Flat earth vs round earth

by Jrjw 315 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hairtrigger
    Hairtrigger

Now that’s what eating flatbread does to you...flat earth, flathead,flat out stupid ,flat on your ass adamant that living in a flat proves that a globe is ...exactly...FLAT!!!! Now excuse me while I flatulate flattering flat air from the beer that was?....RIGHT AGAIN....absolutely!!!! FLAT!!!!

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

Waton- actually that's the kind of misinformation I was referring to. Even if well intentioned, it's wrong. Given sufficient distance on a flat plane, you have the same effect with the horizon. In fact, almost all math works the same when you are just one observer on/near the surface (near meaning not in space)

I'm not a flat earth proponent, as I have mentioned, but bad science doesn't help anyone.

The question is though, who cares? Rounders think Flatters are stupid, Flatters thing Rounders are deceived, but aside from ego issues, who really cares? We navigate by flat earth models on land, sea and air, we build according to flat earth models, and so much more but really if you are not doing that, and the model you use for what you're doing works, what's the difference?

The world could use a little less US vs THEM.

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

P.S.

NASA releases faked imagery from time to time, as do other space agencies. This is simply and easily proven if you take the time to examine official imagery and have a critical eye and open mind to see what your eyes are telling you. That doesn't make it flat or not, doesn't support either position but yes your governments (gasp!) lie to you.

• waton
    waton
    you have the same effect with the horizon. In fact, almost all math works the same when you are just one observer on/near the surface. mrroboto

There are no tangents to a flat earth measurable fro above the surface. I have yet to see a ship coming over the horizon of my 30 mile horizon if it would be a flat disk, but:

yes, even the measurements of the globe's diameter made by the greeks,~ 200 BC, looking down into a well, measuring the length of a solar shadow variation, , could be made on a flat earth, but what would the results show?

flat earth, view of a small world by small minds

• MrRoboto
    MrRoboto

Waton- yes more us vs them, exactly what we need - let the name calling begin!

If you are talking about Eratosthenes, his measurements are just measurements. What they mean is a matter of mindset. If you are a rounder, it means the earth is about 250,000 stadia in circumference. Conversely though, to a flat earther, it means that the sun was at a particular distance away from one point that was measured, and a different distance from the other point giving a close sun and flat earth. You can't prove either POV from just the measurements.

Its bad science to draw one conclusion from measurements that have more than one interpretation. Eratosthenes did this. Many today do this but it's still bad science.

Add it to your supporting evidence of you must but it's not proof. Not for either side.

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

The flat earthers could use Splanes' classic overlapping introduction when they get started, ' ... Now, let's just assume for the sake of argument..."

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

Sorry. To be exact, "....just for the sake of argument suppose that we assume...'

• Esse quam videri
    Esse quam videri

'Just for the sake of argument suppose that we assume' that we forget everything we have learned for the past 500 years.

• jp1692
    jp1692
    MrRoboto: NASA releases faked imagery from time to time, as do other space agencies.

Okay. If you’re going to make outrageous claims like this you need to back it up with hard evidence otherwise you need to shut the fuck up!

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Sigh.... all 3 categories on display on one thread. So predictable.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit