Christmas not Xmas!

by hibiscusfire 405 Replies latest jw friends

• daystar
    daystar

Note how deftly hib ignores completely any evidence provided to the contrary of her position.

Hib, if an X may only be used to "cross out" Christ in Christmas, how do you explain St. Andrew's cross being an X on a blue field? Would you say that this is also a blasphemy?

Do you care to address any of the other points made by others' comments?

• Legolas
    Legolas

honesty:

Hibi, you have to remember that most on this board have been damaged beyond belief by the WatchTower/JW cult. Therefore, our perspective is based partly on the abusive relationship we have had with the Mother organisation. Just a thought for you to consider when your views are not taken very seriously.

Then don't you think it's better to know the truth than hide it?

sincerely ,

Hibiscusfire

What truth?

• I quit!
    I quit!

Can't we at least wait till November to discuss Christmas. Even most retailer have the decency not to start putting Christmas things out till late September.

• avishai
    avishai
    Easter is another topic I'm talking about Christmas and X'ing Christ out of it....and I'm very passionate about that!!!

Not at all... You've stated that it's blasphemous to mess with the name of a holiday based on christ, and that christ 's name is important IN that holiday...I assume you celebrate easter, and call it that, do you? Well, Easter is about the DEATH and SACRIFICE of Christ, far more important than his birth, Do you or do you not as a christian, celebrate easter, and refer to it as such? It's a simple question....

• kid-A
    kid-A

Come on now, turn that frown upside down!!! and Merry X-mas!!!!!

• hibiscusfire
    hibiscusfire

daystar:St. Andrew's Cross is an example of a cross on its side.

Or were they attempting to cross out Christ?

JESUS WAS NOT CRUCIFIED ON AN X-SHAPED CROSS. IT WAS UP RIGHT!!!

Andrew preached in Asia Minor, modern-day Turkey, and in Greece and was crucified on an “X”-shaped cross. It is known today as St. Andrew’s Cross.

• Purza
    Purza
    That is ridiculous man! Don't you know that a family that prays together stays together??

Nope, I don't know that nor do I believe that to be the case.

Purza

• Princess
    Princess

You guys are confusing hibiscus with the facts. Stop it already. She desperately wants that X to be crossing out Christ and you keep throwing the facts at her that the X actually MEANS Christ. What's a rabid christian to do with facts???? Geez.

Hey Odrade! How are ya?

• talesin
    talesin

Slightly off topic, what did ya'll get for Xmas last year?

GBL

I got a bottle of really good scotch, sunglasses, art supplies, a pair of CK jeans, cookies in a Xmas tin, some smoke, and a picture frame made of collage ... oh, and my computer revamped.

Thanks for asking, GBL!

t

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

Okay, if I post it again in a pretty colour, will you read it?

The Origin of "Xmas"

The abbreviation of "Xmas" for Christmas, long reviled by many conservative and Low Church Christians, is not nearly as blasphemous as many contend. Rather than a sacrilegious removal of "Christ" from Christmas and replacing him with an unknown, as some claim, the "Xmas" abbreviation has a long history in the church. In Greek, the language in which the New Testament was first written, "chi" ( c or C), which is almost identical to the Roman alphabet "X," is the first letter of the word "Christ" ( cristoV , or as it would be written in older manuscripts , CRISTOS ). In fact, the symbol of the fish in the early church came from using the first letter of several titles used for Jesus (Jesus Christ Son of God Savior) that when combined spelled the Greek word for fish ( icquV , ichthus).

In the early days of printing when typesetting was done by hand and was very tedious and expensive, abbreviations were common. The church began to use the abbreviation C for the word "Christ" in religious publications. From there, the abbreviation moved into general use in newspapers and other publications, and "Xmas" became an accepted way of printing "Christmas."

http://www.cresourcei.org/cyxmas.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit