Prank call to Governing Body member Anthony Morris III gets through

by Watchtower-Free 143 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• brandnew
    brandnew
    O M ?  .... THAT CALL WAS CLASSIC ! ! ! !  ROCK ON CEDARS ! ! ! !
  • campaign of hate
    campaign of hate

A bit silly really, enforces into the minds of JWs we haven't go anything better to do.

Seriously? tight pants? come on. Think of something a bit more creative.

How about pretending to be a bethelite with sincere questions about so called "safeguarding" topics. Doesn't take much imagination really.

• Simon
    Simon
    Imagine them taking a dump

Ha, me too - everyone has the trots at some point in their life.

I think he would have been far more likely to be drawn in to a discussion about a more important doctrine or change or organizational matter than tight pants - a dead giveaway that it was a prank call.

If all you are going to do is tell them a home-truth and have the other person hang up then IMO it would have been better to pick shunning and the hurt that it causes people OR the numerous child abuse cases as the issue. Maybe something like:

"Hi Borther Morris, so many of us have been troubled lately by all these reports of Child Abuse within the organization - I was contacted by the media about it and caught off-guard so I didn't know what to say to them. They wanted to know what we're doing about it ... what should I tell them?"

I expect he'd say to direct them to the legal dept or media relations so "but that feels to me like a very corporate response and I was hoping we could demonstrate that we're truly caring for the members of the congregations, is there anyone actively working on this issue internally that you can directly me to? BTW, are you aware of the cases I'm talking about? Does that sort of issue and decision making reach up to you guys?"

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

I am reading a lot of beating on Cedars for this and here are my thoughts in his defense:

1. He did not think he would actually, ever get through. I mean common, if you called Bethel asking to speak to a GB member, even if you were told a possible work around, did you ever think you would get through?

a. Because of point one I doubt he had much to prepared because he doubted it would ever happen.

2. I think he was nervous and taken off guard that he actually picked up. I don't care what you believe, if you speak to anyone in a higher position you're going to be taken off guard and your nerves shaken. 

Yes he could have asked better questions and raised bigger issue but again he never expected anyone to actually pick up. 

I thought it was funny as anything! He pranked a GB member! How cool is that? 

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Giordano - "Have the Mormons become a strong influence on the Society...?"

Wouldn't blame 'em.

The LDS does seem to have a better handle on what they're doing.

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul

I like how Anthony Morris tried to gather as much information as possible. Man, location, area calling from etc...

You can totally see his old elder/CO side coming out ready to form a JC immediately. 

• Simon
    Simon
    He did not think he would actually, ever get through

He took the trouble to set the camera up and record it so wouldn't it be reasonable to assume that he did?

I think he was nervous and taken off guard that he actually picked up

That's why you plan what you are going to say / have some sort of script / put some thought into it before hand. I don't know that it's fair to suggest the person doing the dialling would be taken off-guard compared to the person being called.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Simon said

"He took the trouble to set the camera up and record it. That would indicate that he did."

Exactly. He though there was at least an outside chance he would get through.

• Jonathan Drake
    Jonathan Drake
    He did not think he would actually, ever get through

As far as this goes, I grow tired of reading it. If you are passionate about something then you will not blow your chance just because it surprises you. If you are fixated on Anthony Morris and his outrageous comments (which cedars is), if you've run through your mind what you'd like to say to him and even made videos about it (which cedars has), then regardless of whether it surprised you that he answered or not you'd have been able to articulate your passionate feelings well and without challenge. 

The truth is that cedars didn't care if he got through, which is why he was unprepared for the possibility. And instead of addressing real issues, he ignored the likes of Candace Conti, the scandal of draining bank accounts, and various other real important matters. He used this only has a stunt for attention to himself specifically because he views the real important matters as inferior to his own ideas, his own battles, and his own ego. That's very clearly who he is, and this proves it if nothing else about his behavior thus far has been sufficient.

• thedepressedsoul
    thedepressedsoul
    I'll tell you what, you guys get a contact, figure out how to get in touch with him and you can bring up all your scripted points. 

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit