Studying with JWs - Confused, Conflicted ...

by RebelliousSpirit 278 Replies latest members private

• RebelliousSpirit
    RebelliousSpirit
    It won't be long before you start to hear statements like "you must choose to either serve Jehovah or Satan" or "don't you want to be with your family in paradise?"

I have heard similar things already. And believe me, it doesn't thrill me and I see it as manipulation, even if they genuinely believe as such. My husband thinks I am overly paranoid.

The bad news is, since your husband is, he will be pressured from now on regarding you, the children, and what he's doing as the head of the house to bring you into the fold.

I know, and I definitely do not want him "punished" (in any way) for my actions. He does not own me, he has never even tried to. I have a very independent spirit. And while I was perfectly willing to accept him as the spiritual head of household, he is not head of anything else. And he knows it too. LOL!

It would be a big mistake on their part to give him a hard time about me or our children.

• RebelliousSpirit
    RebelliousSpirit

Ok, important question ... how many here think I should meet with my Priest and tell him what's going on?

I haven't met with him since I got married 5+ years ago - but he's a nice guy, I like him, and I wouldn't be bothered talking to him if needed.

Quick response appreciated!

• Seeking Knowledge
    Seeking Knowledge

Meet with your priest!!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Ok, important question ... how many here think I should meet with my Priest and tell him what's going on?

I haven't met with him since I got married 5+ years ago - but he's a nice guy, I like him, and I wouldn't be bothered talking to him if needed.

I can't say that it'd be harmful. Are you prepared for what he might say?

• Odrade
    Odrade

Be prepared for him to react very strongly to your having gotten involved with JWs, but once he gets past that, I think it could be very helpful. Just make sure he knows you need help from a spiritual advisor dealing with the emotional repercussions, and not necessarily a readjustment to your faith. Unlike JW ministers, priests and many other religious leaders are also trained counselors, which is why I personally think it could be helpful.

• barry
    barry

Gday Rebellious Spirit,

I like youre name and Ive been reading this for a while but without comment. My wife is a catholic Im An SDA but we have never had any problems with religion. Our kids were baptised Catholic and my elder dad came and was supportive at the baptism.My wife and kids go mainly to the SDA church and the wife even takes communion there.

Im sure things can be worked out but that takes give and take on both sides and it seems to me the JW side is more on the take.

Go and see youre Priest he is trained to deal with situations people have and any input is helpful. Barry

• Seeking Knowledge
    Seeking Knowledge

and to further clarify, meet with him only for YOUR sake. Clearly you are on the fence on this one, and clearly you are looking for the right answer for you. Talking to your priest may help you get another perspective. Of course he won't tell you "go for it, sounds like fun" but you've been able to keep your mind open on the JW's another view might help IMHO.

• RebelliousSpirit
    RebelliousSpirit

Well he's asked me not to relate anything else to him that I've "heard" because it's stressing him out. He's asked me not to talk to our friends or my family about it so as not to inadvertantly influence them or make him "public enemy #1".

I can't talk to my in-laws because I don't want to upset or alienate them. And I can't talk to the people we study with or I risk bringing reproach on my husband.

Now what? I'm a conflicted, confused mess and I can't talk to anyone about it!

::cry::

• beebee
    beebee

Can you study the bible through your parish? If not it should be very easy to find study groups at other churches that would welcome you and YOUR QUESTIONS with open arms.

An outsiders view: I have reached this conclusion about religion in general - I believe in G-d, but all religions are man-made, not devine. If there is a judgement day it seems logical to me I will be judged by my ACTIONS, not which church I went to, how often I went, etc. I will be judged by the effort I put into raising my children to be happy, productive and contributing members of society, and by the honesty, fairness and lovingly way I treat other people.

There are so many ways one can be closer to G-d- volunteer work for one. Surely feeding the poor or teaching a child to read, or otherwise giving of one's self brings me closer. These values ARE espoused in the bible.

Humans are imperfect without exception. Surely we would not have been created that way if perfection were devinely expected, let alone demanded, of us. All these differences between people surely must have been part of the plan and it adds richness and color to our world. I, for one, embrace this. You have the right to choose your religion and your path to G-d.

Studying the bible can make you a biblical scholar but I do not feel it bring's one closer. Living an honest and generous life does.

Why limit your generosity to a "selected elite" rather than any who cross your path that are in need???

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

RS I went for 13 years with my wife a JW while I was not. It's not easy, nor is it the best solution, but it can work. It takes both sides. I'm saying this as I don't want you to feel hopeless.

You need someone outside the JW world to talk to. Your priest is an excellent idea.

Hang in there.

Chris

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit