Somethings just not true!

by defd 105 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

*** w93 8/1 pp. 18-19 Let No One Spoil Your Useful Habits ***

12 Paul would have recognized, though, the potential for "bad associations" in the workplace. We should too. Significantly, Paul quoted an attitude that prevailed among some: "Let us eat and drink, for tomorrow we are to die." (1 Corinthians 15:32) He immediately followed that with his fatherly counsel: "Do not be misled. Bad associations spoil useful habits." How might the workplace and the seeking of enjoyment be linked in creating a potential danger?

13 Christians want to be friendly with workmates, and many experiences bear out how effective this can be in opening the way for giving a witness. A fellow worker could misinterpret friendliness, however, as inviting association in order to have a good time together. He or she might extend a casual invitation to lunch, to a brief stop after work for a drink, or to some recreation on the weekend. This person might appear kind and clean-cut, and the invitation might seem innocent. Yet, Paul advises us: "Do not be misled."

14 Some Christians have been. They gradually developed a relaxed attitude toward association with workmates. Maybe it grew out of a common interest in a sport or a hobby. Or a non-Christian on the job might be exceptionally kind and thoughtful, which led to spending increasing amounts of time with that one, even preferring such company to that of some in the congregation. Then the association might lead to missing just one meeting. It could mean being out late one evening and breaking the pattern of sharing in the field ministry in the morning. It could result in watching a film or a video of a type that the Christian normally would refuse. ‘ Oh, that would never happen to me,’ we might think. But most of those who have been misled may first have responded that way. We need to ask ourselves, ‘Just how determined am I to apply Paul’s counsel?’
    I dont read them as an order to stay away from people who do not share my belief. I see the words: extended assoc. getting to close to those who do not cultivate christian princibles, they are WARNING of the dangers that exist. I see nothing wrong in that.

That's because you're still wrapped up in WTthink. That's the way they want you to see it. You've fallen into their trap. They don't order you to stay away, they try to make you feel guilty for associating with "bad" people. They want you to police yourself using their rules.

Instead of allowing you to use your own judgement and senses and decide for yourself who you think is good association or not, they warn against association with all non-JWs.

• vitty
    vitty

Yeah why does that happen on some pages !!!!!!!!!! Is there any way you can stop the exta wide posts please tell me.

Also UD did your wife "bonk" one or more brothers.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Aside from the rare statement in print, look at the behaviour. See how the ranks walk their talk. THAT is where you'll find your answer. It's where we found ours.

I was discouraged from having friends at school, but my parents understood the need for friendships and allowed some play outside of JW children. I was even counselled about one elder's daughter that I should watch out for her and be careful what I said and did around her. (They were right on that one!).

In general JW's look down their nose at the "world" with rare exception. In the workplace, they do their work, they are pleasant enough, but there is always some aloofness to their nature. Seldom will they be seen or "caught" in the company of the "worldy" for non-business.

It took me a long time to shift my own attitudes about superiority having been a dub to sub-human after I left, to find a healthy self-esteem, all because of the beliefs and attitudes about the "worldly" and those who leave the "Godly protection of the WTBTS". (quote from my dad - a long-time elder).

• upside/down
    upside/down
    Also UD did your wife "bonk" one or more brothers.

Sadly...yes. PM me if you want to know more...

The Dubs, you'll find, only make exceptions in their "association" if their is some sort of "gain" to be had...employer...study...future in-laws....to get a "deal"....

They are very greedy...self serving little rodents, on the whole...

u/d (of the so done with them class)

• undercover
    undercover
    In general JW's look down their nose at the "world" with rare exception. In the workplace, they do their work, they are pleasant enough, but there is always some aloofness to their nature. Seldom will they be seen or "caught" in the company of the "worldy" for non-business.

Good post. There are JWs where I work and your statement fits them to a tee. Good workers, well-liked as employees and workmates, but a lot of employees wonder why they are too good to go to lunch with them or come out for a drink or come to the xmas party.

I used to be like that. Now I look at the JWs and see just how snooty I must have looked when I declined to associate with workmates. I've been told more than a few times, that I seem to have lightened up and opened up.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    I read those differently from you. I dont read them as an order to stay away from people who do not share my belief. I see the words: extended assoc. getting to close to those who do not cultivate christian princibles, they are WARNING of the dangers that exist. I see nothing wrong in that.

I can see where you can tell yourself that. I know I did, when I was in. However in actual practising fact, association with non-Witnesses, i.e. worldly people, is discouraged and will in fact prevent any advancement in the organization. It will also likely lead to being "marked" in the congregation.

Since I have been out, I have found more people who live by Christian tenants (many of whom do not even claim to believe in Christianity) than I ever found in the organization.

With all due respect, it is disingenous to claim Jehovah's Witnesses do not discourage or disapprove of associating with non-Witnesses. Perhaps it would be more accurate to say that it does not violate your conscience to do so, in which case I applaud you. However the organization's official teachings do in fact strongly discourage believers from associating with worldly people.

It is also inaccurate to claim the Society does not teach that non-Witnesses will die in Armageddon. There have been numerous articles that say otherwise, as you have seen in this thread. Again, you may not agree with that thinking, and may personally feel otherwise (in which I again applaud your open mind), but the vast majority of Jehovah's Witnesses believe what has been written in the Watchtower and that is non-JWs will be killed by Jehovah at Armageddon. There is no need to apologize or be ashamed of the teaching. If you disagree with it, then accept that as part of who you are, but it is a real, valid teaching.

Chris

• love2Bworldly
    love2Bworldly

"Anyone who has had a JW knock on their door and not accepted the truth is condemned to death by their loving God Jehovah."

I remember this message being promoted on the platform at the KH many many times. The message from the BS society was that everyone would have a chance to listen to the JWs before Armageddon came. And I remember the repeated admonitions from JWs and the Watchtower magazine both, regarding bad association and how it was better to associate with 'brothers and sisters''--even people we didn't get along with, rather than the evil 'worldly people'.

Thanks Blondie and all you other posters who have posted quotes straight from the horse's mouth, the BS Society. Appreciate all the research you folks do at the drop of a hat.

After hearing all this wonderful quoted information from the Watchtower, I'll think I'll go barf in the bathroom.......uh oh I'm not going.......to......make......it......to......the.....bathroom...........(heaving uncontrollably after being reminded of all the lies and bullshit I was once subjected to every Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday.)

• AlanF
    AlanF

defd, you have major blinders on, for reasons only you can know. Various posters have shown proof from Watchtower publications that your basic premise is wrong -- the Watchtower Society strongly discourages JWs from associating with "worldly ones", period. Indeed, "bad association" is defined as "association with non-JWs". Any words you might find in late Watchtower or Awake! magazines to the effect that "wordly ones" are not necessarily bad association are nothing but doubletalk -- the Society is lying to you to cover its legal ass.

Bryan quoted from the article "Remaining Organized for Survival Into the Millennium" (w89 9/1 p. 19):

Only Jehovah’s Witnesses, those of the anointed remnant and the "great crowd," as a united organization under the protection of the Supreme Organizer, have any Scriptural hope of surviving the impending end of this doomed system dominated by Satan the Devil.

This doctrine has been taught since Rutherford's days, and it is still one of the major doctrines of JWs. It contradicts your claims.

Why have you avoided commenting on this quotation? What are you afraid of?

AlanF

• Pistoff
    Pistoff
    I dont know the official answer but my GUESS would be that ( mind you this is only my thought) if the WTBTS put the literature on the site for all easy access the brothers and sisters may say " Since it is on the web why go from door to door."

Can you give me a good rebuttal to that reasoning? Why should you spend you precious Saturday / Sunday time when those "right hearted" ones can just download the latest from God's spokesperson by email??

• Pistoff
    Pistoff

WT, August 15, 2005: page 16, paragraph 9:

"For this reason, Christians carefully choose those with whom they associate. "He that is walking with wise persons will become wise," wrote King Solomon, "but he that is having dealings with the stupid ones will fare badly." (Proverbs 13:20) May we 'walk' with those who reflect God's Glory. How pleasant it is to do so! As we gather together with our spiritual brothers and sisters at our meetings and other times, we find encouragement in their love, their faith, their joy, and their wisdom. Such wholesome strenghtens our determination to persevere in our ministry."

A reference such as defd alluded to might be in Aug 1, Aug 15, or Aug Awake, but I have not found them yet.

Still, what they really feel is in the above paragraph: "stupid ones" is the only term used for non witnesses here.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit