What's the most ridiculous thing you were ever counselled on?

by micheal 142 Replies latest jw friends

• Hamas
    Hamas
    or maybe he would have preferred a picture of Brad Pitt LOL

hahaha !

You are probably right, man ! I had him down as a bit of a homo.

Michael :

Rock on, man !

• shotgun
    shotgun

Judicial meeting because I held the child of a disfellowshipped couple at an assembly...

They were close friends before they got df'd and I hadn't seen them in years so when I saw them and heard they were working towards reinstatement I asked the grandparents who were not df'd to get the baby and I'd take him for a bit...they agreed and someone got a stiffy over it.....Unneccesary contact it was called and I was told I was being given private reproof.

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

Shotgun, you've gotta be kidding, these people have nothing better to do. You were holding their baby for God's sake. And they call that love? - V Sky

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

I was once told to remove a link from my personal web page. The link took you to greenpeace and it showed how to build a nuclear bomb. lol

• micheal
    micheal

Shotgun: Wow the love of these guys is so tremendous. After reading all of these posts - WHO REALLY ARE THE MODERN DAY PHARISEE'S - so obvious, they really do put rules and traditions ahead of love.

• core
    core
    Judicial meeting because I held the child of a disfellowshipped couple at an assembly...

Are these people mad! What right have they got to do this - scum is the only word that comes to mind (which I can print)

• undercover
    undercover

They were close friends before they got df'd and I hadn't seen them in years so when I saw them and heard they were working towards reinstatement I asked the grandparents who were not df'd to get the baby and I'd take him for a bit...they agreed and someone got a stiffy over it.....Unneccesary contact it was called and I was told I was being given private reproof.

Something similar happened in a hall that I was associated with years ago: Sister with unbelieving husband gets DF'd. She has two kids in grade school. Very popular at the hall. Several of the friends offered to go and pick them up for service and for any meetings that the DF'd sister couldn't make because of work. Elders, who had nothing but hatred for the sister who was in trouble, denied any help to her kids. Several people were upset. The kids did no wrong. Why are they being shunned, was the question of the day. Elders said it was her responsibility and no one was to offer help of any kind. Over time she left and never came back. Looking back, it was the best thing she did.

A few years later, a similar situation happened in another hall I was in. This time the sister who was DF'd had her kids picked up and brought to all meetings and service by elders, elders wives, MS and their wives and anyone else who offered. No one complained or offered criticism of the situation. The inconsistencies of treatment by different people in the same situation did not go unnoticed by me though. I file it away in the back of my head and it has been brought back to the surface by the experience above. Another good example of hypocrisy.

• jschwehm
    jschwehm

I was counseled while working at Bethel for smiling too much while working...

I was counseled that my hair was too long because the back of my hair touched the top of my shirt collar. So, they were not going to let me give a part on the circuit assembly because of the length of my hair.

Speaking of the circuit assembly....I was at a circuit assembly one time and a really good friend of mine gave a demonstration on how to place some piece of watchtower literature. It seemed that she did a good job to me. The next day, the Circuit Overseer apologizes to the assembly for the skirt this sister wore on the platform to do the part. My friend was mortified. I saw her the next week and she asked me what I thought about her skirt. I told her that I was not paying attention to what she was wearing. She said that the reason they hated it was because she had a slit in the back. I figured the slit was there so that she could actually walk with it on. I did not remember it being all that high. In any case, I thought it was a tempest in a teapot.

Oh yea, my wife (this was before we were married) once bought her younger brother a really stylish GQ like suit while we were at Bethel. My brother-in-law would wear this suit to his hall in NYC and get all kinds of compliments. When me and my brother-in-law went back to PA for a visit and he wore his suit, he was hauled into the back room by the elders and told never to wear that "hairy suit" again because it reflected poorly on him as a Bethelite.

At Bethel my roommate was counseled by my home overseer for having a Georgia Bulldog Nat'l Championship on his dresser. This was even though it was given to him by a brother from his home congregation. The Home Overseer told him it was not appropriate for a Bethelite to have that in his room.

When I first got to Bethel, I was wearing a New Orleans Saints T-shirt since I am from New Orleans. I was counseled that I was not to wear that shirt in public while walking through Bethel. That I would have to wear a shirt over it and once I got outside of Bethel then it was okay to wear the shirt.

While at Bethel, I had this desk in my room. One day the housekeeper or the home overseer noticed that there was something on the desk that they could not clean off of it. I was doing remodeling work one day when my work overseer tells me that I have a phone call. When I got to the phone, the home overseer wanted to know what was on my desk. I told him that I did not know what it was on my desk and that I had not noticed any problems with the desk. He immediately chewed me out for what was on the desk that they could not clean off and he told me that the desk would have to be refinished and that they were thinking about making me pay for it. He eventually told me that they would pay for it themselves but that if it happened again they would take the money out of my allowance to replace the desk. He also told me that I had a problem because I did not appreciate the provisions of the "Faithful Slave" in this matter.

I think I will stop here...I got plenty more.

Jeff S.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

shotgun. I'll bet that was just one more of those little bumps in the road, that made you think, hmmmm.

This topic comes up here every 6 months or so, and I am just amazed at the stupid, petty, utterly ridiculous cases that are mentioned here. Nothing like living your life under a microscope huh?

And then the incongruity of almost identical situations.

And we just accepted that at the time. blecchh!

• micheal
    micheal

When we truly believed that these moronic men held life and death before us, it was amazing what we did and what we put up with. It really is liberating that we can look back now at the stupid things told to us and understand that we will never ever be put through that abusive life again.

They hold no power over us any longer!!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit