What's the most ridiculous thing you were ever counselled on?

by micheal 142 Replies latest jw friends

• Phil
    Phil

He was bald, and his shiny head looked like a penis, so my sister and I started calling him Brother Dingdong or Dingalin

g behind his back. One look at that gleaming head during a meeting, and we would start with the puerile penis jokes and start poking each other and snickering

There is no way I could find what you did (mocking and making fun of another human being) acceptable. You ought to be ashamed of yourself. JW or not. If you are 12 or 13 I would understand. However you should have been repremanded by your parents. What you did was not funny in the least.

• Piph
    Piph

I was brought to the back room for listening to my underage friend tell me about when he and all his guy friends got drunk together. I didn't tell on them, so I was a sharer in their sins. I was a regular pioneer at the time, and they said they seriously considered removing that "privilege". Dammit! Shoulda taken them up on it!

• Badger
    Badger

Let's go chronolgically:

Age 10: Helping a classmate with a 4-H project. You think it would have been something like a flag salute or something OBVIOUSLY against teachings, right? Nope...it was helping him show a hog.

Age 12: Trying to organize a soccer game after a meeting. I even took pains to do it during the week, and not a the meeting.

Age 13: While out in service, reading the David and Goliath story -- c'mon, you all still like it, too -- to a 6 y.o. sister, I joked to an elderette that I always thought there was a second slingman on the grassy knoll. She, nor her husband, cared for that.The dear young sister, however, laughed.

Age 14: I was on the debate, mock trial and academic team. My parents said cool. An elder got on the platform and said ALL extracurriculars were wrong. And he should know...he's a dad...(of five kids...all homeschooled...only one still in the org...nice batting average, brother)

Age 15: poking fun at an obnoxious new elder's hair loss (actually, I probably deserved that one)

Age 16: Taking the ACT test. I kid you not. (I got a 32)

Age 17: Writing a letter to the editor of the small town paper praising our H.S. teachers. Didn't say anything about them deserving a raise or anything close to political...just a note of appreciation. Of course, out of 10 kids around my age, I was only one of two still in school

Age 18: This starts getting stupid. I had a (well-known) crush on a sister who made Cindy Crawford look like Ethel Merman. I went to D.C. for a national debate tournament (Parents said OK, and ignored the elder, now an ex-elder, thanks to his little angels) and brought her back a Hard Rock Cafe T-shirt, per her wish (which was my command). I gave her the shirt at her house, and she invited me to eat with her and her mom. I did, and was NEVER alone or never tried anything -- trust me, if I did, I would be bragging about it. The Elders got on to me for visiting the various Gov't sites, going to the HRC, and seeking the company of the (yeow!) sister so young in life.

The harder I tried, the worser it got. During pioneering, I was frequently counseled for not placing enough or having enough RVs, for listening to secular music, for organizing a trip to see a hockey game after service, For reading the paper out in service, For trying to show interest in sisters (again, I got NOWHERE with them), for spending too long at a door (the elder in the group had an appointment). I finally took the "loose cannon" approach: "It's a conscience matter, ain't it? Well, my conscience doesn't bother me!"

They've stopped counselling me, aside from "Try to make more meetings" line. I don't mind that so much...that kind of sounds like I'm wanted.

• thekellyhome2002
    thekellyhome2002

I questioned why some people who came for visits to our congregation talked about watching R rated movies and why I could not. Please do not blast me for what I am about to say, I am only telling you what the elder told me. He said "some" of the other congregations (i.e. black and spanish) were more lax and that they couldn't be expected to know any better. I kid you not. When I questioned it again to another elder I basically got the answer that I knew it was wrong so don't do it, and don't worry about other people. I was basically made to feel guilty for asking.

Also, I got it for saying Jez (as in "Jez, I almost stayed a witness") in a talk. I was told that it's a shortened form of Jesus Christ. News to me.

• shamus
    shamus

Being a skinhead.

I am being serious.

My barber was black at the time, too.

• wednesday
    wednesday

I was once getting our of my car at the KH and a truck driver honked and waved and I waved back. An elder (who i know had the hots for me) severely counseled me and blamed me for the guy waving Can Ihelp it if he has good taste? lol

• wednesday
    wednesday

Oh yeah, once my hubby and kids and myself were about in FS and we had all just seen the first Ghost Busters. We were laughing about it and received a lot of counsel for that.

and one timeI was working out in FS and I guess i appeared too filled with the holyspirit, and someone actually had an elder work with me to make sure i was not teaching apostate things.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

While at work (at a fast food restaurant), one of our cooks went into labor. Her husband could not be reached, so the manager told me to take her to the hospital myself. One of the other female employees went with us as well. I worked with an elder's daughter, so news of this reached the 'brothers' very quickly. After the next meeting, I was counselled for bad association and being alone with two worldly girls.

I was later counselled because I had been writing to a sister in another congregation. (Man, writing with actual paper and stamp stuff... how 1991 is that?) I had met her family and she mine at the last DC. We seemed to hit it off rather well and they came for a visit and stayed with another family. I got counseled because I had not contacted the elders at her hall to see if she would be a proper wife. And, the visit implicitly implied we were now courting. "There are rules that Jehovah gives us to protect us from putting ourselves in situations where whe might sin," one old elder, who was at the first session about the preg coworker, told me. "And you MUST follow those rules!" He also reminded me that this was not the first time that I had been brought into the backroom because of in appropriate interactions with females. I was blown away! We had never been alone together and were only writing each other. Apparently, the old elder didn't think much of me other than I was trying to get into all these women's pants.

It wasn't too long after this that I stopped going to the meetings. You know, the only thing I regret about not going back to the Kingdom Hell is that I didn't get to see the look on that one old elder's face when he found out that not only was I gay, but I met a man, fell in love and had a gay wedding!

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    My barber was black at the time, too.

What colour is he now?

But seriously, was that one of the things they counselled you on - that he was black??

• got my forty homey?
    got my forty homey?

I was counseled once at bethel for joking about my getting baptized at the upcoming district convention. The funny part was that i didn't even start the joke, another idiot bethelite started it, and being one who can laugh at himself I let the joke slide without getting upset or reporting the brother.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit