Somethings just not true!

by defd 105 Replies latest jw friends

• misspeaches
    misspeaches

I honestly believe that they publication may say that. But it is in order to deflect some of the bad press circulating about the cult that they break up relationships, families and friends.

I challenge you to start associating openly with non Jehovah's Witnesses and see how long it takes for the elders to turn up on your door with a Shepherding Call. By all means show them the article you refer to and listen carefully to their response.

We all know that it is a load of baloney!

• blondie
    blondie

7/22/05 Awake page 19,20, YPA Why Am I Drawn to the Wrong People?

Since all humans are made in God's image, it can be expected that some who do not know Jehovah will manifest fine qualities. As a result, you may find some people to be respectable, even likable, although they do not worship the true God. Should you completely shun such ones simply because they are not acquainted with Bible truths?

By no means. When the Bible counsels us to "work what is good toward all," that includes those who do not share your Christian beliefs. (Galatians 6:10) So being careful about choosing your close associates does not mean that you should act as if you were superior to others. (Proverbs 8:13; Galatians 6:3) Such conduct would reflect poorly on your Christian beliefs.

Some Christian youths, however, have gone further than being pleasant; they have formed close bonds with individuals who have little or not interest in spiritual things. Dan, mentioned earlier, had become a very good roller skater. The people he began to associate with regularly at the local rink were not Christians. Eventually, Dan joined his new "friends" iin engaging in immoral conduct and experimenting with drungs. Realizing that his lifestyle was no longer compatible with Christianity, Dan abandoned his ministry and stopped attending congregation meetings. It was several years before he gathered the strength to make the necessary changes to return to true worship.

I don't think this supports defd's premise that it is all right to associate socially with non-JWs.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    It's interesting that Carol submitted an extremely poignant post that addressed defd's question, a question he already knows the answer to, by the way, and his ONLY response to her is to complain about the forum's formatting. This gives you some idea of defd's level of intelligence, sensitivity and maturity.

Insightful point Willy. I'm glad you caught it. You're right. Carol's post was not only poignant but brutally honest with the reality of life in that little sect.

"What you do speaks so loud that I cannot hear what you say." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

• GetBusyLiving
    GetBusyLiving

:Dan, mentioned earlier, had become a very good roller skater.

mmmphffff!!! hahaha, sounds like Jarcaz wrote this one.

GBL

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Dan, mentioned earlier, had become a very good roller skater. The people he began to associate with regularly at the local rink were not Christians. Eventually, Dan joined his new "friends" iin engaging in immoral conduct and experimenting with drugs. Realizing that his lifestyle was no longer compatible with Christianity, Dan abandoned his ministry and stopped attending congregation meetings.

Do the dubs really believe this tripe?

• Es
    Es

Like many on here i was never really allowed to have any worldy friends, and even just last year after i had faded my father commented on my friends and said i should get rid of them as they are never going to encourage me to go back to being a JW. es

• dmouse
    dmouse
    I don't think this supports defd's premise that it is all right to associate socially with non-JWs.

I completely agree Blondie. If anything, this article reinforces the 'no worldy friends' stand, but just warns that there's no need to be unpleasant about it.

• undercover
    undercover
    Since all humans are made in God's image, it can be expected that some who do not know Jehovah will manifest fine qualities. As a result, you may find some people to be respectable, even likable, although they do not worship the true God. Should you completely shun such ones simply because they are not acquainted with Bible truths?

Why does this question even need to be asked? Because for decades the WTS has painted non-JWs as evil and doomed for destruction and many JWs go to extremes in avoiding worldly people.

When the Bible counsels us to "work what is good toward all," that includes those who do not share your Christian beliefs. (Galatians 6:10) So being careful about choosing your close associates does not mean that you should act as if you were superior to others. (Proverbs 8:13; Galatians 6:3) Such conduct would reflect poorly on your Christian beliefs.

They actually have to counsel the JWs to not act superior to non-JWs. Years and years of the WTS telling JWs that only they have the truth, that only they have God's favor, that only they will survive Armageddon and then you wonder why they feel superior?

Some Christian youths, however, have gone further than being pleasant; they have formed close bonds with individuals who have little or not interest in spiritual things. Dan, mentioned earlier, had become a very good roller skater. The people he began to associate with regularly at the local rink were not Christians. Eventually, Dan joined his new "friends" iin engaging in immoral conduct and experimenting with drungs. Realizing that his lifestyle was no longer compatible with Christianity, Dan abandoned his ministry and stopped attending congregation meetings. It was several years before he gathered the strength to make the necessary changes to return to true worship.

Here's the crux of the whole matter: Don't become friends with non-JWs. They set you up with the "be nice to everyone" and the "don't act superior" talk so as to give an impression of being fair and balanced and then they hit you with the "however". This is the point that really matters. Don't become friends with outsiders. They even give a scary little illustration of someone who fell into drug use all because he made friends with people at a skating rink. "The horror! We can't let ourselves get drawn into this kind of behavior. We must avoid worldly people, even at the skating rink".

I find it interesting that a skating rink is mentioned in this "experience". For years, JWs in many areas of the US have had one night a week set aside for skating, to let the JW kids have a little fun, to relax. Of course, this raised the ire of many a stuffed shirt in the elder ranks and at Bethel. So they were discouraged and in some places outright banned. Now you have, in print, underhanded counsel that skating rinks are bad.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    For years, JWs in many areas of the US have had one night a week set aside for skating, to let the JW kids have a little fun, to relax. Of course, this raised the ire of many a stuffed shirt in the elder ranks and at Bethel. So they were discouraged and in some places outright banned. Now you have, in print, underhanded counsel that skating rinks are bad.

Same thing here in East TN. Now all the young dubs go to Cotton-Eyed Joe's where they really get some wholesome association with all types of wordly misfits.

• defd
    defd
    When the Bible counsels us to "work what is good toward all," that includes those who do not share your Christian beliefs. (Galatians 6:10) So being careful about choosing your close associates does not mean that you should act as if you were superior to others. (Proverbs 8:13; Galatians 6:3) Such conduct would reflect poorly on your Christian beliefs.

Whats wrong with that undercover? They are telling us NOT to be that way. That is great guidence. Just because alot of Witness do not follow that guidence it is not the fault of the Slave.

Some Christian youths, however, have gone further than being pleasant; they have formed close bonds with individuals who have little or not interest in spiritual things. ; Dan, mentioned earlier, had become a very good roller skater. ; The people he began to associate with regularly at the local rink were not Christians. ; Eventually, Dan joined his new "friends" iin engaging in immoral conduct and experimenting with drungs. ; Realizing that his lifestyle was no longer compatible with Christianity, Dan abandoned his ministry and stopped attending congregation meetings. ; It was several years before he gathered the strength to make the necessary changes to return to true worship.

What wrong with this undercover? It is a warning from the bible. Do not parents warn there own kids about the friends they make. Would you allow your son or daughter to hang out with someone who did drugs and was a gang member and ran the streets?, all the things we teach our children not to do. That is all the Slave is doing WARNING us of the dangers that exist, no different!

Since all humans are made in God's image, it can be expected that some who do not know Jehovah will manifest fine qualities. ; As a result, you may find some people to be respectable, even likable, although they do not worship the true God. ; Should you completely shun such ones simply because they are not acquainted with Bible truths?
    What is wrong with this. They are trying to wake some up here. If you finished the thought instead of cutting it off the answer would be no.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit