talesin

L_T

I pick # 2 .

• mouthy
    mouthy

Just what is say's

• seeitallclearlynow
    seeitallclearlynow

When I realized that Jehovah's Witnesses were not God's People and the Watchtower did not teach "The Truth" I still needed to un-learn the religious falsehoods I had learned from them and I needed to replace them with satisfying "answers." So after I had studied many hours a day for months, I was so sure it was not wrong to leave that Organization, and all the mental confusion and heart conflict just melted away - and I felt that I could finally "see it all clearly now."

Being inexperienced on computers, and never being able to have a "login" at work with any spaces, and still having no real sense of self so as to be able to "nickname" myself, I thought I would just use the phrase you see here.

I don't feel I see everything clearly - it was just the epiphany that the so-called "Truth" was actually all a big hoax, or lie, that I was referring to.

• Ginosko
    Ginosko

Knowledge by experience en Greek Koini

• Flash
    Flash

I've chosen as my alias (the) Flash (fastest man alive) because of how he is portrayed in the cartoon The Justice League. He is spontaneous, carefree and outspoken, completely genuine. Things we are discouraged being as Witnesses.

Not so long ago Wolverine from the X-Men would have fit better OMmmmm

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Very interesting thread, Dede! I'm enjoying all this so much!!!

I took my "name" when I signed onto H2O when I was still a JW. I tried 10-11 names that had already been taken (guess I'm not too imaginative as some of YOU are-LOL!) and the TV had been messing up from the Sunspot activity that day...........I typed in that name-it wasn't taken-and there I was!!!

After finding out all that the WTS was hiding, I guess that "Sunspot" really fit me after all!!!

hugs,

Annie

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

Winston Smith is the protagonist from George Orwell's masterpiece, 1984. A MUST READ for any JW or exiting JW!

The similarities between the world Winston Smith lives in and the WatchTower world is eerily similar. I read it about half a year before my Awake!?ening to the truth about the Troof in the summer of 2003. I was still an active JW when I started posting here, but I knew before coming to the Internet that I would be DF?f or I would DA myself. I couldn?t stay in the control of the WTS.

I picked Winston Smith because his path and awakening seemed very similar to mine. I only wanted to avoid his eventual demise; which was to be brainwashed and released back into society as a working drone for Big Brother.

~~~

You can read more about this in the next post. Otherwise, you can skip it if it's too long for you

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

'cont...

I picked Winston Smith because his path and awakening seemed very similar to mine. I only wanted to avoid his eventual demise; which was to be brainwashed and released back into society as a working drone for Big Brother.

Winston Smith lives in a high-control society run by Big Brother, ala the Governing Body. Any dissenting citizens are tortured and/or killed, like JC?s and DF/DA?ing [minus the physical death, but spiritual and emotional death surely]. The workplace he is at is called the ?Ministry of Truth?. The name is completely contrary to what the purpose of the ?Ministry of Truth? is, which is to falsify all past records of the ruling party ?Insog?, similar to how the WTS whitewashes their own past history and then calling it ?New Light??.

The language of the ruling party Insog is called ?Newspeak?, a loaded language that is designed to remove all words that describe any unwanted ideas. It also reduces the number of words in the vocabulary to limit the range of ideas that a citizen can be expressed.

The WTS is has a similar MO. For instance, an undesirable word like ?shunned? is transformed into the harmless sounding word ?disfellowship?, or lack or fellowship. But it is really shunning. ?Disassociate? means shunned as well, only the person who is DA?d is the one who shunned the WTS first, which is even more heinous. A ?privilege? is really additional work. JW?s don?t have ?parties? (too much fun), they have ?get-togethers?. JW?s are not ?following men?, but rather, the ?Governing Body? whom are worshipped like God, just like Big Brother is. There are tons of loaded words in the WTS that mean nothing elsewhere except within the JW cult: Kingdom Hall, Field Service, the Family Study, Regular / Auxiliary Pioneer.

In 1984, the government uses Doublethink to control people by their own thoughts. Doublethink is defined as, ?to hold two completely contradictory beliefs in one's mind simultaneously, and accept both of them.? As a JW, we all did this on many different levels. A good example of Doublethink by JW?s is when someone at the door asks if JW?s believe if just JW?s will survive Armageddon, and we say no one knows but Jehovah, and we believed that as we said it. But the reality is that as we sat in the Kingdom Hall we would judge who would survive Armageddon and who would not based on how many hours they get in and how frequently they would comment. The honest answer is that a person outside the WTS doesn?t have a prayer to survive Armageddon, but a JW can use Doublethink believe both contradictory possibilities!

In 1984, the citizens can be guilty of ?Thoughtcrime?, which is to just consider any thought that is not in line with the principles of Ingsoc. As a JW, any doubts about the Governing Body?s teachings are labeled as apostasy!

Insog is continually at war, not to win, but to keep the citizens busy and have a common enemy. Similarly, the preaching work does not do as much good for converting and it does to keep the R&F busy and give JW?s a visible sign that they are doing something against Satan and his world, the common enemy.

Winston Smith is lost in the world of Big Brother, and needs to define himself. He does so privately at first because to do it publicly would be suicide, just like it would be for any JW. But as his self-discovery moves from private to a more public arena, he eventually gets turned in to the Thought Police by someone he trusted, just as I got caught by the elders because I was turned in by someone whom I trusted.

Winston achieves intellectual freedom just as I achieved freedom from the fear of the Governing Body and their rules, but Winston knew that his physical capture is inevitable just as I knew I would eventually be caught and dealt with by the elders.

Eventually Winston meets an undesirable end. I won?t give it away in case any here haven?t read it yet.

I wanted to avoid those final chapters of Winston?s life, so I went to five elder meetings lasting 1.5 ? 2 hours a pop. But then I cut the last meeting short at the ten-minute mark when I handed my eight page letter of DA personally to the elders.

I walked out with freedom as they failed to brainwash me and lever what I feared the most against me.

That was December 5, 2003, and then announced December 11, 2003! I mailed out 20+ copies of my eight page DA letter to people in the surrounding congregations before the DA announcement was made. The elders didn?t care for me not playing by their rules.

...Well, if you read this far, then my hat is off to you

• Love_Truth
    Love_Truth

Winston,

"1984" was required reading in my High School. I wrote many essays on it and I find it's contents widely applicable, not just to JWs. In our day and age, it is probably most applicable to Law Enforcement in all forms, with all forms of media, Cell phones, Internet, GPS, all playing a role in the "Big Brother" scenario.

Cheers,

Love_Truth

• talesin
    talesin

Winston

Once again, a shared experience with someone on this board. For a long time, I have felt this book paralleled the WTS.

It was required reading in my junior high school. It struck a chord in me at that time, I couldn't put it down. It wasn't till I was out of the bOrg for years, and I revisited the story through watching the movie, that I realized what that chord was.

Thanks for reminding me of this.

tal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit