What's the most ridiculous thing you were ever counselled on?

by micheal 142 Replies latest jw friends

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Bottom line I could say everything I (or most all of the rest of us) got counselled on was ridiculous.

For all of us a lot of the counseling had one thing in common. Someone went to the elders and complained. Now if that ain't one of the big signs of a cult I don't know what is. In the regular articles in the WT and KM about Judicial Procedure (tm) they always refer to what Jesus said, go to your brother [sister] first. Now honestly, how many times does that actually happen? More often than not, someone's going straight to the elders. Call that what you want but that's the unwritten rule. They don't expect anyone to follow what Jesus said, they want informants running right to the elders at the slightest infraction.

There were far too many times when I was called into the back room because "someone said...." Sometimes it was even the case of people eavesdropping on my conversations in the hall and then embellishing what was said, or making things up and lying altogether.

What really takes the prize for me is what happened to my brother a few years ago. Matt met some chick from Savannah and they hit it off at some convention. They ended up bumpin' uglies. Well she had a conscience attack and went to her elders about it. Get this, she didn't even know his last name! So her elders had to do some serious detective work to find Matt. Now when the incident happened he was already an adult and living on his own. When they finally did track him down, oh this still makes me so mad. Instead of approaching him, they called his body of elders and his body of elders called our parents first and told them all about it and made them contact him about the committee meeting.

Again, is that not cultish behavior? And of course our folks showed their blind loyalty to the cult and turned him in.

Mike.

• Winston Smith :>D
    Winston Smith :>D

I'm sitting there getting diet advice from an elder whose at least 50 pounds overweight, and another one whose about 60 years old and as in touch with this sort of problem as a garden snail.

Blacksheep

SanFranJim, that amazes me! The elders coming to these off the wall conclusions about how you were profaning jehover’s al-f’ing-mighty name because your name was in an interview. No picture or anything else. And you’re right, that dumb be-yoch elder’s wife should have been cold cocked for even reading such a sacrilegious newspaper article about the Rocky Horror Show. And then to have the whole JC fast tracked to announce it between the two public meetings on Sunday. WTF?

For all of us a lot of the counseling had one thing in common. Someone went to the elders and complained.

Bendrr

Jeesh, now that you mention it, you’re right!

That time, yep. And yes. Oh and that time, yes also.

In the regular articles in the WT and KM about Judicial Procedure (tm) they always refer to what Jesus said, go to your brother [sister] first.

Bendrr

It never happened with me. I got dragged into the ‘back room’ with the elders almost once or twice a year for a while there, and never did any of those spineless, mind-numbed robots ever approach me first. They completely ignored Jesus’, and more importantly, the WTS direction.

Like shotgun said, I guess they were all right about me, cause look at me now!

Good stories everyone!

Winston.

• SpunkyChick
    SpunkyChick
    I was given public reproof for going to see The Rocky Horror Picture Show in the theater.

SanFranJim - What did you think of RH? I LOVED it and performed with the cast of Divine Decadence in Las Vegas for two years, after I'd started to drift out of the borg.

Ya gotta luv it!

• Dawn
    Dawn

If they would spend 1/2 as much time and effort actually SHEPHERDING as they do ABUSING the sheep ... just think how much more successful that organization would be.

gag......

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranJim - What did you think of RH?

I've seen Rocky Horror countless times. I love going to the theater with my bag of rice, party hat, etc.

I even saw it in a drive-in theater once! (Had to go to the car wash immediately afterward to wash off the champagne, toast crumbs, rice.....)

Now that it's being aired on Comedy Central, I wonder if JW kids are still being reproved for watching it on TV?

• sens
    sens
    Judicial meeting because I held the child of a disfellowshipped couple at an assembly...

Hell....

• Brummie
    Brummie

I was told off for my colloquialism.

An elder gave a talk on sounding our "hs" and speaking correctly. After the meeting I went into the library to take out a book (back in the days you could lend em) and I shouted across the room "the signing out book aye up ere"....so it led to me getting counselled. I wasnt allowed to speak like that. Everyone else in the neighborhood apart from JWs spoke like that.

Brummie

• Gadget
    Gadget
    I was counselled for knocking back 5 pints once!

Was the counsel for not keeping up with the elders to get the rounds in?

I got counseled for the stickers on the back of my car in the hall car park. One said 'Fresh Air Ram Technology', and the other, 'Performance Enhancing Noise Induction System'. Funnily enough, now that I remember they never said anything to me about it, they went to see my dad instead.

• potleg
    potleg

I was in the British branch office in the mid to late 70's I worked alongside Jack (John) Barr, now of Governing Body fame in the job press dept. One time I was told I had a bad habit...putting my hands in my pockets while the press was running...it looked slovenly.Another time the factory overseer, Phil Reece heard me whistling some tune or other while I was working, again inappropriate. Just down the road from us was the "Adam & Eve" pub, we'd often go down and have a few pints after the Thursday night meeting and meet up with other young bros and sisters. We all got a lot of flack about that from the branch overseer Wilf Gooch. I remember him warning us to stay away from the girls, he'd say "when you have a girl friend Bethel loses half of you" We all thought it was stupid especially as he had a wife.

• caligirl
    caligirl

Wearing dangly earings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit