What's the most ridiculous thing you were ever counselled on?

by micheal 142 Replies latest jw friends

• aunthill
    aunthill

Hm-m-m-m, let me see -

I was timid, and kept a fairly low profile, so I received little direct criticism counsel, but I remember the PO's wife counseling me to take my 1 yr old outside, instead of to the restroom, because they could hear her crying in the hall (my daughter had better sense than I did!)

I was delighted when long skirts first came out, since we seemed to receive weekly theocratic(tm) counsel from the platform on our skirts being too short (what were we supposed to do - it was all you could buy) - then we got counseled that long skirts were faddish! Make up your mind!

I had an unbelieving husband and worked full time, so I had asked another brother to study with my son. Well, one week my son told me that Bro X couldn't study with him anymore, he didn't know why. When I call Bro X, he told me that one of the elders(tm) had told him he couldn't conduct the study because it was my Jehover given responsility to do it. I called Bro Elder and asked him if he preferred that my son got no study, as I was unable to study with him and do everything else (work full time, attend 5 meetings a week, get 10 hrs in service, work full time, keep house, ad infinitum) and he promptly backed off. Another glowing example of Matt 18.

Aunthill

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

The most ridiculous one by far for me:

I was pioneering and went with another pioneer sister to a small town to check it out (to see if the need was greater and we could help out.) On the way home (this will date me) we went through Spokane, Washington while the World's Fair was on. On entering the fair, a clown (yes a clown in full makeup) stands in front of me and starts going into this routine. So I start kidding around and play along.

I get herded into a full judicial committee for flirting with a clown. I kid you not. On second thought could there be anything worse than flirting with a clown? Well, you know, as a regular pioneer we were held to a "higher standard." ****snicker****

Gretchen

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    ...we seemed to receive weekly theocratic(tm) counsel from the platform on our skirts being too short (what were we supposed to do - it was all you could buy) - then we got counseled that long skirts were faddish!

The brothers at the coal-face realised that the trend away from short skirts was detrimental to THEIR pleasure, obviously!

• nobody told me
    nobody told me

An elder told me not to read-- Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

WOW! So many gem-like examples of the ridiculous here, yall....I was counseled from the platform by the C.O. for trying to help my son get baptised.....it was ridiculingly called "nepotism"....of course, our names weren't used, but everyone in the cong knew who he meant....I guess I'm in good company with God, who's a "nepotist," also, according to scriptural content.

I was also counseled by an elder and warned about asking after and planning to visit a sister with 4 small children who'd just lost her husband in an auto accident. The elder warned me that the sister was very "labile" emotionally.....I glared at him and told him, "Good! I'd be worried if she were otherwise."

Frannie B

• micheal
    micheal

I was actually counselled to shave more closley. Which means I had to go from an electric razor to a manual one.

Crazy thing to counsel someone on but in hindsight I have used and much prefer the manual razor since then, which was some 10 years ago. As smooth as a baby's bottom.

• wednesday
    wednesday

For those of u who know the arse hole Don Farmer, the CO here in Dallas, he once counselled (insulted me actually)me. remember the skit on SNL with the 2 polish guys? Steve Martin and one of the other SNL guys. Well this was in the later 70's and we had some polish people move into our cong. and there was these 2 young guys and I was kidding them about being "2 wild and crazy guys" and he called me "disgusting in my filth". I am NOT KIDDING.

I believe that should be a winner of something.

• Globetrotter
    Globetrotter

Wednesday,

I wonder if he made the connection to SNL, and if so, why could he? I mean, he shouldn't have been watching it.

If the the comment was tossed at you merely for your choice of "wild and crazy" or "guys", he's just a freakin' moron.

• wednesday
    wednesday

U know, Globetrotter,

I hadn't thought of that. He shouldn't have been watching it, ( but i was) but who among us did not, a few times anyhow? I know most saw the one with Steve Maritn , "king Tut". It was widely advertised and well it was freaking lol. even after all these years it cracks me up. All i said to the young (about age 15-16) guys was "hey u 2 wild and crazy guys" and he said the above. I wan't very old myself at the time, but out of my teens.

• Sassy
    Sassy

well I guess the most ridiculous thing I was ever counselled on was my attire for a congregation picnic. Someone approached the elders thinking my shorts were "too short". Now we are not talking hight cut and show some 'booty'.. but short with a 1 inch slit on the side. No one ever could do the 'approach someone if you have a problem' in the congregation first.. AS the scriptures direct, NO, we always got to jumpt straight to the elders and tell them we are stumbled by something and then they come to you and tell you that you did this.....or you did that.. and someone was offended.. we weren't even told who had a problem with it.. so we couldn't even begin to take the step to make peace with our brother.. all we got was a reprimand by the elders.. and I got it for my 'short shorts...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit