What does your user name here mean?

by LyinEyes 130 Replies latest jw friends

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I very much realized the similarties of 1984 and Bethel life when I was in Bethel in 1987-1988. I saw the movie in 1984 with John Hurt. I remember one morning at "morning worship" while we were eating that out of the TV monitors numbers were being fed to us of expansion in other countries and the number of magazines placed and it all occured to me the propaganda machine at Brooklyn and its sole job of continually fooling the publishers that we were at war with Oceania!

I remember telling this to my Mother and her saying "stop saying that"!

I also recall how we all walked from one building to the next all wearing the same bland slacks, shirts and ties rushing to our meaningless assignments waiting for the next bell or scheduled activity of the day.

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

I find it's contents widely applicable, not just to JWs.

Loves_Truth

Very true!

and I revisited the story through watching the movie

tal

How is the movie? I want to rent it sometime. Is it as good as the book?

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

I saw the movie in 1984 with John Hurt. I remember one morning at "morning worship" while we were eating that out of the TV monitors numbers were being fed to us of expansion in other countries and the number of magazines placed and it all occured to me the propaganda machine at Brooklyn and its sole job of continually fooling the publishers that we were at war with Oceania!

got my forty homey?

That is a disturbing comparison!

So thought the movie was good?

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I thought the movie was great. One of my top 25 favs. It was the last movie some actor married to Elizebeth Taylor made, forgot his name. Also the mean fire chief from Farhenheit 451 played the double agent in it.

Lots of nudity and scary parts, but I think the soundtrack was great.

• talesin
    talesin

Winston

I really enjoyed the movie. John Hurt plays you :)

Very similar in look to the film adaptation of Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale" (another story that bears similarities to JWs).

And no, I would say the book is better, but then I usually prefer the book anyway.

Rent and enjoy!

Btw, I didn't say so in my last post, but great choice for an alias.

tal

• ApagaLaLuz
    ApagaLaLuz

Winston.... your name is GREAT!!!! I just bought that movie a couple of days ago.

My name is plain and simple..... I drive Chevrolets and I have and like tattoos......

It's the same as my email, and the name I use on every other board I post on. I get confused easily and it's hard to keep them straight if I had more than one name. Problem is, most of the time people think I'm a man

• Special K
    Special K

My husband has referred to me as "Special K" since forever. so i used it for my name on here.

Special K

• Undecided
    Undecided

Undecided about God, truth, death, time, the universe, evolution, should I pay my bills or buy more beer.

Ken P.

• aunthill
    aunthill

When I finally decided to join the board (and stop lurking), I thought and thought, and landed on the vision of dubs piling into the kingdumb hall, and then piling out again for service, it reminded me of an anthill - thus Aunthill.

• RevMalk
    RevMalk

Mine is a mix between Rev. Martin Luther King Jr. and Malcolm X.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit