What's the most ridiculous thing you were ever counselled on?

by micheal 142 Replies latest jw friends

• micheal
    micheal

One of the cornerstones of jw's is counsel. They just love to give counsel and many times they will literally make things up just for the sake of counsel.

I was once counselled for joking around too much. Not practical jokes, just joking too much. Talk about trying to break someone's spirit.

How about you? What is the stupidest thing you were ever counselled on?

• Reborn2002
    Reborn2002

Wearing sideburns to the bottom of my ear.

Seriously.

I was taken to the backroom by the elders and counseled on this. I was told that such an overgrowth of hair follicles on the side of my face was a showy display of rebelliousness and desire to be different with worldly fashions and trends.

I was told that if I did not trim my sideburns I would be removed from microphone-carrying privileges.

I told them where to go fv<k themselves. (in so many words)

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Using the internet and visiting "apostate" web sites. I mean, let get real here. What possibly could be the harm in that ?

xjw_be one too......who never jokes around !

• SixofNine
    SixofNine

I was publicly reproved for being seen purchasing 500 thead count pillow cases when "the son of man has no place to rest his head".

I think they were out to get me.

• micheal
    micheal

Are you serious six?!!! Wow that is Crazy!!! What a bunch of freaks.

• nobody told me
    nobody told me

I was counselled about talking to a single sister in the parking lot after a meeting. It was light out and several people were in the parking lot. I was single at the time and I guess that was bad? I was told we needed to get married so people will stop talking(gossipping). Controlling jerks!!!!!

• shamus
    shamus

Reborn,

Nice to see you posting again!

Nice story, too. I knew quite a few people who had that happen! That's ridiculous!

I was counseled on looking like a skinhead, b/c my hair was too short. My barber at the time was black, too. He just laughed....

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

This didn't happen to me, it happened to my service partner, a young pretty sister. An MS and an elder wanna be told her that her lipstick was too red for the ministry, it looked too brazen. I couldn't believe it. I said, 'You're kidding right?' He was dead serious. Said it distracts from the message. I said, 'Why are you looking at her lips in the first place?' He glared at me, then she tells him 'Look, you're not my head or my dad, you can't tell me what shade of lipstick to wear.' He just wouldn't let it drop. Then he said we would never find brothers to marry with our bad attitude. Aw, that's just too bad, I could've ended up with a gem like him! - V Sky

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

Oh man where do I even begin to start?!?!

I got a lot of counsel from the platform or in comments made during the meetings. Though my name wasn't mentioned, the Gestapo made sure talk went around to everyone that it was me they were talking about. Reading Hot Rod Magazine, (and I mean the one about CARS!), talking about cars in field service, attending quick-builds that were not in "our area" -- that elder stood up there and emphatically said it was NOT to be done but I went anyway, going out with other dubs to eat after conventions, reading comic books -- they actually made my best friend get up on the platform and talk about how he used to read them but it was wrong so he stopped.

I'm sure there were plenty other "sins" because for a long time I was in the back room with the Theocratic Police just about every Thursday night but I really can't remember them now. Which I guess is a good thing. I look back at that now and all I can do is shake my head and laugh a little. How insane can you get when you've got to try and control when and where someone can Serve Jehovah (tm) or when it's not acceptable to go out for Good Association (tm) ?

Mike.

• Ravyn
    Ravyn

I was counselled on wearing light blue frosted nail polish---I was told I would be raped for it.

I was told my skirts were too LONG. And that it was inappropriate to wear my long skirts with boots in So.Cal. They said I looked too NYC and was not trying to modestly fit in. ('fit in' meant to wear pastel suits with mini skirts and shoulder pads, or polyester, and of course not look better than the elders wives.)

And I was nearly kicked off an assembly part for wearing 'colored' pantyhose(they were black rather than beige). They really freaked when I wore navy, burgundy, or hunter green tights!

Ravyn

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit