilarious thread I have ever read! Everyone knows we pagans had this holiday first! You Xtians stole it from us in order to deceive us into converting to believe in your god. Aside from that even by your own Xtian writings you have had hard evidence to prove you are completely wrong in your assertion. As my hero bugs bunny would say "What a Maroon."

Sherry, that's just great. Thanks for the reminder. Hahhahahahha.

• the_classicist
    the_classicist

In other cultures and languages, "Christmas" is better known as "The Nativity of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ," or simply "the Nativity."

Likewise, "Easter" is known as "the Pasch" in other countries.

• Legolas
    Legolas
    OMFG this is the most hilarious thread I have ever read! Everyone knows we pagans had this holiday first! You Xtians stole it from us in order to deceive us into converting to believe in your god. Aside from that even by your own Xtian writings you have had hard evidence to prove you are completely wrong in your assertion. As my hero bugs bunny would say "What a Maroon."
    Sherry, that's just great. Thanks for the reminder. Hahhahahahha.

LMAO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit