Studying with JWs - Confused, Conflicted ...

by RebelliousSpirit 278 Replies latest members private

• Odrade
    Odrade

you want to talk to me? PM me your number. I know it's not the same, and I'm sorry you're going through this. Just keep reminding yourself that their primary motivator for behaving this way is fear. They are fearful that you have been taken in by apostates, and they have an irrational fear that apostate words are somehow more persuasive than normal. They are afraid if they listen to you, these apostate "magic" words will confuse them and they will lose their faith.

Their minds cannot make the leap that the reason these arguments might be so persuasive is that their beliefs are really a house of cards on a shaky card table. Remember that anger and hostility often is a mask for fear.

O

• RebelliousSpirit
    RebelliousSpirit
    you want to talk to me? PM me your number. I know it's not the same, and I'm sorry you're going through this. Just keep reminding yourself that their primary motivator for behaving this way is fear. They are fearful that you have been taken in by apostates, and they have an irrational fear that apostate words are somehow more persuasive than normal. They are afraid if they listen to you, these apostate "magic" words will confuse them and they will lose their faith.

He seems to be forgetting that I think for myself. He thinks being here has "influenced" me negatively ... whereas before I was just unsure, he says now I am practically an "activist" against the truth. Not true at all. Do you all think that's how I've been behaving?? I don't. I am just being more vocal than before about how I have been feeling all along. ::sigh::

I might take you up on your offer. I'm running out of options here and it's very lonely.

• jgnat
    jgnat

As the non-JW wife of a JW man, I know exactly what you mean about having nobody to talk to. As you have guessed, any dissenting opinion is mildly but thoroughly suppressed. They don't want to hear it. This board is my lifeline. Here is where I spill what I really feel. Even co-workers can't help. They think the whole JW thing is whacked anyways, and the snippets I do tell them sound too outrageous to be true. Also, with outsiders, I have to correct the misconceptions. JW's do not sacrifice then eat their young, for instance.

The top reason I love this board? I have a VOICE.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Rebellious Spirit,

I'm so sorry you're going through this. Have you ever seen the movie The Matrix? Remember where Neo has the choice to take the red or blue pill? That's VERY similar to what we experience once we learn the truth about The Truth?. Once you realize what the truth truly is (not the truth), you simply cannot go back to being ignorant. You know too much. Your perspective changes like it never has before and with that your LIFE changes. It's freeing, but at the same time you don't really experience emotions of freedom until you've been through hell. You my dear, have taken the pill that shows you truth. It will make a drastic change in your life and all your relationships.

We are here for you. We've all taken the pill too. Which is why we're here. You can always come here for safety and a place to voice your heart. You can call some of us too. Check your PM.

Andi

• Odrade
    Odrade

I don't think anyone here thinks you've become an "activist." You had misgivings, or you wouldn't have been here on this DB in the first place. When you found out the half-truths and manipulations in the teachings you had accepted, you're natural (and normal) impulse is to want to talk it over with the ones you love. In a normal situation, that is what our loved ones should be there for-- to help us process these kinds of shocks to our system.

But they can't look at it that way.

When I was first becoming absent from the meetings, I still believed it was the "truth," but I had vague misgivings, and hurt feelings, not to mention that feeling in the pit of my stomach that things weren't quite right. My younger brother, who is quite devout, called me one day to "help" me. He wanted to know if I still considered myself a JW, and if I still accepted the direction of the F&DS. (At the time I didn't know it, but these are two of the questions elders are taught to ask to find out if a person should be da'd.) As I said, at the time, I still believed JWs had the only "truth," and I answered in the affirmative.

He then went on to tell me that people have doubts, but that the only way to deal with them is like a garden, you must get in there and rip out the weeds when they are still tiny. They cannot be allowed to grow by letting them remain for any length of time. Just rip them out as fast as they pop up. I believe this is exactly what they are doing. You remember the illustrations in the literature about action when presented with other written materials that conflict with JW beliefs? They are not even to look at them-- not even the cover. They have an automatic tune out mechanism, that is cultivated by all the repetition and simplicity. Anything that conflicts with their beliefs is instantly to be dismissed, before they have even a chance to examine it, much less critically.

It's painful for family members who have awakened critical thinking to see their loved ones stuck in this mode of being completely blinkered. From their perspective, it's painful to see you being "deceived" by Satan. But they are also fearful that you will now be a tool Satan will use against them due to their love for you.

I know it hurts. Most of us have been there, many of us still are.

• RebelliousSpirit
    RebelliousSpirit

A big thank you to all who have PM'd me. I appreciate it so much. Perhaps when I can let go of some of the fear associated with being "found out" as a member of this board (my husband would have hell to pay if the elders knew, don't you think?) ... I will take you up on your kind offers. In the meantime, I will keep posting and PM'ing - it helps a lot.

And yes I know I've disclosed a lot of information that could technically "give me away" - but really only to my husband, who already knows I post here. No one else knows us well enough yet to make the association. I hope. ::sigh::

• codeblue
    codeblue

RebelliousSpirit: Go talk to your priest!!! As another posted, your priest, unlike the JW elders or ministerial servants, are trained in "counseling".

I have been thru some very distressful times in my life where the elders would say the most horrific things or keep quoting one scripture......there were CLUELESS!!!!!

I will pm you with more info when I have more time.

Meanwhile, you had these doubts BEFORE coming to this site.......I would take that as a warning sign: remember "gut reactions" hold a lot of meaning...

Why won't your study conductor speak to you??? That is just plain rude, and unChrisitan and UNloving....That is an outright "clue" that something is wrong with this group and you aren't even baptized!!!

If the JW's are getting "tired" of you now and your aren't baptized, just think of what is will be like when you are baptized and need help or appear to them as "spiritually weak"? Take it from my experiences and from many other faithful Chrisitan people that post here....

I really feel for you now...I have to fade or my family won't have anything to do with me...When I first dealt with that possiblity I was in major depression and anxiety.

As Blondie stated: You can Check out but you can never LEAVE.....(the after affects of leaving the "cult" continue forever unless your family ceases to be active JW's)

Keep doing your research and journaling...

sending you many hugs today,

CodeBlue

• Odrade
    Odrade

I think if the elders found out you were frequenting an "apostate" site they would certainly "encourage" your husband to get rid of the internet connection. Also, I would imagine they'd have a talk with him about the "spiritual endangerment" you now pose. In their eyes it would be right for him to view you as an enemy in his own household.

36 Indeed, a man?s enemies will be persons of his own household. -- Mt 10:36

BUT... I don't think most people are concerned with studies and former sisters who post on this site. Anyone lurking here for the most part is looking for former and current elders and MS who might be disclosing confidential information. I've been posting for a year and a half. I've disclosed massive amounts of personal information here. I'm easily identified, and my family is fairly well known in this area, as well as at Headquarters. (I am not particularly wellknown personally- hehe) Anyways, my sis-in-law, who is having some serious misgivings, found her way to this site, and ID'd me shortly after she hit the site, so it can happen, but I find it interesting that in all the time I've been here, she's the only one. Remember also the sheer volume of posts here, and what a witch-hunter would be looking for... probably not you, so be careful, but don't add this worry to the others you have right now.

• RebelliousSpirit
    RebelliousSpirit
    I think if the elders found out you were frequenting an "apostate" site they would certainly "encourage" your husband to get rid of the internet connection. Also, I would imagine they'd have a talk with him about the "spiritual endangerment" you now pose. In their eyes it would be right for him to view you as an enemy in his own household.

Oh that pisses me off! I mean, I know it to be true, and it really pisses me off!

Let them try to convince him that I am the enemy here. As I said before, I can play the "game" better than they can - and it calls to mind a quote from The Rock ...

JUST BRING IT!

Sorry, I'm having "one of those days".

• RebelliousSpirit
    RebelliousSpirit
    I really feel for you now...I have to fade or my family won't have anything to do with me...When I first dealt with that possiblity I was in major depression and anxiety.

Ok... so how does this "fading" work? I do have a close friend who is an "inactive" JW, has been for years. But how does it work without them DF or DA you?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit